78

Aside from Ceres and Leonard, all the other guards were assigned with specific stations. Leonard and Ceres were tasked to guard Lennard and Leona's rooms, respectively. Gil was, on the other hand, tasked to become a roaming guard in the courtyard. He was actually not present in the meeting regarding the specific tasks but it was Ceres who suggested such thing. She told them that it's much better to have someone who can monitor everything freely and act as a reserve.

Before Ceres and Leonard can even go to their respective stations, Lennard spoke about Leona's situation. He wanted to confront Ceres now because he thinks that it's much better to know everything as early as possible.

"Cerio, I want to ask you something."

Leonard knitted his brows because he really has no idea about anything at all. Leona was quiet but makes quick glances at Ceres.

"What is this about first brother?"

Before Ceres can even speak, Leonard wasn't able to take it anymore and spoke first. Although he pretty much trusts Ceres and Gil but it was still not a 100 percent trust.

Leonard is intelligent and mostly handles political affairs behind the scenes. He was the one who carefully lays out plans the most. He organizes stuff yet, sometimes, over think things. As such, he and Lennard really work together that close. Leonard sometimes thinks ideally and Lennard needs to remind of such things. Also, it is Lennard who faces people because in truth, Leonard is not good at dealing with other people particularly those who thinks they are powerful and entitled.

Leonard feels like what Lennard is about to say may have something to do with their kingdom's affairs. If Lennard plans on something beyond what is necessary, he may have to interfere as soon as possible. Anyway, despite not trusting Ceres and Gil 100 percent, he still doesn't like to offend them. He knows that they are clearly indebted to them.

Hence, when Leonard asked Lennard, he means that they first have to discuss it among themselves before having Ceres join them.

"Second brother... It's about me... And, my condition."

Of course, Leona knows how her brothers think. She doesn't want any misunderstanding and thinks that it is appropriate that she, herself, explains the situation. After which, she could let Lennard and Leonard discuss with Ceres anything they want to discuss.

Moreover, she wants to properly thank Ceres.

Even though she has unreasonable and selfish reasons about her condition, she still knows when to give thanks.

"What do you mean...?"

Leonard looked at Leona with confusion in his eyes. He knows about Leona's condition but what about it? What does it have to do with Ceres? Then, he looked at Ceres with his knitted brows. Now, he was much more confused about the situation.

Lennard was about to speak when Leona told her not to. She wanted to explain it herself and of course, Lennard understood it.

On the other hand, when Ceres heard Leona spoke about her condition, she already what this is about. Actually, she already predicted that sooner or later these royal siblings would confront her. As to what her reason for helping Leona... She would only be the one who knows it.

As such, before Leona could even continue speaking and explaining things, Ceres spoke.

"Are you asking me why I did what I did?"

Because of such question, the royal siblings were thrown in a much more confused state.

So it's really him! Lennard knew that it is really the most probable cause but he still couldn't believe it. Ceres' abilities are way beyond those experts they were even able to invite! And, she is still young!

"Y-yes and no. You see, everyone thought that there was nothing to be done. I, too, lost hope all these years. But... You... You were able to improve my condition. I wanted to thank you properly. Also, I want to know how and why you did. Even if you have evil intentions, I just wanted to thank you."

Right after pouring her heart into such statement, Leona respectfully kowtowed to Ceres. This was her way of saying that such action of Ceres would be in her heart forever.

Lennard couldn't help but look at his sister with pity. He knew that this would be Leona's resolve. Leonard, however, was about to help Leona stand up when Ceres spoke about it. Of course Leonard pretty much knew why their sister would lower herself but he still doesn't the extent of what Ceres did. That is the reason why he thinks that it was improper for Leona to randomly do such thing.

"Stand up."

Leona looked up but didn't stand up immediately. It was Lennard who helped her understood the situation which is why she stood up.

Leona was confused why Ceres was still indifferent.

Is it because, she really doesn't have any plans? Was it intentional or just coincidental?

Her mind was filled with such thoughts.

Ceres looked straight at Leona's eyes. Her eyes looked as if they were blank but it was really filled with such seriousness which feels so deep and meaningful.

"Sometimes, a chance meeting is enough to change one's life."

She turned around but before she started to walk away,

"What do you see yourself as? The princess of Fay kingdom? A part of Reynolds family? Or just simply, Leona?"

"You--!"

Ceres started walking out of the courtyard's receiving area. She planned to stay in her positioned and act her part already.

It was Leonard who wanted to rebut Ceres but Lennard was able to stop him, even though Lennard was as surprised as he is.

Leona, however, stood frozen. A lot of things were already going through her mind but Ceres was the only one willing to wake her up from her dreams.

Is it really wrong to hope that one day, I, too, can use magic just like my parents and brothers?

Why would you give me hope and then, crush that very hope right after everything you've done?

Do you want me to stop believing and be contented on what I have?

Why?

Lennard and Leonard wanted to console their sister but, they didn't know how. Everything they said did not have any effect on her. Leona only stood silently on that same spot.

After some time, she started assuring her brothers that she's alright. Then, she headed towards her room where Ceres was tasked to guard. Leonard wanted to prevent her from going and telling her that he would be exchanging places with Ceres. However, Lennard stopped him once again.

Lennard knew that Leona must have been thinking about what Ceres meant and that it is much better for her to either be alone for now or be with Ceres.

Becauseof that, Leona was only escorted by Leonard up to her room. They saw Ceresstanding outside the door. Leona went inside the room without saying anythingto Ceres. This left Leonard standing in front of Ceres with half closed eyes asif scrutinizing every bit of her soul. -tbc