Chapter 67 -- Spock

"Hey Midge, that was Scott.  You're stuck with me for a little while longer, okay?  The shopping will have to wait."

"That...'s fine.  Do you mind?"

        "Nope, it's all good."  Zac stretched out on the couch.  "Come get comfortable.  Your chair's open."

Midge grabbed Marley from the top of his bag and curled up in the recliner.  "I wonder when he will call me."

        "Oh, info.  Sorry.  He said he tried earlier, but it must have been before you plugged your phone in or while we were at Starbucks.  He says he's sorry and seems to have realized what an a... um, that he was wrong.  I'm sure he'll call you later once things are settled down over there.  Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course" he answered, grinning.

        "So do you hate dogs or are you afraid of them?"

"They are evil and kill."

        "What?" Zac asked, chuckling.  "Because you're a Neko?  I mean I get that cats and dogs don't get along but you're not really a cat.  Can they tell?"

"I have never been near one but I have heard the stories, of course.  My mother told me all about the dogs."

        Zachary sat up, looking over at Midge.  "Tell me a story, I don't get it."

"Neko children out during the day alone are often stolen by dogs." he said, his voice near a whisper.

        "Seriously?  Or have you just heard it?  I mean, does it really happen or is it a story mothers tell their kids so they don't wander too far from home?"

"Of course it must, they are evil.  I do not know why humans insist on keeping them in their homes."

        "I'm not sure there's actually anything to be afraid of.  Speaking of pets, how do you feel about cats?"

"I like them just fine.  How do YOU feel about cats?"

        "About the same, apparently.  I mean, do you like have some crazy connection?"

"Ah, I see what you are asking.  No, I do not think so.  I like them and think they are cute but they are not like me.  It would be nice to have a kitten, maybe."

        "I always wondered."

"May I ask you a question?"

        "Yep"

"Why are you kind to me?"

        "Why wouldn't I be Midge?"

"Because you love Scott" he said, matter-of-factly.

        "A little, I guess. I don't know."  He sighed, then smiled.  "I like you, end of story.  And maybe I feel a little bit guilty about Misty so I try to help you.  How did you know?"

"I knew the night you came over, the way you said you missed him.  I could feel your sadness even though your voice was light.  It is in your eyes, too, sometimes.  I seem to read humans better than they read each other."

        "That wouldn't be hard, I barely know what I want most of the time, much less anyone else."

"You could have lied earlier, told him I had offered or that something had happened last night.  He would have been very mad at me and maybe you could have won him back."

        "I wouldn't do that Midge."

"But why not?"

        "Because it wasn't true and he would have been just as mad at me as you, probably more.  I won't try to get between you two, Midge."  He ran his fingers nervously through his hair.

"But he could have us both.  I am just a Neko and you are a beautiful man.  He will tire of me soon."

        "Why would you say that Midge?  He doesn't see you that way, you know.  Neither do I, not that it matters too much."

"It is kind of you to answer my questions.  May I ask one more?"

        "Yep, go for it."

"Does he call you 'Captain' because of Star Trek?"

        Zac laughed.  "Yep, exactly.  I'm Captain Kirk and he's Scottie."

"I used to watch those shows a lot with Trent.  I liked the newer ones with Captain Picard better but he liked Spock."

        Zac tilted his head, thinking.  "You're Spock.  You're totally our Spock."

"Why?  Me?"

        "You've got the ears, and you're half-human and don't know why we act the way we do.  Plus, you see things differently.  I don't know if you're more logical, exactly, but it's.... yep.  Spock.  We'll have to run it by Scott, he's seen every damn episode I think.  He's such a dork."

"It is very sweet of you to include me, I think.  Now I have two funny names."

       "'And now the two of you can be Scock?  Uh, let's go with Spottie instead" he joked.  "Seriously, it's too damn perfect for words."  Zac grabbed his phone and answered Scott's call.  "Hey, how are things over there?"

"Fine.  How is he?"

        "Spock is great."

"Spock?" Scott asked, confused.

        "Yep.  I don't know how it took us this long to figure it out, but he is totally Spock."

"Oh my god you're right!  I'm obsessed!  Spock!"  He laughed for the first time that day.   "So does Spock hate me or does he want to come home?  Can I talk to him?"

        "Absolutely, here you go."  He handed the phone to Midge, then went into his room to give them some privacy.

"Hey Midge, I'm sorry about earlier.  Are you okay?"

"I am fine and you do not need to apologize.  I..'m sorry.  May I please come home?"

"Absolutely, although I wasn't sure you'd want to.  There's just one little problem.  We don't really have one for a few more days."

"I do not understand."

"It's not safe.  It was Steven that broke in so we'll have to stay somewhere else until the new apartment is ready, okay?"

"You could stay here, perhaps?" Midge asked.

"Why don't I come pick you two up and we'll go to dinner and figure things out.  Is that okay with you?"

"Very much.  I have missed you."

"Me too little one.  See you soon.... Spock."