Chapter Thirty-Three: Good Intentions

"Would you marry me?" Illumi repeated to you, still coming down from his high of love-making.

"We... we couldn't."

"I know this." Illumi murmured into your hair. "But would you?" He was willfully ignoring the threat from Hisoka in the back of his mind. The threat, muttered quietly as they stepped on the island, that said Hisoka would kill Killua if Illumi cut off communication with him. It was too horrible to think about.

"Of course." You answered happily. Of course you would marry him. You were an adult now and even though your parents hadn't worked out, you figured you had spent enough of your life away from them that their influence wouldn't rub off on you.

With this, Illumi was content. He wanted to guarantee that if he went through the trouble of convincing his family, that you wouldn't turn around and say no. That would be the worse thing in my entire life... next to having my son ripped away from me. I wonder what he's doing now.

Killua was doing absolutely fine of course, having gotten his tag. And he was wandering around looking for you. He missed you.

"Mamaaaaaaaa-chan! MAMA-CHAAAAN?" He called throughout the island, worried that you hadn't immediately appeared by his side.

"Illumi do you hear that?" You asked, worried.

He sighed. He didn't want to let you go, but he knew he had to, especially with that threat looming over him. He thrusted you up towards the dirt ceiling, until you broke through.

Standing up and wiping the dirt off of you, you went in search of your son. It didn't take long, since he was literally screaming for you.

"Yes, Killu?" You appeared behind him, seemingly instantly.

"Mama-chan! Are you okay! Did you get your tag? I tried to get it for you, but I couldn't find the guy."

You laughed at your son being so cute and caring.

"I got the tag almost instantly. No wounds even, see?" So long as he didn't see your purple neck, you'd be fine.

"Hmmm... okay! I wonder what Gon's doing." He hugged you and you stroked his fluffy, white hair.

"Would you like to go find him?"

"No, I want to spend time with you. There's only a day left anyway. Do you have any candies in your bag, Mama-chan?"

"Maybe just for you!" You pulled out a lollipop for him and he gleefully took it. Just as he was about to drop the wrapper on the ground you looked at him. "Nu-uh, hand it over. We treat the planet nicely. And littering hurts her feelings"

He grumped as he handed the wrapper over. "I'm not six you know."

"Well then why do you litter?"

He just leaned against you, pouting while he suck on his lollipop.

"Let me do your hair, Killu. You need it washed and brushed."

Another groan was emitted but he grabbed your hand as you lead him to a small river. This was also a chance for you both to take a quick bath. Stripping down to underwear, you both walked into the cold water. You felt a familiar presence watching over you. Looking around, you figured Illumi was nearby and sent him a wink. Then, you proceeded to run your fingers through Killua's hair.

"Why don't you take care of your hair, Killu? Am I going to be washing it for the next eighty years?"

"No, you're leaving soon." Killua smiled up at you.

Confused, you asked, "What do you mean?"

"I know my family forces you to take care of me. But if I can prove I'm strong enough to be a hunter, then you can go free!"

"How could I ever leave you, Killu!?"

"Even if you don't, I want you to have the option."

You leaned down and kissed his cheek as you both exited the river.

"Let me do your hair."

"Let me have another candy."

"Oh fine." You sighed. He could be so difficult sometimes. But you loved him so much.