Chapter 19 -- Bacon

No one and nothing could have pried him away from his purring boy.  He listened to the gentle rumble, drowning in the calm.  It would soften and slow, and Scott would tell himself to memorize the sound so he'd never forget it or this feeling that seemed to go hand in hand with the music.  Soon though, it would start back up, stronger again, lulling him into believing it would go on forever.  When he realized it had stopped for good he wasn't even sure how long it had been since he'd heard it, so gently had it faded.

Then he focused on other sounds and the way Midge's breaths were coming in short little puffs against his chest and realized that he was asleep.  He did his best to not move, knowing it might wake him but soon his stomach did the deed for him.

"Mmorning." Midge sucked in his breath and sat up a bit, propping up on his arm and resting his head in his hand.

Scott just smiled and chewed a bit on his lip until his stomach growled again and they both laughed.

"You are hungry, we should go to breakfast, yes?"

"Yes" he nodded.  "That sounds great."  He stared but he couldn't help it, Midge was adorable.

"Do you, oh no, I am so sorry!"  His face fell and he was suddenly all arms and legs as he tried to manuever around to pull off Scott's pants.  "I am so sorry."

"No, no, Midge, it's fine.  Stop, please.  Honey, I wasn't smiling at you because I wanted something.  I was smiling because you're cute, and I'm happy."

"But you, that is not fair.  It was amazing and.... SO amazing and I should---"

"You should enjoy it and relax.  Go get dressed.   For real this time, I mean it" he said, grinning.  "Go on."  Once Midge sprung out of bed he got himself dressed and they met in the bathroom, brushing their teeth at the same time like an old married couple.  "Alright, it's breakfast time.  Let's go."

***  ***  ***  ***  ***

"I think this is my favorite place in the whole world" Midge said, looking down at his plate which held 3 orders of bacon and a scrambled egg.  He took a drink from his liberally creamered milk and started arranging the bacon into piles.

"Okay, I give up.  What are the different piles?" Scott popped a huge piece of waffle in his mouth and waited.

"Oh, these are straight, then there are folded over ones, twisted ones, and these have the most fat."

"Of course.  You know, some people just eat their bacon.  I never realized how boring that was until now."

"Are you mocking me?" Midge asked.

"A little bit, but it's all in fun.  I'm just teasing."

"Okay.  Would you like a piece of my bacon?"

"Mmmhmm, a twisted one please."

He handed it over, then quietly asked "How do you spell bacon?"

"B-A-C-O-N.  Why?"

"I am working on C and K and they make the same sounds, it is hard.  And C and H can go together at the beginning or end, but CK only goes on the end."

He tilted his head, thinking.  "You're right.  It's hard and makes no sense, but you'll learn it.  We can put some apps on your phone later so you can practice while I'm gone tomorrow."

"Thank you.  I was wondering if you have a library card."

"I... I don't, no, but we can buy you whatever you want.  We should get you some easy books, and maybe some workbooks or something.  We'll stop by the bookstore after we get your phone.  I should have thought of that."

"I do not want you to spend so much money, I feel guilty."

"It's worth it, Midge, really.  Don't worry.  Besides, once you and your angellic voice join the group, we'll be famous."

"I can not do that Scott, it is impossible."

"Nothing is impossible Midge, nothing.  We'll take one day at a time, okay?"

He knew better than to correct his master, although he was already getting away with so much that sometimes he forgot how things were.  He still couldn't believe what had happened this morning, that Scott had... maybe it was different, maybe Scott was his friend.  Things were so mixed up and he didn't know how to have this kind of relationship with anyone, and certainly not a human.  He was too happy to worry though so instead he nibbled on bacon.

*** *** *** *** ***

The day flew by.  By the time they had gone home to shower and then gone out to get him a phone and bought three books at the bookstore, it was nap time.  They'd found a puzzle he had fallen in love with and grabbed a checkerboard as well.  Midge curled up on the bed with Marley while his phone charged and watched Scott pull his suitcase out from the closet.  "Are you sure I can not be of help?"

"No, it's fine.  It's really easier to do it myself, honestly.  Are you sure you don't want to lay on the couch where it's quieter?"

"I prefer to be with you, if you do not mind."

"I don't.  A couple of days ago I didn't even know you and now I can't imagine you anywhere but with me.  I'm not sure what that means, but there it is."  He slowly packed, mentally running down his list.  He didn't need too much for a one-night show but he always packed a little extra just in case.  "Don't answer the door while I'm gone, okay?  Even if you're wearing clothes."

"I know.  I promise no one will know I am here. I will be good."

"And you'll call me if you need anything?"

"Yes."

"I don't want to leave Midge, I don't.  I love to perform, I just wish you could come with me.  Maybe next time you can come along, when we have more time to prepare and arrange things."

"I understand."

"Okay, I'll finish the rest in the morning.  Now, time for a nap and then I'll teach you how to play checkers."

"Thank you so much, I have always wanted to play!"

He tucked Midge in and turned off the light.  "I'll be right outside if you need anything.  Sleep well."