Chapter Twenty-One: Age Twelve... Starting The Story

The job that had once been quite pleasant was now extremely taxing on your psyche. Killua was rebelling against the family, not that you could blame him. Instead of allowing Killua some freedom to explore the world around him, as you had been able to, he was locked away. Watching him get angry at the smallest things however, were becoming very nostalgic.

Ah, I'm suddenly so old. I feel as if I've been through so many chapters in my life in such a short time. Like I'm binging my own life. I'm in my twenties and I've done nothing but train and be a live-in nanny. I raised two... and a half... or maybe four... who knows... anyway, I've raised a gaggle of kids and gotten so much better at nen and yet I haven't seen the outside world since I was a teen.

And it was true. You hadn't been outside the Zoldyck estate since you were pregnant. You hadn't seen your parents, not that they expected you to check in, and you hadn't traveled the world as you had planned. And it didn't look like it was happening any time soon. At least you had earned enough money to travel the world in luxury for the rest of your life. Perks of being a Zoldyck employee, you guessed. But you felt an itch to get out. Similar to your son. Now that he and Kalluto didn't need you as much anymore, you wondered why you were still here. So today, you were going to ask Zeno.

"How long am I contractually obligated to stay here? Until Killua is a legal adult?"

"No, no, YN-chan dear. When Killua no longer needs you, you are free to go. Or until we deem that he no longer needs you."

"Ah. Alright. That sounds reasonable."

But to Killua, who was listening in, this was not reasonable. I'm just a... contract to her? No. No way. They must have tricked Mama-chan. They must be keeping her here because I'm not strong enough. I have to prove it! I have to prove it to everyone that I don't need her, so Mama-chan can be free! And that's when the rampage began.

"Would it mean that I never get to see him again?" You asked Zeno, unaware of the chaos ensuing.

"Once you're freed from our service, you would be free to come and go since you are a close family friend. We wouldn't pay you, of course, but you would also be free to do what and who you want." Zeno chuckled.

"Stop being perverted, old man! I don't know what you're talking about!" You yelled back, turning bright red. But you definitely did know what he meant. You hadn't reconciled with Illumi, but watching him train and work out, sweaty... half-naked... it was almost to much for you. Your teen years had gone by with no outlet for your own personal needs and you honestly felt socially awkward. You had no idea how a normal woman your age would act, or if you could be considered cute or pretty or even sexy. This is going to suck to reintegrate. I'm going to be such a loser for the first few months. But that was okay. You had plans. You were going to take the Hunter Exam when you got out of here. You had told anyone who listened about your plan. Your whole family were masters of nen and you were rapidly approaching a high level of skill. Would you want to be a treasure hunter like your mom? Or go into politics like your grandfather? Or even be an adventurer like your father? You had no idea, but your daydreams were interrupted by a shrill shriek that could only be from Kikyo herself, followed by a yowl from the rarely present Milluki. Ohhh goodness, I know what that means. You ran to the source of the problem, seeing both shriek-emitters gushing blood.

"Follow him! Follow him and get him back!" Kikyo screamed at you. 

Zeno, who had been right behind you, then spoke up. "If he can handle this without your help, consider the contract fulfilled."

"I'll pack and be on my way. Thank you, Zeno." You left, worried and excited, hoping that your son would be going exactly where you wanted to be: the Hunter Exam.

After you left, Zeno turned to a recently arrived Illumi and mumbled "You know what to do Illumi." And with a nod, Illumi also turn to pack to leave. This was his chance.

After everyone had settled down and the remaining five Zoldycks gathered for dinner, it was explained to Kalluto what had happened.

"So... Aniki is going to make sure that YN-san brings Killua home?" He asked quietly.

"Yes, Kalluto. Not that Illumi needed to go. That's just Grandfather meddling in other people's affairs." Silva answered. Zeno chuckled and Milluki and Kikyo fumed in response.

That night, as Illumi followed you as you followed Killua, Kalluto was in bed, having difficultly sleeping.

"I miss you... Mama-chan." He whispered. No one had considered if Kalluto was ready for you to leave him. And truly, he wasn't.