Chapter Thirty-Four: Too Long, Kil

You had passed the exam. You and quite a few others. Luckily the airship was there to take you off the boring island and to the final exam. While waiting on the airship however, your grandfather called everyone in one by one. Finally, when it was your turn, you walked into the room and sat yourself down informally.

"Yeah, Jii-san?" You questioned him.

"Ohohoho, you seem eager to finish the exam. Figures we'd have a bunch of rookies pass the year you decided to join us."

"Get on with it, old man. I just want to get away from you."

"Who do you least want to fight?"

"Gon. Killu would hate if I made him fail."

"Who are you keeping an eye on?"

"Il-Gittarackur. He's been following me the whole exam."

"Fine, leave your lonely old Jii-san for whatever else you deem better."

"Damn you, old man! You're making me feel bad, when you should be the one who feels bad!" You stomped over, kissed his cheek and left.

There was only time for a quick dreamless sleep. By the time you had awoken, you were at the final stage, in what looked like a gym.

As your grandfather explained the rules, you looked at him impressed. Making it so all but one person passes? How unusually fair of him. You were however, utterly uninterested. Beside the fact that Killua's new friend was much stronger than you originally thought, it was generally obvious. Finally, it was your turn.

Leorio had been up against you, but instead of allowing this to be a drawn out fight, you simply flashed your scythe and requested he forfeit. And he promptly did.

It was official. You were going to be a hunter. You were very pleased with yourself, but this wasn't over. Killua and Illumi still needed to pass. And now it was their turn to fight. You wondered how this was going to go.

"It's been too long, Kil." He began.

Instead of forfeiting, like you assumed he would, Illumi decided now would be a great time to reveal his identity. This sent Killua into a shock.

"I heard that you cut up Mom and Milluki. Mom was crying..." Illumi began.

"Anyone would cry if their son did that to them!" You heard someone whisper. But your heart rate was increasing. Killua was panicking and Illumi was setting off a smothering aura. Killua didn't know anything about nen yet. This would feel like he was dying.

"Tears of joy." Illumi finished. He continued talking, but your hearing stopped working.

Who is this man?  Pushing his son like this. Scaring him, pushing him away from his own dream. He said he was going easy on him. He said he loved him. Loved me. Why isn't Killua running or fighting? Illumi's threatening Gon. He's walking away from Killua. Oh my... why isn't Killua going to stop him. He could. What's wrong with him? Why does he look like Illumi's in his head... Oh no. He wouldn't. He wouldn't have stuck a needle in Killu's head.

"You don't have the right to have friends." Illumi's words echoed in your ears.

"I forfeit." Killua had been defeated by the very fear that was implanted in his head by his own father.

"You... monster." you whispered. Illumi however, looked right at you as he exited the makeshift arena.

You glared at him, as you watched your son ruthlessly murder an innocent man. By your grandfather's rules, this meant that Killua was going to be the one to fail.

"I'll wait for you outside Mama-chan. Then we can go home." Killua refused to look you in the eyes as he exited the door.