Chapter 80 -- Alarm

Scott slumped onto the counter in the dressing room and opened his bottle of water, downing half of it in one long go.

"That was amazing guys" Kevin said, pulling out a chair.

"I can not WAIT to get back to the hotel, I want to put on my slippers and order room service" Kelly declared, bending down to unstrap her heels.

"I could literally eat anything and everything right now." Scott heard the beep from his phone and rolled his eyes towards Avi, who was sitting next to it. "Give you a million dollars to throw that over here."

"Better than the kiss you offered me last time. Deal." He tossed it to Scott and then returned to packing things into his bag.

"No, no, no" he muttered under his breath, listening to his voice mails from the security company. He immediately dialed Midge's phone, forcing himself to breathe as it rang and then went to voice mail.

"What is it Scottland?" Kelly asked, noticing how pale he was.

"The fire alarm went off at the apartment and didn't get turned off for like half an hour. Now I can't get ahold of Midge." He chewed on his lip, then put his fingers against his lips and blew on them. "I'll try him again."

Kelly watched and knew without asking that he hadn't answered. "Maybe he called Zac?"

"YES!" Scott hopped down and called Zac, pacing the floor while we waited.

"Hey" Zac answered, the noise behind him making him hard to hear.

"Did Midge call you? Have you checked on him?"

"Came here right after dinner, haven't heard from him. Why?"

"I need you to go over there. Now. Please?" Scott asked.

"I'm in the middle of a date. It's going to have to wait."

"NO! They sent the fire department. Zac, Midge and the fire department can NOT be a good mix. What if they arrested him or something, or took him? He's not answering his phone. I'm in fucking Chicago, I can't get there."

"Jesus, calm down. Fine, I'll go over but I'm bringing Lee with me."

"I don't care if you take Jesus, just go, please. Wait, no, what if his ears are out? You have to go alone."

"The amount you owe me is now about the size of the national debt and you want me to what, make Lee wait in the car or something while I go check on my ex's boyfriend? He's going to think I'm crazy."

"You ARE. He may as well find out now. Seriously Zac, I NEED you to... Please?" he asked, his voice cracking.

"Fine. I'll call you when I get there. I swear..."

It took Scott a moment to realize he'd hung up mid-sentence but once he did he tried Midge one more time.

"Van is waiting for us Scott, let's go." Avi said.

"I have to get---"

"I got your bag hon, you're all good" Kelly said, handing it him. "Come on"

*** *** *** ***

"I'm really sorry about this Lee, it'll only take a minute."

"No worries, I'm flexible."

Zac looked over and grinned. "Is that so?"

"You have NO idea but I'm more than happy to show you later."

"That sounds like a really, really good plan. Are you sure you don't mind waiting? I'll be as quick as possible."

"I'm fine, go ahead."

Zac flew up the stairs two at a time and knocked on their apartment door. He gave Midge about two seconds to answer before he knocked one more time, loudly. "Midge, it's me, I'm coming in." He put the extra key Scott had given him in the lock and walked in just as Midge walked out of Scott's room.

"What are you doing here? Is something wrong? Is Scott hurt?"

"No, no, he's fine. He's been trying to call you."

"Oh, my phone is in my bed and it is on vibrate. I am so sorry, I did not hear it."

"What did you burn?" he asked, his nose twitching.

"Yum...bacon. I burned the bacon by accident."

"But you're okay?"

"I am fine."

"Okay, then I am gone. Call Scott right now, okay?"

"Oh, okay, I will. You do not want to stay and visit?"

"I can't, I'm sorry. I'm on a date. I'll call you tomorrow though and I'll stop in, depending on when Lee leaves."

"Leeleaves?" Midge asked, confused.

"Lee, his name is Lee. When he leaves. Nevermind, it doesn't matter. Call Scott, alright?"

"Is he cute?"

"He's... yeah, he's very cute. Hands off, you got it?" Zac smiled and then closed the door behind him "Don't forget to set the alarm" he said through the door just as a woman came out of the apartment across from them. "I meant him, but uh, you should set yours too Miss. Can't be too careful." He shook his head and tried to wipe the blush from his cheeks as he headed back to Lee.

"I am sorry" Midge said as soon as Scott picked up the phone.

"Are you okay?"

"I am fine. I did not mean to cause trouble, I am sorry."

"Did the fire department come over?"

"Yes. He yelled at me for not knowing how to turn the alarm off. I was scared when he asked if I lived here, I did not want to have to leave."

"I was so fucking worried when I heard the messages. God, in my head the whole city was burning and you were in jail. I was a mess."

"I did not know they would call you. It did not interrupt your show?"

"No, no, I didn't have my phone with me. It's late there, are you heading to bed?"

"Yes, I was almost asleep when Zac came. Is it okay if I sleep in your bed?"

"Absolutely."

"Will Kelly sleep in your bed?" he asked, jealous.

"No, no Midge. We have our own beds. You are the only one I want in my bed, okay?"

"That is nice."

"Get some sleep and please don't burn the place down before I get home, alright?"

"I will not. It is less than two days, I do not think I will have any more trouble."

"I hope not. I'll call you tomorrow love. Night night."