119

"Congratulations. From now on, you are Blood Snow."

I came out of the snowy forest; with a dagger on one hand and a sword on the other. Blood was all over my body. I couldn't even smell anything aside from blood. And, everything was bloody red.

I collapsed right after I saw the figures of granny and the other women in the clan. I didn't know what happened next; if I was still alive or I also died like my sisters.

When I woke up, I had bandages all over my body. Fortunately, my eyes were alright or else, it would also be bandaged at that moment.

I roam my eyes around the room. It was the same room I stayed at before the trial was held. It was the room that we stayed at. As I recall everything, I looked at my hands. They were clean. But, before, they were full of blood. I didn't know whose blood, mine or my sisters. I stared at my hands day and night after the trial. No one came to see me; not even granny. I didn't think anything was wrong. I couldn't utter any strength and couldn't get out of bed. No matter what I do, I couldn't utter any word and no one would come to my aid. It almost drove me crazy. Until one day, I gave up. I can't remember when or how but there just came a day where, I gave everything up. I couldn't erase the past moreso change it. I felt like I just accepted everything and stared blankly ahead. If I die at that moment, would my sisters forgive me? Would we still be sisters? Would I still have the right to call them 'sisters'?

"Blood Snow."

Someone spoke those words. I didn't know what it meant before, I couldn't care less. It was not my name anyway. But, I turned my head towards the voice.

I remember that they always say they could never forget that day. When I turned my head towards that voice, my eyes were of bloody red; plain bloody red. No emotions can be seen from my eyes and the depth of those eyes cannot be measured. Just then, they saw me crying but the tears were also of bloody red. It was something that surprised them and they didn't know what to do.

I wasn't myself back then. I didn't know. Perhaps, I did lose myself back then; lost everything and accepted my fate. Perhaps, it was my whole heart crying for an explanation, for justice, for a reason.

After that day, I calmed down. My eyes returned to normal. The trial really did end and the ritual commenced. I was told to forget about my name, my sisters, and just remember that I am Blood Snow. From that day on, I am Blood Snow.

"...These are now your responsibility. Everyone in this clan... Their lives... Are now in your hands."

"Yes, I understand."

Blood Snow is what they call the head of the clan. But, the truth is that, it is the person responsible for the safety of everyone in the clan; nothing more, nothing less.

People didn't know that Blood Snow kills for the Haletin clan to survive. Blood Snow kills to protect everyone in the clan. She kills because she has to and not because she wants to. The more she kills, the stronger the barrier becomes... Because the barrier is connected to Blood Snow.

She and the barrier is one.

Every Blood Snow that emerged in every generation of Haletin clan becomes the barrier itself through some magical ritual. And, to make the barrier stronger, Blood Snow must kill and absorbed the blood essence of those she killed. The more she absorbs, the concentrated her blood essence becomes and the stronger her blood magic becomes. This blood magic is used as the foundation of the magic array where Haletin clan is located. Only through her blood magic can the array be kept and only through her blood essence can the array work. As she uses her blood magic, she also shortens her life span. Thus, she needs to pass the ability to another child who would then become the new Blood Snow. The body and blood essence of the previous Blood Snow would also be used to make the barrier stronger. This means that nothing is left in this world for a Blood Snow even if she passed away. Only memories of killing and dying can be remembered. This has been going from generations to generations in Haletin clan.

"Granny, what if we ju---"

"Are you getting tired of killing?"

"No. I just thought that maybe we---"

"Our ancestors have already tried. We also have tried before. We cannot move out. Our bodies, through time, have been used to this place and living outside would only make us weak. We won't live past a month outside. You know that. There is something within these barriers that wouldn't let us leave. That is why you must do your job as Blood Snow and protect your clan. Understood?"

"Yes, granny."

I saw children and women being captured and trained in these snowy regions. We are all not blood related but because of the circumstances, we must become united... Until the day that another Blood Snow must be chosen.

I thought that I can fulfill the responsibility of a Blood Snow until the day that this world would get me.

I had prepared myself for that day.

I always have but, I was wrong.

Because as much as I've prepared, some things will still be out of your hand.

"Hey! Aren't you that Blood Snow?"