Chapter 100 -- Reward

Scott had finally fallen asleep around 3:00 a.m. but here it was not even 8:00 and he was awake again.  He ran to the door and opened it just in case there was a sleeping Midge curled up outside but no, of course there wasn't.

Think.  He had to think.  What were the options?  What was most likely?  He had to figure out what had happened before he could solve the riddle and find his boy.  Paper.  Yes, this was going to require paper.  And hypermilk, um, coffee.  Yes, definitely coffee.

He sat down at their small dining room table with both things, pen in hand.  Okay, what did he know?

1.  Midge would not have run away
2.  He was IN the mall with him and Kelly
3.  The customer service desk said they hadn't seen him, and he hadn't answered the page.
4.  He seemed to not be in the mall when it closed.
5.  He didn't have his phone
6.  ...  ... ....

So where did he go?  He wouldn't have left the mall without Scott unless he had to, right?  He didn't like to go out alone and no, that just wasn't likely.  So, he had left against his will.  With who?  How?  Someone had taken him, it was the only thing that made sense.

He tilted the chair back and rubbed at his scratchy eyes.  Who?  How?  The last time Steven had tried to take him Midge had more than taken care of himself.  Steven.  He could have seen them and Scott probably wouldn't have noticed him in the crowd, he wasn't really paying attention.  He could have waited for a chance while Midge was alone and grabbed him.

He threw his coat on over his sweatpants and grabbed his keys, heading to the restaurant.  He ran to the front door and realized it was closed, it didn't open until lunch time.  "FUCK!" he yelled, banging on the door anyway.

He gave up and headed home.  He needed help, and a plan, and someone to work things out with him and make sure he wasn't missing something.  He grabbed a shower and called Zac and Kelly, hoping they could come over and help him come up with a solution.  Kelly was free, since she had studio time booked on her calendar.  Zac however had to work but said he could reschedule his afternoon meetings and would be there by noon.

        Kelly arrived with muffins and a hug, both of which were desperately needed.  "What's the plan babe?"

"I don't know.  I think Steven might have him so I want to go to the restaurant and talk to him."

        "Talk?" Kelly questioned.

"Well, enough to find out if he has him.  Then I'm going to make him give him back, one way or another."

        "Some people would just file a missing persons report Scott."

"I thought of that, but is getting the police involved a good idea?  What am I going to say 'Oh, this guy with no last name that's been crashing at my place and happens to have no ID, oh, and he's part cat, well, he's gone missing'?"

        "Uh, yeah.  I see the problem.  So uh, if someone took him, what would they, I mean, do you think they'd want to keep him or didn't you say they got sold?  I mean, is it a money thing?"

"Sometimes, probably.  Steven hurt him though, kept him for awhile, I don't think he would sell him."

        "But if it's not Steven and just some random person?  Or if he wants money more than Midge?  What if we put up reward posters?"

Scott jumped up and pulled Kelly into his arms, bouncing.  "YES!  Oh my god I LOVE you.  Yes.  Okay, so maybe I can sort of buy him back?  That sounds so wrong."

        "But I know what you mean.  Yeah, maybe they'd ransom him to you or something."

Scott ran into his bedroom and grabbed the laptop to make a flyer.  "Okay, do I make it like REWARD real big on the top?  That makes him sound like a missing pet."

        "How about Missing?"

"Yeah, okay.  So, missing, and then his picture below that?  Which one should we use?"

        "Well I wouldn't show his ears.  Anyone who has him will recognize him, I'm sure.  Oooh, that one" she said, pointing.

"Okay, and below that a little blurb that he went missing yesterday and the reward, and a contact number.  Anything else?"

        "Looks good, really good.  Let's get some printed and we'll put them up all over the place."

Scott put an online order in and listed Kelly as the alternative pick-up person.  "Can you grab some and see what you can do about getting some posted?  When Zac gets here I need to go see Steven, and I'll put a bunch more up afterwards if I don't get any info out of him."

        "Will you call me after, let me know how things go?"

"Sure Kake."

        "And if you need company tonight, you know you don't have to be alone.  Call me, or someone.  Okay?"

"I'm not feeling very much like company but thanks."

        She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the jaw.  "Love you Dot, take care.  We'll find him."