Chapter Twelve: Welcome To The World, Killua!

The labor lasted another four hours. First time mothers often had long labors, you had heard. But it was exhausting. With each of the Zoldycks coming in and out constantly to see if the newest Zoldyck had arrived. And finally, he did.

"One final push mistress. The child's shoulders are almost out." The midwife pressured you.

"You can do it, YN" Illumi cheered you on. He had left briefly to get himself food, as you were too nauseated to eat. But he had come back as soon as he heard any progress was made. "Tsubone, please alert the family that our baby is almost here." She nodded and left.

You took one big inhale and with what strength was left, you pushed. A feeling of release washed over you as the midwife caught the child and immediately placed them on your bare chest. Tears fell from your eyes as you tried to comfort the screaming infant.

"The hardest part is over now, but we do still have the placenta. There will be a bit more pushing, but you may feel free to massage the vernix into their skin and begin to try to feed. I will assist you with that shortly."

"What is the sex?" Illumi asked you as he gently stroked the soft, white hair of his newborn child. You peaked down quickly.

"It is a boy!" You cheered out. You didn't really care about the sex, but it would make choosing a name much easier.

Hmm. White hair, boy... I wonder how Father will react. Especially if he has blue eyes. Illumi worried briefly. But I doubt he will. He will probably have YN's eyes. He certainly has my skin tone.

Within the next half hour, you expelled the placenta and your son was cut away from the organ. The midwife then whisked him away in order to clean him off a little bit, give him his vaccines and other newborn tests, and wrap him in clothes you had picked out previously. You hadn't had any real success in feeding him yet, but you figured that would come soon enough. Illumi sat next to you, stroking your hand and kissing your forehead over and over.

Then, the family came in. Everyone was excited, even Kikyo, who was a few months pregnant now, congratulated you. Illumi let everyone know that you had birthed a boy, causing Kikyo to sigh. She had desperately wanted a granddaughter to dress up, although she would never admit it. Next, your son was brought back in, swaddled in a fuzzy blanket and handed to Illumi to hold for the first time.

Everyone swooned and moved towards the baby boy. However, the baby then chose to open his eyes, an unavoidable action that would change his, your and Illumi's lives forever. They were blue. Zeno and Silva looked at each other with urgency and quickly left the room together. Kikyo quickly followed. You looked over at Illumi with panic in your eyes. What was happening? Was something wrong?

They came back in, a somber look on Zeno's face, an excited look on Kikyo's face and a blank look on Silva's face.

"LN-chan..." Silva began, unsure of how to proceed. Zeno held up his hand to stop his son. He felt that you would take the news better from him.

"You've given birth to the rightful heir before Kikyo has. This has never happened before. And in our family, it is unacceptable for there not to be an heir from each generation. I'm afraid... Well I'm afraid this is no longer your and Illumi's child. It must be Kikyo and Silva's now, in order to preserve our family tradition."

"No..." You looked over at Illumi and Milluki who were looking at the baby blankly, as if trying to detach themselves from it. "No! You can't do that! That's my baby! I gave birth to him! I have milk for him! He knows my voice!" You were once again hysterical. You couldn't believe this was happening. You felt your heart pounding in your ears as you saw Illumi handing the baby over to Kikyo. "No! He's ours! Mine and Illu's!" Tears once again pouring from your face. "I'll tell my parents! My grandfather! They won't accept it!"

"I'm afraid they will YN-chan. You unknowingly accepted this fate when you decided to have this baby. Knowing your grandfather, he will agree with me, which means your father will too." Zeno sat next to you on your bed, pulling you into an awkward hug. "But I'm willing to make a compromise with you. If you are willing to give up your right as his mother, you may be the nanny for him and any future children Kikyo has. You'll act as his mother, without the title. We will employ you and pay you handsomely as well as continue to train you. Can you agree to this?"

You looked over towards Illumi, now childless. "Are you going to agree to this, Illu?"

Expression now as blank as ever before, he responded to you. "I do not have a choice. This is my family's way and their choice." However, deep in his eyes you thought you saw something. Something that was pleading with you to take the deal and not leave him.

"Very well Zeno-sama. I accept your offer."

"Marvelous!" Kikyo screeched, causing the baby to screech in return. "I've named him Killua, you may address him and the rest of us with the -sama honorific." She handed baby Killua over to you to feed and comfort. "And as a note, we do not condone relationships between staff and the family. Take that as you will."

And with that, your relationship with Illumi and your son as you knew it, had ended.