Chapter 112 -- Papers

Two days after Christmas Scott was once again parking and walking up the nondescript stairs to Agent Guy's office. The difference was that this time, Midge was by his side. He knocked and opened the door at the gruff 'Come in'. "Hey Agent Guy."

"Hey Scott, Midge. Come on in, have a seat. I have a few things for Midge and he'll need to sign a few things." He opened the manilla folder on his desk and pulled out a Texas birth certificate, handing it to Midge. "You're officially an American, and human to boot. Congrats Mr. Golding. Here is your Social Security card, you'll need to sign the bottom."

Midge could barely hold the pen, although he had practiced his signature for almost an hour last night, preparing for this moment. Finally he put pen to paper and signed his name. "Thank you."

"No problem. Now I need a few pictures. One to submit for your state identification card and one for my files. I'll print you out a temp card today and your fancy one will be mailed from the Department of Motor Vehicles in about a week. Sit in the metal chair for me and smile." He walked over to the camera on the tripod and snapped a few pictures. "Scott I need one of you too." Alright, while that prints and processes, tell me about your Christmas, Midge."

"It was really fun. Scott's family is very nice. His mother is an amazing cook and his sister is very sweet. I have a present for you." he said, pulling a slim package from his bag.

"You didn't need to do that Midge. It says it's for me and the Missus, want me to open it now or wait until I'm home with her?"

"I would like you to open it now and see if you like it." Midge answered.

"I like you kid, I really do. Alright." He slid the paper off the frame to reveal a beautiful drawing of their kitchen. Kimberly was standing with a carafe of coffee in her hand while Guy sat at the table with a cup in his hands, smiling up at her. "This is really good Midge, I uh, I don't know what to say, really. I love it and she is going to go crazy. It'll go up on the wall for sure. Thank you."

"You are welcome. Thank you for helping me."

Guy took a few deep breaths to get his emotions in check.  "So, you were telling me about Christmas – how was the day?"

"It was a joy tornado. Everyone was very happy and they even got me presents which was very sweet of them. I got some gift cards that I can use to buy things... right Scott?"

"Yep. We'll go shopping back home so we don't have to fit it all in the suitcases" he answered.

"Joy tornado is about the best description of Christmas I've ever heard. Glad you had a good one Midge. You guys heading out soon?"

"Yeah, probably tomorrow. I have to head to NYC not long after New Years and I want some time to get things organized in L.A. We sort of left it in chaos with, well, everything that happened" Scott said.

"Hey, I want you to know that I talked to your Steven. I explained a few things to him and you don't need to worry about him. At all. If you see or hear from him, let me know. I'm giving you a copy of the rules but let me go over the main ones really quickly. You're to check in at least twice a year. If Midge goes missing you are to contact me immediately. If you lose any paperwork, same thing. You must keep his Neko identity a secret to the best of your ability. Got it?"

"We can do that" Scott said. "Thanks for all your help, having an ID is literally a game-changer."