Chapter 103 -- Alive

Marley stood staring at the telephone pole, the flyer making it impossible for her to turn away.  She reached one hand out, running her dainty fingers across his face and smoothing the hair out of his eyes that always drove him crazy.  Those eyes, it must be him. Carefully she removed the flyer, easing it away from the staples which held in in place.  She folded it up and put it into her jacket pocket.

Her walk back home gave her time to let the full realization hit her.  He wasn't dead.  When his master, Mark had returned the next year looking for a new boy she had begged him for information.  She remembered his snarl and it sent shivers down her back even now.  He'd told her Midge had been sent to the fighting rings, certain death for a boy of his size and disposition. 

Later that night she had told her mother, begging her to do something to help him but it had been useless.  Her stepfather had said no, it was done, and that had been the end of her hope.  Marley had accepted that he was dead after a year had passed with still no word.  Then she, too, had been sold, the last of Mitt's children to leave home.  She had always given thanks that she had been bought by such a wonderful couple and had such a good life.

The wind shifted and she adjusted her wig out of habit, turning towards home to make her plate and think of some way to try to find Midge.  She could not contact his master, could she?  What if he was like Mark?  As she passed the park she remembered the smell from last week and turned in, looking for the McDonald's girl.  She found the girl with the long hair a moment later, disappointed that the familiar scent wasn't present this time.  "Excuse me?"

        "Yeah?" Ashley asked.  "Wait, didn't I see you last week?"

"Yes, yes, you told me I looked like someone.  Is this him?"  She took out the flyer and pressed it open, showing it to the dirty girl.

        "Yeah, parade boy.  I know him.  Can't blame him for running away from that freaky shit."

"You know him?  You know Midge?"

        "Yeah, sort of.  He brought me food once, he's a nice kid."

"He is my brother.  I am trying to find him.  Can you please tell him Marley is here, I live right there" she said, pointing to a high-rise.

        "Doubt I'll see him but yeah, if he brings me dinner I'll pass along your message."  Crazy as hell.  Every single fucking one of them.