Chapter Forty-Nine: Making the Calls

A few weeks later, you decided it was time to call Killua and Kalluto. Milluki of course already knew about your engagement, so you didn't have to tell him. You had begun spending more time with Alluka, with whom you had been separated from for quite a long time, so you had of course let her know. You had also been practicing telling the family about your condition with her, which made her very happy to be let in on such a secret.

"Mama-chan, are you calling Nii-san today?" Alluka asked you as she sat on your lap, allowing you to brush and style her hair.

"Yeah, I know I should. Neither him nor Kallu will be happy to hear it I'm sure."

"Why not? I'm happy if Mama-chan is happy."

"Well I certainly hope that they'll have the same attitude. Do you want me to leave to call them, or stay here?"

"Stay here! Stay here Mama-chan! No one ever comes to see me anymore. Not since Nii-san left." She frowned and looked at you hopefully.

"And what about you, Nanika? Would you rather I stay?" You stroked Alluka's hair as her face transformed. Nanika simply nodded and smiled.

"Alright, I'll keep doing your hair, so sit up nicely." You said as you pulled out your cell phone.

You typed in Killua's number, held the phone between your ear and shoulder and continued styling Alluka's hair.

"Mama-chan, I have so much to tell you!" Killua cheered, when he answered the phone.

"Oh? I have something to tell you as well, but why don't you go ahead."

"Well we were inside the game, Greed Island, and we..." His story went on, and on and on. And it was interesting! Greed Island seemed like a very interesting game. "And then we started training with Bisky!"

"Wait. Don't tell me you just said Bisky. Bisky Krueger?"

"Yeah, why?"

"That devious old lady. What was she there for?"

"Do you know her? She just said some gem."

"It's always some stupid gem. That's my mom, Killu."

"That perverted old lady is your MOM?" Killua was shocked. He simply couldn't imagine it.

"Yeah, yeah I know. Honestly, you should consider yourself incredibly lucky to train with her. She's a top nen user. Just not a great mom... Anyway, just continue with your story, I'm happy to hear it." It also allowed you to put off the great/terrible news of your impending marriage.

"Well and then there was this whole fight!..." Killua continued on once again, passing at least fifteen more minutes. "... and now we're with some guy named Kite-san that Ging-san trained!"

"Wow, I am so glad that you are learning so much Killua. You're growing up so fast, that you won't even need Mama-chan anymore ever again!" You sniffled and wiped at your eyes, feeling particularly emotional.

"Mama-chan, I need you!" Alluka called out as she hugged you. You rubbed her back and held your cell phone in your hand.

"Was that Alluka? Let me talk to her!" Killua demanded. And of course you allowed it. The two were very close, so you liked to allow them to talk when you could.

And that took up another forty-five minutes. Eventually you took your phone back.

"Killua, I have to tell you something now."

"Yes, Mama-chan?"

"Illumi and I are getting married." Killua looked at his phone in pure anger. Pure panic. He had to come home. He had to save you.

"No." And he hung up.

"He didn't like that, did he?" Alluka asked.

"Nope. No, he did not. I'll have to try again later. But for now I need to call Kalluto."

"Rub my head." Nanika commanded.

You sighed. You didn't really have time for this, but you didn't have a choice. You rubbed her head.

"Kiss my forehead." Was the next request. You did so happily.

"Braid my hair." Was the final request. You rolled your eyes, but smiled. Nanika must have missed you as well. As you braided her hair quickly, she entered wish-granting mode.

"Can I have a hug please?" You asked. And Nanika happily obliged.

Finally, you called Kalluto. After a little bit of general conversation you got to the problem at hand.

"Kallu, baby, I'm getting married to Illumi."

"But Mama-chan... why? I hate him."

"I know you do, baby. I know. But I do love him. We were together before you were even born, and I put it on hold to raise you and your siblings. Now that you don't need me so much, and I'm not your nanny anymore, I figure it's time I get to be with the person I love. Maybe I can help him be good. Be better, you know?"

"I don't like this Mama-chan."

"But could you try, for me, Kallu?"

"I'll think about it. I'll come home and see you."

"Alright, I love you Kallu. Have fun. Try and be safe."

And with that you hung up the phone and let out a sigh. It went about as well as you thought it would.