Chapter 75 -- Momentum

It took two days but the apartment was finally at least mostly in order. There were still a few corners to go through but it was getting there. Scott returned from rehearsal to find Lisa and Midge still pouring over the computer and printer where he'd left them two hours before. "How goes it?"

"The pictures are all online and Lisa showed me how to print labels and mail them. I just need to add new drawings as I make them." Midge answered, beaming.

"Can I see?" he asked, walking up to peer over their shoulders. "Wow, it's perfect Lisa. I am obsessed!"

"Thanks. I didn't do much though, it's his art that's amazing. Etsy's fairly easy once you get the basics set up" she answered. "So, call me if you need anything Midge but I think you're set. I need to get home in time to feed the children. They get restless otherwise."

Scott laughed. "Food is literally the most important thing ever. Thanks again Lisa, we owe you one." He walked her to the door and came back over to sit next to Midge. "Are you sure you really want to sell the originals and not just copies?"

"Yes, it is fine. I like to draw new things and I think it is more personal to have the original, do you-don't you think? I want people to like them."

"Can't argue with that, I'm damn glad I have the original you" he answered, pulling him into a hug. "So, I heard someone mention dinner?"

"Lisa did, yes. Are you hungry?" Midge asked.

"Almost always. For everything. You, dinner, you. Mmhmm, I am very, very hungry. Want to go out?" Scott asked, looking him up and down and smirking. "Or we could order in?"

"You are being suggestive. It does not matter to me. Out then back or staying in is almost the same. Both ways are nice."

"Actually, we should go out. I have a business proposition for you and it seems weird to offer it naked. Besides, your ears are already down so we may as well. Give me 15 and we'll go, alright?"

***** ***** ***** *****

Midge sat in the booth sipping his iced tea and listening carefully. Scott was acting so calm about it but it seemed like a very big deal. "Could you please say it again? It was too much to take in the first time."

"Sure. Okay, maybe background would help. So, we were all talking at rehearsal today about a really great song that just isn't working for us. Avi wrote it and it's amazing, but we can't quite pull it together. Something's missing. Kevin muttered under his breath that it was a shame you weren't there, because it would sound much better and it just clicked for all of us. He was absolutely right."

"So" Scott continued, "stick with me here. We want you to consider being a guest artist and collab on the song with us. It would go on the album but you wouldn't have to join the group or perform with us, because we wouldn't do it live. It would be a great way to get your feet wet. We could get in the studio, see if your voice works as well as we think it would. What do you think? And we'd pay you, of course."

"I do not like to be wet" he answered. "But I think I understand now." He was interrupted as the waitress sat their plates in front of them. "I would like to think about it tonight, is that okay or do you need an answer right away?"

"Tomorrow is fine. You can come to rehearsal with me and listen to it, if you want, before you make up your mind. I'll be gone this weekend Midge, we're leaving Friday morning and I won't be home until Sunday night. I wish you could come, I really do. I'll talk to Zac and have him check in on you. You can call him if you need anything -- I'll put his number in your phone tonight. I'm sorry I have to go but it pays the bills."

"And you love it."

"But I love you too. I hate to leave one thing I love to do another, but I like having an apartment. And food."

"I like those things too. I would hate to sleep in the tree very much."

"A tree?"

"I have not thought of her, I should take her some food and make sure she is okay."

"Who? I am SO lost."

"When I... when I ran away I went to the park and a kind girl there told me I could sleep in her tree if you would not let me back. She was hungry and I gave her a granola bar. I should visit and bring her some more food. I should have thought before we moved, it is further now. I am so forgetful."

"The old place isn't that far, but I don't want you going alone, alright? I'll take you sometime if you want."

"Thank you. I think I would like to help her."