Chapter 99 -- Eval Pt. 3

December 11, 2012
Midge Hoying
Altercation summary brief

Inmate refused breakfast and lunch. Doctor Kline was consulted and recommended an IV due to extended blood draw yesterday evening during medical exam.

IV was inserted at 1:18 pm with consent. Shortly after it was taped he became agitated and asked what it was for and why it wasn't coming out, although he had been fully briefed prior to insertion.

Inmate removed IV himself and got down from the examination table. Guards were called by the on-duty nurse but inmate was calm and nonthreatening. However, when informed that the IV would be replaced he refused to lay on the table. Inmate was restrained with Posey cuffs to ankles and wrists. Tail was secured using an ace bandage to his leg.

IV was reinserted at 1:52 pm.

Dr. Kline advises he receive two saline bags before being released. Estimated release time of 4:32 pm. Total time in restraints estimated at approximately two and a half hours. Dr. Kline has filed a sedative request.

Inmate was asked several times if he was comfortable but refused to answer. Psychiatric admin have been notified and will add an addendum below.

Filed 12/11/12
Captain Brian Rogers
**********************************************************

December 11, 2012
Midge Hoying
Psychiatric addendum

Part 3 of patient intake psychiatric evaluation has been postponed indefinitely due to patient unresponsiveness.

Midge was quiet but in obvious emotional distress when I entered at 2:27 pm. He asked to be released and promised that he would 'be good'. Patient is fearful for his safety. When informed that he would be released when he had finished his treatment he became silent and refused to ask or answer any further questions.

Given his interview this morning detailing abuse and time spent in a 'cage' I can not condone the use of restraints at this time. Whether real or invented, it is most certainly true enough to him to cause him additional suffering. If he must be restrained I suggest that he be sedated in order to lessen the trauma of this event.

I can not be certain that he fully understands the ramifications of not eating. I request he be brought to my office with his dinner so that we can attempt to make him comfortable enough to eat of his own free will and prevent further incidents.

Filed 12/12/12
Dr. Lena Smith