Chapter 33 -- Calendar

Scott watched Midge circle the children's reading area, his eyes flashing bright green as they scanned the covers. He figured they'd be here awhile so he sat down on one of the small bean bag chairs and settled in. "See anything you like?"

"I can read some of the titles, although the names are still hard. How do you know how to say a name you have never heard of?"

"You don't. It's up to you. If it's similar to another name I usually say it the same way, but it doesn't really matter, I guess."

"I want something difficult enough that I will learn, but not so hard that I can not do it myself."

"I can help you, you know, but you're right. I don't want you to get frustrated and you've been doing a lot of reading when I'm not around."

"How many should I choose?"

"Grab a bunch."

"Saying a bunch is not very helpful to me Scott. Oh! I am sorry, can I say that? I did not mean---"

"You're right, and yes, you can say anything you want to me."

Midge was shocked at the statement. Certainly he didn't mean anything. He certainly owed Scott an apology. "I did not mean to be rude."

"You weren't Midge. Why don't you get 4 or 5 that look about right, and 4 or 5 more that are harder? I don't know, 8 or 10 total maybe? Does that sound alright?"

He'd been hoping for at least two, or maybe even three. "That is a lot, thank you. I will try to choose."

Scott was amused. Midge would carefully choose a book and bring it over to Scott, looking for approval. He simply nodded and held onto it, watching him scurry back to the shelves to choose another. When he had quite a little stack they made their way to the registers.

Along the way Midge spotted the calendars and stopped. He tried to sound out the words, realizing quickly that each month had a chart and then he figured out Sunday and Monday. "Scott?"

"Yes?"

"Will you help me? Is this Tuesday?"

"Yep, you got it."

"But it is not spelled T-O or T-W-O like it should. Is there another Tue? What does T-U-E mean?"

"Nothing. It's only Tuesday that's spelled that day. Damn, English is ridiculous. How does anyone learn it?" He shook his head.

"And this calendar is how you know the days?"

"Mmhmm"

"But you do not have one."

"I have one on my phone. So do you, I can show you later. You've never seen a... okay, I'm figuring this out. They kept you uneducated on purpose, didn't they? Didn't teach you to read, or use the remote or even use a damn calendar because it makes you helpless, keeps you down and subservient. And because you can't do these things that no one can unless they're taught, you accept it when they say they're better than you? That you're stupid? I thought they were just lazy and mean, but this is much worse."

"I... I do not know. I have never thought of it that way, although you are probably right. I know that there are many things I do not understand and now that I can read, so many things make more sense."

"It changes everything. The whole world is run on words. Pick one" he said, nodding his head towards the huge display. "We'll put it up and use it." He had an easy time choosing, the one of beaches was plucked off the shelf quickly and Scott added it to the stack.

"Thank you."

"There are so many things I take for granted, that I just know. And I have NO idea which of those things were kept from you, so if you ever don't understand something, or have questions, please ask. I want to put the whole world in your hands." He paid and they got back in the car, heading towards one of his favorite shopping centers.

Midge rode silently, watching the scenery. He enjoyed people watching at the stoplights. He read words from signs and buildings as they went, Scott helping him out when he struggled.

"Okay, now for clothes. At least now we know pretty much what sizes you are, Mr. Tiny. We'll buy you some stuff that you actually like and just return anything that won't work. I think we'll be able to guess pretty well. But, I need you to tell me what you actually LIKE, okay? The whole 'I don't need anything' isn't going to work. I want you to have things that make you happy. Alright?"

"I will do my best although I am not sure exactly what I need or what you would like me to have. I want my clothes to please you as well."

"Come on, let's find you some lightweight pants and some t-shirts for tomorrow, at the very least."

Midge walked behind Scott, glad he didn't have to fend off the sales associates which seemed to throw themselves at them every 30 seconds. When Scott pointed to a pair of pants with approximately a hundred zippers and pockets, Midge wasn't sure if he was serious.

"Thought it might help with... well you'd have lots of places to put things."

"Ah, yes, I see. Okay."

"Black, gray, brown, blue?"

"Black please." He watched Scott look for his size and his eyes roamed. Every time his gaze rested too long on something, Scott grabbed his size and held it up, waiting for a nod or a shake of the head. He'd never had so much say in.... in anything. It was weird for him to choose things like this, to have control over what went on his body, what food he ate, what he did with his time. He decided that he liked it very, very much.

"Okay, I think this will do it. Let's take these home and see what works. If even half of it does, I think you'll be set for the trip. Going to do another fashion show for me?"

"Wha... I would like to try them on."

"And I would like to watch" Scott grinned. "It sounds like fun."

That evening they tried on everything, Scott cracking up when Midge pulled his pants down low 'like he had seen those other guys do' and pulled his tail out, letting it stick out from below his shirt. The black cargo pants were perfect though, and as short as Midge was, most of the shirts landed down around his hips and hid his tail without too much effort.

The new calendar was hung on the wall, Scott transferring his meetings and rehearsals for the next week onto it. Midge wrote 'Misty' in tomorrow's box and stared at it for awhile, letting it sink in. After a late dinner they packed their things, Midge folding his new clothes perfectly and packing them carefully in the bag Scott loaned him, very pleased with himself.

That night, even though Midge was exhausted, he lay awake in bed for a long time. He didn't mind though, because Scott's arm was wrapped around him and he knew that tomorrow he would see his sister for the first time in seven long years. He hugged Marley closer. He didn't want to hope that she might have news of the rest of the family but he couldn't help but wonder.