Chapter 65 -- Rearranging

Zac closed the door and turned just in time to see Midge duck into the guest room.  He considered following him but decided that he really needed a cup of coffee first.  He made one for Midge too and grabbed the bottle of ibuprofen before knocking on the door frame.  "Can I come in?"

"Of course.  It is your house."

        "But it's your room, at least for a few hours."  He handed Midge a cup and the bottle and then sat down in the desk chair.  "Are you okay?"

"My head hurts but I am fine."

        "I meant with what butthead said."

"Please do not call him that, it is not nice" he pleaded.

        "Alright, but I think he deserves it.  I'm not real happy with him right now.  You know he didn't mean any of that, right? He's having a rough morning apparently."

"I am sorry about the police and the apartment but I am fine."

        "Fine?" Zac questioned.  "He owes you an apology but he'll do it once he's thinking straight.  He's crazy about you."

"It was my fault. He owes me nothing.  I did things I should not have done and I am grateful he did not beat me for it.  I am sorry, I should not have said anything."

        "Oh..... right.  Other guy I assume?" Zachary blew out a huge breath before continuing.  "Midge, I don't know how to say this but that's really not who you should be comparing him to.  He was mean, even if it wasn't as bad as what Steven would have done."

"He was not mean, he only asked me to choose.  He said nothing that was not true.  He thought I pleasured you and he did not fight with you, or make me do so.  He said he wants me to come back and I believe him.  I am sorry I made him sad but I will do better if he will give me the chance.  I do not know why he thinks I must make a choice though, I am his.  Perhaps he forgot."

        "Wow.  I really, really need a Neko.  So, you're fine?  I mean, I'm glad as hell I just... okay.  Uh.... how about we go get something to eat?"

"I should not leave with you.  I will wait for Scott, if that is okay.  Oh NO!  My phone!"  He jumped up and grabbed his pants, then plugged in his phone.  "The battery is dead.  He reminded me to plug it in and I forgot.  You look sad, would you like to hold Marley?"  He held the stuffed kitten out but Zac just shook his head 'no' so he placed her back on his pillow.

        "Okay, I'll run out and get us some grub and come back.  You can get dressed and pack or just try to rest that headache.  I won't be gone long, alright?  No, wait, I can't leave you alone.  Come with me, please?  It's two blocks, and I'll bring my phone."

"If you are sure."

        "He wouldn't want you here alone and he's not going to be finished with the police for at least an hour or so.  Want me text him and let him know?"

"No, I do not want to bother him if he is busy with the police.  I will be ready in a moment, I must hide myself."

        "And I need pants.  Okay, see you in the living room in 10."

***  ***  ***  ***

        They were almost back to the apartment when Zachary's phone went off and he picked it up.  "Yes Ma'am?"

        "Hi Zac, is Midge still with you?" Kelly asked.

        "He is.  We have muffins and are heading back to the apartment."

        "Perfect.  Scott told me I could pick him up and take him shopping.  Is that alright with you?  Can you ask him?"

        "Sure, hold on.  Midge, do you want to go shopping with Kelly?  Scott says it's fine."

"Yes, if Scott wants me to I would like to see Kelly.  But is the animal coming?"

        "He wants to know if Olaf will be there." Zac repeated, grinning at the thought of Olaf running around a store.

        "Nope, I'll pick him up in 20, okay?  Byeeeeeeeeeeee."

        "Okay Midge, you've got 20 minutes to pack and eat and then she'll pick you up, sans dog.  I don't know why she's going shopping on black Friday though, there is NOTHING I want that badly."

"I have never been, it might be fun" he offered, ever the optimist.  He followed Zac into the apartment and went into the room to pack his bag.

Zachary sat on the couch and attacked his muffin, but was interrupted by his phone yet again.  "Hey Scott."

"Keep him there.  Lock the door and don't let anyone in, alright?  Don't go anywhere."

        "What are you talking about?  Kelly's coming over to take him shopping.  She said you were fine with it."

"No.  I'll call her.  Don't let him out of your sight.  Steven broke into the apartment.  I don't know how he figured out where we live and I don't know if he knows where your place is.  Just keep Midge there until I'm finished here, okay?  Please?"

        "Alright, alright.  Relax.  He's fine and I'll make sure he stays that way."

"Tell him I'm sorry?  He won't answer his phone."

        "It was dead, he's got it plugged in now.  He left it charging when we went to Starbucks---"

"You're at Starbucks?" Scott interrupted.

        "No, we just got back to the apartment a few minutes ago and everything's fine.  Don't worry about us."

"Okay.  I'll call you as soon as I can.  And Zac?"

        "Yeah?"

"I'm sorry for being an ass.  Nothing happened, right?"

        "Nothing happened."