Chapter 43 -- Another

Scott had to give it to him, that boy was cool as a cucumber, although where that saying had come from he'd probably never understand. Midge sat in the car as if someone weren't about to put something permanent on his body with a needle, or gun, or whatever they called it. Yeah, he'd done it but only because the rest of his family had done it too, in support of his dad, and it was an all-or-nothing deal. No regrets but his was well hidden, not out on his arm for everyone to see.

Midge was excited and still rather confused that Scott was letting him, but he'd been replaying their conversation over in his head while they drove. Did he really think of things that way? That Midge was practically free? Because that's the way he talked, as if he had autonomy and control and wasn't in service. Impossible. He shook is head to clear it and looked at the glowing neon sign above the door. It's not as pretty as Disneyland.

The walked in and Scott looked over to make sure Midge wasn't pulling a roller coaster and changing his mind. There was no way he was going to push him into this.

Midge was wide-eyed, his eyes scanning the room until they came to rest on a beautiful girl hunched over her work table in a side room, organizing and preparing for her next client.

When she looked up, the first thing Scott noticed was her eyes; they were a brilliant bright green, the same green as Midge's, and huge. She had porcelain skin and a gorgeous smile. He looked back down at Midge who had his head cocked to the side, a serious look on his usually relaxed face.

"Hi, I'll be with you in just a second. Are you Midge?" she asked.

"I am" he answered softly, his voice flat as he squeezed Scott's hand.

"I'm Allie. Feel free to have a seat or look around."

"Scott?" Midge asked, edging closer towards her.

"What is it? Do you know her?" he whispered.

"No. I do not think so. But there is a Neko here, or was, I am not sure."

"Really? How do you know?"

"I can smell her, but it is not very strong. It is everywhere though, I do not know...." He took a few more steps towards her room and paused, then turned and walked back to the chairs near the door. "No, it is not her" he said, his shoulders slumped.

"But are you sure because those eyes... I mean she looks...."

"I know. She could be, but it is not her. Maybe when I am closer to her I will be able to figure things out, but please, please do not say anything. It may not be safe."

"I won't. Whatever you want Midge, you know a LOT more about this whole business than I do."

"So, did you bring a picture?" she asked, walking over.

"I did." He pulled the paper from his pocket, smoothing it and handing it over.

"Are you sure about the all black? I can throw some color in for you if you'd like. This is really cute though."

"I am sure."

"Okay, let me print it out and we'll do placement next. I'll be right back and then we'll go to the chair." Once she had the computer up and running, she turned her head towards the back. "Viktoria?" she called.

"Yeah Allie?" came a lyrical voice from another side room.

"My appointment is here and I'll be about an hour, can you catch the walk-ins?"

"Absolutely. I'll keep an eye out."

A few minutes later Midge was sitting back in the chair, his right arm resting next to Allie and she was diligently starting the outline. Scott held his hand while Allie worked, although Midge said it didn't really hurt. It was practically hurting Scott though, so he held on. The entire time he wondered what Midge was smelling, or seeing, or hearing and whether or not he'd figured everything out. Allie was a hoot though, and they laughed and talked and the time flew by.

Midge knew the moment he sat down in the chair that Allie was not Neko. Where the smell was coming from was harder to discern though. Was it simply another customer who had been in before them? It didn't seem so, it was very spread out, but perhaps she had walked around? He just couldn't tell. The scent wasn't particularly strong on Allie or her clothes, so he didn't think she owned one, which was his first thought once he realized she wasn't Neko herself.

"Can I see some of yours, Allie? I like to look at them" Midge said when Allie stopped to clean up his arm.

"Of course" She pulled the neck of her shirt down a bit and showed him a few that he hadn't been able to see before.

"I like the stars, they are  so bright!" Midge exclaimed. "You have a yummy strawberry."

"Yeah" she said, smiling. "It's an inside joke and a long story but it's pretty much an 'F-You'.

"Creative way of doing it" Scott said, grinning. "I like it."

"Okay, all set. I'll wrap it up for you and then you can pay" she announced, hopping up.

"So?" Scott hissed, impatient.

"I like it. Do you not?"

"It's awesome but I meant HER!"

"Oh, she is not but I do not know much more." He looked down at his forearm. "I never thought I would have one, and if I did, not one I liked so much."

Scott refocused, realizing that the kitten on his arm was definitely the most important thing going on right now. "I'm so glad. You should love whatever you put on your body."

"I hope it does not displease you."

"You finally accepting that you, and all of this" he said, his eyes roaming up and down his sleek body "is yours makes me very happy. I know it's hard, but we're getting there."

"Thank you Scott, for this. Could we please go this way?" He walked the long way to the register, boldly walking in front of Scott and asking him to follow. He walked past Viktoria's now open door slowly, then passed by her while she organized the magazines on the table.

Scott shot him a questioning look but he nodded his head 'no.' She wasn't Neko either.

"So, let me know when you're ready to do his next one" Scott said, paying Allie and giving her a good tip.

"Anytime, just give me a call. I can certainly make room for the two of you. I'm glad Lia sent you my way."

"Thank you Allie, for my lovely gift."

"Oh you're welcome honey, I'm so glad you like it."