Chapter 12 -- Past

Midge washed and dried the dishes and pan and walked over towards the couch. "Can I get you anything SiSsscott? I could bring your pillow, or help you back to bed."

"I'm feeling a lot better Midge. I'm not great but it's just a cold. Come sit with me. I don't want to go to bed yet, I don't think I could sleep. Let's talk and then watch a cartoon, okay?"

"Whatever you like." He perched on the arm of the couch, managing to make it look normal. His legs were bent up with his knees under his chin, his arms wrapped around his legs. His tail draped over the edge, slightly swinging back and forth. His head rested on his knees, facing Scott, one ear angled towards the front door.

If Scott had tried that there was no doubt in his mind that he'd be on the floor in seconds. "Please don't fall.  That doesn't look safe or comfortable."

"I am...." he looked down, trying to understand Scott's displeasure. "Oh, I can move to the chair." Trent had also been nervous when he perched.

"No, close is fine." Scott pulled up his legs and made room at the end of the couch. "Here."

"But you should relax. I am fine, truly."

"Okay, if you say so. I don't know what you can or can't do, or what you like so I have to trust you to tell me. Can you do that? Will you be honest and tell me if you're not happy and comfortable? If you don't like something?"

"That is not my place Scott."

"Yes, yes it is. It sure as hell isn't mine, okay?" He could barely think through this fog of a headache but the guessing what was really going on in that boy's mind was driving him crazy and he knew he probably wasn't doing a very good job of it. "Okay, let's try this. You're telling me what I want to hear in order to please me and not make me angry, right?"

"Yeee....Yes Sir." he said, his voice questioning.

"Well what I want to hear and what would make me happy is the truth. I know that may be different than what you're used to, but it's what I prefer. Can you do it now? It's not an... an order or whatever the heck, oh, a rule or anything, it's just a request, as a friend. Alright?"

"You want the truth even if it... if it makes things harder?"

"Yes, yes. Absolutely Midge."

"I will do my best to remember that."

"I want to talk about your, God I hate the word, masters, or owners, whatever."

"You said Trent." His ears flattened down a bit, his tail flicking onto the back of the couch and beating out a steady, unhappy rhythm.  He could handle speaking of Trent but the others were much harder.

"Yes, only because I didn't think you'd talk to me about the other ones. Tell me everything you can. I want to know about the last, what, six years of your life."

"May I ask why you want to know? No one has ever asked before."

"Because I want to help you, understand you a little, make you happy. Because I'm your friend."

"Friend?" he asked, rolling the word around on his tongue. "I have not had a friend in a long time." His ears flicked again to the door, then back. "I do not think a human and a neko can be friends. Humans are masters and we are made to serve. It is our job and what we are best at."

"How are you made to serve? Tell me why you think that."

"We are.... resilient. Quick, helpful, kind. We are happier than humans who need things and everything to always be perfect. Humans need control, and comfort, and stuff. All we need is company, shelter, and food. We live in the moment, we are made for joy."