Chapter 35 -- Sebastian

***** Okay guys, I never do this but how the HECK did this story end up on the first page?  Wow!  Thanks so much for the likes and comments, I'm sort of emotional.  I read them all, and they make writing a lot more fun.  Anywhooooo, when we last left our heroes, they on their way to Phoenix in Scott's car .... ;)

Midge stared out the window at the beautiful houses.  One after another, each with perfect landscaping, they passed by.  He tried to think of anything but Misty, tried to distract himself but he couldn't quite manage it.  He was grateful beyond measure that Scott had gotten into the backseat with him when they stopped for gas about an hour ago.  The arm wrapped around his shoulders was a great comfort, so solid and warm.

He looked up at Zac in the front seat, manuevering the car easily through the random narrow streets and turns.  He'd been SO nice to him all day, and he understood why Scott liked him so much.  He was big, too, tall like Scott and he felt very safe knowing they would both be with him when he went in.

When the car stopped Midge looked around.  "Which one?"

        "Just ahead of us, with the white shutters." Zac answered.  "Didn't want to block him in, just in case you end up staying."

"Will you stay too, Zac?" Midge asked.

        "Probably not, my parents would like to see me but if you need me to, I guess I can for tonight.  He has lots of room.  We'll figure it out, okay?"

"Thank you."  The house WAS big, although certainly not the largest on the street.  It was beautiful, and he was very glad that Misty had such a nice house to live in.

"Ready?" Scott asked, opening the door and unfolding his legs to get out.  "Next time I say I don't need a big back seat, someone shoot me."

Midge's eyes widened and he grabbed his wrist.

"No, no, it's a joke."

"It is not funny Scott."

"Sorry.  Wow, you're a little stressed, huh?  Don't blame you though.  Come on, let's get this party started."

Scott and Midge followed Zac up the sidewalk and onto the covered front step, glad for the shade. "She is here" Midge squeaked.  "She is here!"

"Where?" Scott asked, looking around.

"I am sorry, I do not know.  I can only smell her."

"Ah, gotchya.  Okay Zac, hit the bell."  Scott was nervous, he couldn't imagine how Midge was feeling.  He held onto his hand, although he wasn't sure if he was trying to make his boy feel better or himself.  Either way, it was the only thing he could think of.

        "Hey Uncle Sebastian" Zac said when the door opened.  His uncle was not all that much older than him, being his father's youngest brother and was still slim and had the undeniable Kirk nose.  He followed him in and turned quickly back to make sure Scott and Midge were following along behind him.

        "So" Sebastian said, "you must be Scott and this is most definitely Midge.  Welcome."

"Thanks so much, we really appreciate you letting us visit" Scott answered.  He sat on the couch next to Zac and guided Midge down next to him.

Midge was waiting, listening for Misty.  Why wasn't she here yet?  Was he going to see her?

        "Misty, you may come in now" Sebastian said.  He sat in his armchair and rested his hand on her head when she came to kneel at his feet.

Every muscle in Scott's body tensed when he saw her sit on the floor but Midge squeezed his hand and he sat back, unmoving.  He tried to take a few deeper breaths and calm down a bit.

Midge stared, trying to make eye contact but she didn't look up.  She smiled though, and Midge knew it was for him.  Her collar was deep scarlet leather, complete with a little bell, and matched the red streak in her waist-length hair.

        "So Scott, you are very young to have such an expensive toy.  I'm very impressed.  Have you owned him long?"

"No.  No I haven't" he replied through clenched teeth.

        "Still in the honeymoon phase, ahhh, I remember those days.  Training is such fun.  I almost considered trading her in for a new kitten just so I could do it again, but people talk.  It's easier to keep her and she is a very good girl."

"May I sit next to her?" Midge asked.

        "Excuse me?  Who gave you permission to talk?" Sebastian bellowed.  "Scott, you had better get him under control or you'll regret it.  You can not let them get away with stuff like that, take it from someone a bit more experienced.  And you, Midge, will not open your mouth again in my house unless you are asked a question, do you understand?"

Scott jumped to his feet although Zac stood with him, trying to get him to calm down.  "You will not talk to him that way.  He may speak whenever he damn well wants to!"

        "You don't own him, do you?  No owner would let his pet get away with that.  Midge, is that why you're not wearing a collar?  Come here and kneel beside your sister."

"Don't Midge, don't listen to him."

        "Midge, NOW" Sebastian repeated.

Midge didn't have to think twice, he stayed in place.  "No, I will not.  My master forbids it."

        "Okay, okay, hell, you can't blame a guy for trying."  Sebastian said dismissively.  "He's cute though, even with that mouth.  Any chance you want to swap for the weekend?  I bet he's really good---"

Scott didn't have much experience hitting people but when his fist crashed into Sebastian's face, he knew he'd done a pretty good job.