Chapter 1 -- Found

Scott pulled the collar of his jacket up a bit and tucked his chin, trying to keep out the cold rain. It was rarely *this* nasty in Los Angeles, but this storm had been making life miserable for three days now. As he dug for his keys, the plastic grocery bag slipped from his half numb fingers. He watched as his orange rolled across the sidewalk and just past the side of the building. He cursed and almost decided to let it go it but he'd promised his mom he'd get one because of the nasty cold he was fighting. Besides, how much wetter could he get, anyway?

He made sure the other groceries were safe and took a few steps to the side, then turned and leaned down to grab the orange but it was instead lifted for him. His eyes slowly adjusted to the darker alley and he saw a small figure dressed all in black, sitting against the building. The big green eyes were staring at the orange he held in his small, trembling hand.

"What are you doing out here?" Scott asked.

"Can I have it?"

"If you need it, yes." He dropped his hand and stepped back, his drug-fogged brain trying to figure out what to do. "Do you have somewhere to go?"

"If I did, I would not be out here. I hate the rain." The small, playful voice was high, but not strained or sharp. He curled further into his hoodie if it was possible, his small fingers adjusting his hood around his face.

"Why are you out here?"

"My last owner was mean. I snuck away when he went to work."

Owner? Was some scary dominant going to come around looking for his sub? TOO much INFORMATION!! " Are you on drugs, or dangerous, or something?" He certainly didn't look like a threat.

A musical laugh escaped his lips. "No Sir. Do you want me to be?"

"Not particularly. Um, okay, look..... I live right around the corner. Do you want to come in and get dry, have some dinner?"

He jumped up gracefully. Even fully upright he was much shorter than Scott but he was used to that. "Yes please."

"Wait, how old are you?" He tried to get a better look at his face but between the gloom, the rain, and the shadows, he couldn't see much. "Are you underage? And what's your name?"

"I am not a child" he answered, almost petulant. "I am 20. My name is Midge."

"Okay, follow me." He turned the corner and retrieved his groceries, then opened the foyer door and climbed the stairs to his small apartment. Once inside he put the groceries on the small countertop and turned to the small figure hunched near the door, still holding his orange like precious cargo. "So, Midge, let me find you some dry clothes."

The stranger slid to the floor and sat, beginning to quickly peel the orange. He had just popped the first piece in his mouth when his ears picked up the sound of footsteps coming his way on the carpet.

Scott returned a moment later with sweats and a t-shirt, along with a sweater. "They're going to be huge on you, but I have a dryer so just hand me yours and we'll get them dry."

Midge handed him his precious orange and took the bundle of clothes. He let his eyes wander, but he stood in place.

"Oh, here, bathroom's on the right" he pointed. "Help yourself."

Locking the door behind him, Midge grabbed a towel from the back of the door and crawled into the bathtub and pulled that curtain closed as well. He listened then, but Scott was still far away, probably in the kitchen. Slowly, he untied his hood and pulled it down, then unzipped his hoodie. He used the towel to dry his hair, then uselessly arranged it around his ears. He quickly dried his torso, not minding now that he hadn't grabbed a shirt in his rush this morning.

He pulled the t-shirt Scott had given him on and caught it when it threatened to fall down below his waist. He tied a small knot so it wouldn't get wet, then pulled off his pants, dried off, and pulled on the sweatpants. Thankfully they had a string so he tied it tightly and let the t-shirt fall down over them. He looked down and chuckled; he looked like a clown. The tee hung halfway to his knees and the pants were bunched up above his ankles. At least the shirt would help hide his bulges.

Now, what to do about his ears? The sweater Scott had given him would be warm but it didn't have a hood. He didn't want to put back on the one he had taken this morning but he couldn't go out like this, either. He contemplated asking for a hat but then inspiration struck and he wrapped the towel around his head. He took a good look at himself in the full length mirror and then stepped out softly, his bare feet padding along the carpet towards the kitchen.

Scott spotted him and quickly tried desperately to hold in a laugh. The boy looked a MESS. The clothes were bad enough, being at least 2 sizes too big but the towel was just icing on the proverbial cake. He turned back to the stove, stirring the soup he was heating, but couldn't wipe the grin off his face.

"I look silly, I know. I am sorry. But thank you for the clothes, I am much warmer."

"No, I'm sorry. It's fine, no problem. Oh, here" He reached out for the clothes Midge held in his hands but the small boy jerked backwards so quickly that Scott barely had time to register. Once he saw his face though, the obvious fear made him step back as well. "I was just going to take the clothes. I'll put them in the dryer, okay?"

"Oh, sure. Thanks." He grinned, then stepped forward and dumped the almost dripping load into Scott's hands. "Do you need help?" He stretched his neck, trying to see the soup he could smell so well. Tomato, definitely. Vegetables, as well. It smelled delicious and he licked his lips.

"No, it's all good. I'm going to take care of these and then I'll make you a bowl. Why don't you turn on the TV and find something? I'll be right back." He pulled back the curtain hiding the washer and dryer and dumped the sodden clothes in, turning it on. When he looked over to check on Midge, he was curled up on the couch, staring at the window.

Midge stared at the rain that was hitting the window almost horizontally. He was so, so glad to be out of it. This couch was the softest thing he'd sat or laid on in months, and Scott was being so nice to him. Now, if he could just hide his secret long enough for the rain to stop, maybe he'd have a chance ...