Chapter 5 -- Ihop

Midge followed behind Scott out of the bedroom, dreading this meeting.  He could feel the energy radiating off the girl and it wasn't friendly.  Scott had asked him to do it though and promised it would be okay, so he agreed to say hello.

Scott glanced back to see if Midge was actually coming with him.  Yesterday he had been freaked out by the fact that he walked so quietly but now it somehow seemed fitting.  Yes, Midge was there but he didn't look happy about it.  "Hey, if you really don't want to, it's okay."

"Really?"  His eyes brightened.

Scott wasn't sure what this feeling in his chest was whenever the boy looked happy, but he was willing to piss off Kelly if it meant it might continue.  "Sure.  Go back to my room or wherever you want."  And like a flash, Midge had ducked back into his bedroom and disappeared.  He sighed, then turned the corner.  "Hey Kit Kat."

        "Hi."  She handed him a steaming cup of coffee.  "Wasn't sure what Midge would want...." she said, looking around.  "Where is he?"

"He's nervous.  Can you give him a few days?"

        "What do you  mean 'a few days'?  He's staying?  Like here, with you?  The boy is crazy, you said so yourself."

"No, he's..." and he trailed off, remembering that he was supposed to try to keep Midge's secret and that he could probably hear every word.  "He just needs a friend and a place to crash.  It'll be fine, promise."

        "Maybe he did slip you something.  It's like some kind of 'Don't notice I'm crazy' drug."  She put down her cup and gripped Scott's arms, making sure she had his full attention.  "If this were ME, you would call the police."

"Don't say that, you'll scare him.  No one's calling anyone, okay?  We're going to go get breakfast and talk and then I'll see you at rehearsal this afternoon."

        "And you're going to just leave him here for hours, alone?  Or what, drop him off at the mall?"

"He could probably use a few things."

        "What is WRONG with you?  Seriously, I want to meet him.  Now."  She tapped her foot and put on her 'I'm not leaving' face.

"Soon, okay?  Just not today."  He picked up her jacket, noticing the white hairs on one side where Olaf had jumped up.  "Thanks for worrying Kakepop, but it's fine.  Really.  I'll see you this afternoon."

        "Fine Mr. Stubborn.  But if something happens to you, I will be PISSED.  You hear me?  Don't be stupid."  She turned and opened the front door, then sent off a parting "Bye Midge" as she left.

"Midge?" he called quietly.  He stepped into his shoes and called for him again.

"I am right here" he answered from right behind his shoulder.

Scott jumped, spooked.  "You scared me.  You're so quiet."

"I can try to be louder but I always forget after awhile.  I am sorry."

"It's fine.  No worries." He handed Midge his shoes, realizing they looked way too big.  "Are these yours?"

"I.... I borrowed them.  It was cold and I did not have any."

"I guess we'll need to get you some that fit.  You don't have anything, do you?  Those clothes aren't yours either, although they fit a lot better than mine do."

"I do not need much, I do not usually wear clothes."

"You... oh, cat thing, right?  Um, well you can't walk around naked.  I draw a line, and people WILL call the cops then."

"Oh, I never go out.  I mean, I have been out a lot the past month but when I am owned I almost never go.  My last master was very kind though and he took me to a movie theatre once, and we went places sometimes.  The movie was great" he said, a huge smile spreading across his face at the memory.

"I really want to know all about whatever the hell you're talking about, but let's do food first, okay?  I'm STARVED and I don't do well when I'm hungry."

Midge slipped into the bathroom and reappeared a moment later.  "I think I am ready.  But, Scott, I am not sure what to do."

"About what?"

"I have never... I mean what if people see me?  It is daytime..... "  He desperately wanted to go, he was curious beyond measure, but he was also wary.

"You look fine and I'll help you, okay?"

He took a deep breath, then looked up.  When Scott smiled and went out the door, he followed a step behind.  He balked when Scott wanted him to sit in the front passenger seat but did as he was told, and even managed to get the seatbelt on without too much fussing.  Once the car was in motion, he stared out the window taking in the sights.  The drive was much shorter than he would have liked, he would have happily driven around the city all day.

"I HOP, breakfast place of champions" Scott said, getting out of the car.  He went over and opened Midge's door, then took his small hand in his.  "Just stay with me, it'll  be fine."  He looked him over again, making sure his ears weren't visible, then led him in and got them a table.

        "What can I get you boys?" the waitress asked, pencil poised.

Scott quickly rattled off his order and looked at Midge, who was wide-eyed and petrified behind his menu.  "Want the same as me?"  At the quick nod he asked her to double it, then remembered to add in a large glass of milk.

"Thank you" Midge answered softly after she had gone.

"No problem, didn't mean to put you on the spot.  I didn't think.  Don't worry though, everything's fine."  When the waitress returned with the coffees and milk, he watched as Midge drank the glass down quickly, his eyes lighting up.  "Want another one?"

"Can I?  Really?"

"Sure, why not?"  He signalled the waitress for a refill and then put the cream and sugar in his coffee.  By the time he was finished, she had delivered the second glass.

Midge looked at the small bowl of creamers, then at his glass.  Quickly he snuck his hand out, grabbing the entire bowl and pulling it into his lap.

Scott watched, amused, as Midge tried to secretly dump creamer after creamer into his milk.  He was such a mix of, well, man and cat but the end result was something he could only describe as childish.  When their plates were delivered he watched Midge's face register the shock of the amount of food in front of them.  "You don't have to eat it all, just what you want."

He reached a hand out and grabbed a sausage, sticking the whole thing in his mouth at once.  It wasn't easy to eat in one piece, but his expert tongue soon manuevered it around.

"Use your fork and knife, Midge.  Okay?"

His head shot up as he swallowed the last bit.  "Yes Sir, I am sorry."  He ate his other sausage, then tried to cut his bacon with his knife.

"No, that you can eat with your hands." Scott offered.

Midge just sighed and picked it up.  "So confusing."  He bit into it, savoring the first bite, then practically inhaled the remaining pieces.  Once all the meat on his plate was gone, he looked over at Scott's plate to see what he was eating, and how.

Scott had never had so much fun at breakfast.  He was fascinated with Midge and could watch him all day.  Even watching him pour syrup was fun, he'd obviously never seen the type of bottle they used here.  He figured it out quickly though, and the grin on his face when the first dribble of syrup hit his french toast was adorable.  Once they were both stuffed, he paid the bill and led them towards the car.

Midge knew this was his chance.  He was in the parking lot and there were lots of buildings around.  It was daytime though, and he had been taught from a very young age that it was the most dangerous time for him to be out.  He knew he shouldn't go home with Scott, to have their 'talk' but he seemed so nice.  Maybe he could get a nap in, and dinner and then sneak out later tonight.