Chapter 63 -- Thanksgiving Pt. 3

Midge wasn't quite sure where he was or why there were two Zac's calling his name. "Yes?"

"You're a little wasted, aren't you?" Zac asked.

"Wasted?" he asked, his eyes half open. "I do not know. Where am I?"

"Jake's. It's Thanksgiving and time to go home" Zac answered, grinning at the small boy who was desperately trying to get his bearings.

"No. Stay here on pillow. Eat pie." His head tilted to the side as he closed his eyes again.

"Nooooope." With one fell swoop he lifted Midge bridal style off the couch. "You're a tiny thing, aren't you?"

His eyes flew open as he felt himself being lifted. He threw one arm out and struggled to get away until he saw Zac. "Is okay?"

"Yep. I'm going to take you home."

Midge wrapped his arms around Zac's neck and rested his head against his chest. When he saw Jake standing in the doorway to the kitchen he waved. "Bye Jake. It a very yummy dinner. Thank you."

Jake chuckled and waved back. "See you soon Midge."

"Wait, I.... do we have to leave Zac?"

"I think we should, yeah."

"I can walk."

"If you're sure. If you fall, Scott won't be happy with me." He placed him down carefully and kept his arms outstretched a moment to make sure he didn't topple over.

"You are very kind. Zac?"

"Yes?" He unlocked the car doors and held it open while Midge climbed inside.

"I want to do something fun."

"Fun?"

"Not FUN but fun."

"What?" Zac was more than a little confused but he just started the car and headed towards his house.

"I mean yes FUN too but I can not so just fun."

"You're making no sense. How many glasses did you have?"

"Of wine? I do not remember. I think Scott would say I had a bunch." He laughed at his own joke before continuing. "A couple. Or 8. Or 4. Or probably something else. Can we drive around? I like the lights."

"I would make a snapchat for Scott but he might not find it funny. You said you drank, but you don't, do you?"

"Now you make no sense. I drank. I drink. I drunk."

"That you are, that you are. Okay, into the house with you." He opened the door and closed it behind him, turning to see Midge stripping out of his clothes. "Um, Midge? You're going to leave some of those on, right?"

"Some of what where?"

"Tell me you have drawers on."

"Underwear?"

"Yes. Nevermind, just go into your room before you strip, okay?"

"I hate underwear but I am wearing some. Scott made me promise. I can take them off?"

"As long as you're in your room I don't care. But no walking around my living room naked, okay?"

"Okay. Is the parade on?" He walked towards the couch, his pants dropping to his ankles and his tail uncurling. "So much better."

"MIDGE!"

He turned and sat down on his favorite recliner, pulling his pant legs off. "Yes Zac?"

"Do you have sweats, or something? Did you bring pajamas?"

"Why? I am not cold. May I have a drink of water?"

"That is a great idea. You need pants because Scott will KILL me if he finds out about this."

Midge jumped up, pulling at his jeans and managing to get them mostly on before running into his room, muttering "I am so sorry. So sorry Sir."

Zac grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and gave Midge a few minutes before knocking on the door. "Midge?"

"I am sorry. I will stay here until it is time to leave. Unless you want me to leave now? I can leave now. Whatever you want."

"Midge, everything's fine. Can you open the door? I have your water." Zac was worried he'd said something to upset him, but figured it would be much easier to deal with if there wasn't a closed door in between them.

"I can not. I should not. I am sorry. I will be fine."

"Open the door Midge."

He unlocked it immediately, then shrunk back and hid under the covers. "My apologies Sir, I did not mean to be rude."

"Don't call me Sir, you make me feel like my father or worse, my uncle." He handed the bottle of water to Midge and sat down in the chair. "I'm sorry you're upset. What did I do?"

"Nothing. Nothing, of course. I am sorry. I do not want you to die. Please?" he begged.

"Die? What am I missing?"

"You said Scott would kill you."

"Oh God I didn't mean really. He wouldn't... it's a figure of speech Midge. People don't go around killing people."

"Yes they do. It happens often, among humans and Nekos. I do not wish to see, or cause, your death." He couldn't stop the tears then, when he thought about what he'd seen and done. He lay down and curled onto his side, hugging himself as well as he could.

"Midge, I'm so sorry. What can I do?"

"Are you sure you will not die?"

"Absolutely. Well, at least not because of Scott killing me. Shit happens, I guess, but he won't be the one to kill me. That I can promise you."

"Will you hold me?"

"If you need me to, sure." He walked over to the bed and lay down carefully, wrapping his arm around Midge's shoulders.

"Thank you for the comfort" he said, his tears finally waning. He lay in bed a few minutes until he heard Zac's very soft snoring, probably indiscernible to most human ears, but there nonetheless. Then, he carefully got him undressed and comfortable to sleep and knowing he was safe with this man Scott trusted, he fell asleep too.