Chapter 72 -- Beds

*** Guys, this little story that started in my head as a bit of a mostly forgotten dream now has 150,000 reads.  Thousand.  150.  Um, WHAT?!!?!?!!  *sighs*  I'm a bit emotional.  Thank you all so much.  SOMAJ!! 

*passes out hypermilk and chocolate-chip circletreats*

Scott saw Midge's hesitation so he smiled back and got up and followed along, catching up to them easily.  He still didn't trust himself to speak though so he just followed along and made funny faces at Midge.

        "Have your list Scottie?" Zac asked.

"List?"

        "Yeah, of the top fucking diesel truck engines of 2014.  What you NEED, Scott.  The list of what you NEEEEEED."

"Oh, that would have helped, probably."  He held up one hand and started using his fingers to count on as he rattled items off.  "I don't know, I guess we um, we need a bed and nightstand and whatever for Midge's room.  New dishes, a TV, a stand to put the new TV on.  Bedding for both beds.  I don't know, I think that'll get us through the first week or so until we figure the rest out."

"I did not realize he took so much." Midge said sadly.

"Most of it he just destroyed.  I'm not sure he actually took anything, oh yeah, the PlayStation.  He took that, and a few of my hats.  It was too much of a mess to notice much else."

        "He came to Ikea without a list" Zac mumbled under his breath.  "Who fucking comes to Ikea without a list?"

"Scott does, you said so."  Midge answered, unaware that it wasn't meant to be heard.

"Talking shit about me Zac?  He has really good ears, you know."

        "Sorry.  No I'm not, it's still true........" he joked.

"Shut up old man" Scott joked, standing still.  "Seriously, where do we start?  What are all these damn numbers and tags for?"

"He is not old.  Are you old?" Midge asked.

        "Older than him, just a few years although sometimes it feels like a LOT.  Scott, just write down the numbers of the stuff you want, okay?  We'll figure out what we're taking and what will get delivered when we check out.  Can't get the TV here but just about everything else probably.  Okay lovebirds, let's go.  I have a date later and I am NOT cancelling.  Come on."

They went by the dishes first and picked out a set.  Next came the beds, all done up with pretty bedding.  "Okay Midge, try them out and see what's comfy" Scott said.  "I'm going to grab a comforter and cover for mine and I'll be right back."  He wandered around the display, finally deciding on boring blue and went to the stacks to find it.  "Zac?  Help.  How can it fit a full or a queen?  What?"

        "It's all like that.  Do you never buy anything?"

"But I wanted this one and they only have twins.  Which one is closest?"

        "Do I LOOK like I work here?  I don't know.  Go check."

"You are SO NOT helping."  He grabbed what he hoped would work and headed back to the corner they'd left Midge in but he didn't see him anywhere.  "MIDGE??" he said loudly, frantic.  He spun in a circle, not sure which way to go first.

"Yes Scott?"  Midge sat up from the bed he'd been napping in.  "I like this one."

        Zac was speechless and chuckled to himself.  "You two, I swear."

"God you scared me.  Okay, I'll write it down.  Why don't you pick out some blankets with Zac?  And Captain -- could you please HELP him?"

        "Of course.  He needs help."

"So did I!"

        "NO, you're just lazy.  There's a difference.  Come along Spock."

"You should not be--Oooooooooooooooooh" he gasped.  "This is so pretty!!!!"  Midge held up the striped duvet in purples, blue, pink and white.

        "This one's your size -- here you go."  Zac handed him the cover and walked him over to pick a comforter and sheets.  Once that was done, he carried them back to where Scott was reclining on the bed Midge had chosen.

"Hey, I had to test it out."

        "Come on lazybones, don't you need a TV stand and a nightstand and what, a dresser?"

"Do you want a dresser Midge?"

"I have a huge closet, I do not see how I could possibly need one."

"Okay, maybe some baskets or whatever to organize it?" he asked Zac.

        "Alright" he sighed.  "Come on."  He looked at his watch and then grinned at Midge before sending a nasty face in Scott's direction.

Midge was fighting to keep up but Scott and Zac had very long legs and were heading off quickly.  He glanced to his left and saw it, Disneyland.  It wasn't quite the same, but it was full of toys.  He stood mesmerized a few moments and then hurried over to the huge selection of stuffed toys.  There was the most adorable elephant he had ever seen, along with birds, a stupid dog, and even rabbits and frogs dressed in clothes.  There was a train set and a dollhouse but what called to him the most was the easel.  He grabbed the markers and sat down on a circle of poof and then started drawing; he hadn't been able to in almost a week and had to much he needed to express.

Scott looked back and froze, trying not to panic.  "Midge?"

        "Midge?" Zac called, looking around as well.  "Let's backtrack, maybe he got distracted."

"Okay.  I'm not panicking.  I'm not."

        "Good, wouldn't help.  Wait, is that him?"  Zac could only see his head through the racks of toys but it was definitely a possibility.

Scott walked up as quickly as possible, letting out his breath when he realized it was his Midge.  He almost interrupted but instead stood and watched him draw.  Trees took shape, the forest more blurry already filled in behind him.  Then two people, from the back, no, make that one person and one Neko because it was definitely them.

        "Wow, you're really really good Midge.  Can we buy him the easel and take it with us?  I've got an hour and a half to be ready." Zac asked.

"Oh, I am so sorry Zac.  I did not mean... I am sorry.  I was rude.  I will come with you if you can walk just a bit slower."

        "No problem Midge, but we should head out and finish up the list."

"Can we bring these happy dots Scott?  They seem to go on the wall?"

"You sure love colors.  Yep, hand them to Zac the pack mule.  And I'm sorry Midge, I didn't mean to leave you behind.  Come on."  Scott took Midge's hand in his and they had soon picked out a night stand and lamp for Midge's room.  When they were finally in the car and headed back to Zac's apartment, Scott made one last quick stop for food.  "Have you ever had Chipotle?"

"No, I do not think so."

"Well it is PAST time.  Come on in and be prepared for yummy."