Chapter 22 -- Art

Scott was nervous and excited and more than ready to be home.  Midge had been cryptic during their phone call this morning, asking for forgiveness just in case Scott didn't like something.   Midge repeated over and over that he had tried, and he hoped Scott liked it and if not, to please forgive him because he had done it for him, hoping that he'd like it.  What was 'IT'?   He had no clue.  Midge refused to tell him, well, begged to not have to and so he'd dropped it.

After a very early, long morning he lugged his suitcase up the stairs and unlocked the door.  Midge was there waiting for him, and took his suitcase, wheeling it into his bedroom before coming back to stand in the hallway, watching him.  "I don't even get a hug?"  Almost immediately he had an ear tickling his chin, Midge's arms wrapped around his back and a tail wrapped around his thigh.  "There we go, much better. So..." he asked, forcing some space between them "Do you want to show me something?"

Midge nodded while biting his lower lip, then turned and walked to the wall across from the television, leading towards the hall.

Scott looked above Midge's head and gasped, shocked.  On his formerly boring, blank wall were now eight of the most amazing charcoal  and pastel drawings he had ever seen.  They were arranged in a rectangle, four on top and four below.  "Midge......... my GOD these are amazing."

He let out a deep breath, his shoulders sagging with relief.  "I wanted to show you, to say thank you.  They come down of course I just wanted... I thought they looked pretty."

"They're gorgeous."  He stepped closer, putting his arm around Midge's shoulders and angling him with him so they both faced the wall.

The first in the series was an orange being held in a small hand.  The fact that he could tell it was a freaking orange when it was done in charcoal was boggling his mind, but there was no doubt.  This was the night they met, when Midge had offered up the fruit to Scott's outstretched hand.  Next was Scott's couch, a tiny figure curled up on it in blankets.  Then a startling realistic portrait of his new shoes, lined up perfectly on the mat where they were currently sitting.  Finally a plate holding several pieces of bacon, a fork and knife held in small hands ready to cut it.

The next row began with a figure in green plaid pajamas, his features vague but the patterning on the clothes done in amazing texture with his new pastels.  Second was Marley, but it wasn't the stuffed Marley nor what Scott imagined she looked like in person, rather a perfect mixture of the two.  Light touches of pastels made her eyes sparkle and her grin come alive.  Next a cartoon figure, the hero from the movie they had gone to see and finally him, seen through a window standing next to his car, waving.

"I don't know what to say.  You're SO good!  How did you do all these?  I'm... wow, I'm speechless Midge, really."

"It is the story of us, of some of the times you made me happy, but I could not remember where to put the bacon because we had it two days.  I think it is backwards.  I can fix it."

"It's awesome, don't worry about it.  This may be the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me.  I can't get over how good you are.  I mean, these are REALLY good.  You could sell them.  Not these, obviously, but other ones.  All you need is a website and you'd be set."  The thought percolated in his head, it was a way for Midge to support himself without having to interact with people very much.  A way to give him independence.

"I do not know how or... but I will do whatever you like.  It would be good to repay you for all the things you have bought."

"No, no, I just thought it would be money for YOU, so you could be safe."

"Freedom?"

"Yes, freedom, or to help your family, or just to save if you ever need it.  We'll figure it out.  Is it time for your cat nap yet?  I'm tired."

"I would love to nap with you."  He started stripping on the way to the bedroom, slipping under the covers with a contented sigh.  When Scott slid in next to him he waited for his arm to move up and then snuggled against his side and placed kisses on his chest and against his heart.  "It is good to hear your beat again, I missed it."

"And I missed you, little one.  Now get some sleep and keep your hands to yourself; there's time for fun later."

"Funnnnn" he answered, his voice seductive.  "I like fun."

"And I like you."

"I have so many hobbies now.  Drawing, playing my reading game, pleasuring you.   I have never had so much fun before."

"Oh Midgey, what am I going to do with you?"

"Whatever you like."

"Shhhh!  Stop that" he growled.  "Goodnight Midge."