Chapter 76 -- Olaf

Midge heard his phone ringing as soon as they entered the apartment. He grabbed it and plopped down on his bed, excited that it was Kelly. "Hello."

"Hey Midge, how are you?"

"I am fine Kelly, how are you?"

"Not great, actually. I need to ask you a HUGE favor."

"I would love to help you, you have been very kind to me. But if it is about the song I am not quite sure yet. Scott said I could decide a bit later."

"Actually, it's worse. Well, for you anyway. You know we have shows this weekend, right?"

"Yes, Scott told me."

"Okay, I know that you seem to not like dogs, right? But Olaf is SO sweet and I know you would just LOVE him if you met him and I really, really need you to help me" she rattled on in one big breath.

"Your favor is about your dog?"

"Could you PLEASE watch him this weekend? PLEASE? I'll check with Scott and make sure it's okay if he stays and he owes me so he'll have to say yes. Just PLEASE? I can't put him in a kennel and Jeremy is leaving Wednesday and will be gone all weekend too. I have one friend down with pneumonia, another who's about to pop out a baby any day, three who have finals that are making them absolutely crazy and another one out of town for a family emergency. Please, please PLEASSSE?"

"But he does not know me. He would not like to stay with me" he offered, hoping it would convince her.

"That's why I'm going to bring him to practice tomorrow! You're coming, right? You two can get to know each other and then maybe I'll crash at your place Thursday night with him so he gets used to it before we leave. It's perfect!"

"But... I do not think I can... uh walk him." There, that will do it.

He's great on a leash and he can help protect you while Scott's gone. He can't expect you to stay indoors for 3 days, right? There's that cute little dog park near your apartment, too."

"Maybe Zac or Jake would like to keep him?"

"Jake is working all day Friday and Saturday and Zac works Friday too I bet, and I just don't know him as well. Please??? Just meet him tomorrow, okay? You're going to love him. Look, I don't trust many people with my puppy but I know you would take good care of him."

"You must check with Scott. It is not really up to me" he said, hoping he could convince Scott to say no. He would do anything to not have a dog in his house.

"Okay, I'll call him now. Think about it, okay?"

"I will. I hope you find a good place for him Kelly." He hung up and went in search of Scott, trying to get to him before Kelly called so he could beg. Instead he heard Scott's phone ring and stop just as he knocked on his bedroom door.

"Come in" he said. Kelly was asking him about the apartment's dog policy and Olaf and.... Midge was frantically shaking his head 'no.' It took a moment for Kelly's questioning to link up to Midge's actions and he grinned at the poor boy practically giving himself a concussion in the doorway. "You want to bring him tomorrow?"

Midge got on his knees on the floor, his head resting near Scott's knee. He looked up when he felt Scott's hand run through his hair. "Please no" he mouthed silently, then bowed his head.

"Kel, he's really afraid of them..... Yeah, that's true..... I'm not sure...... I will......Right...... Yeah, that sounds fair.... Sure.... Okay, we'll see you two tomorrow."

"Sir please do not ask this of me. Please."

"Don't call me Sir, Midge. I didn't say yes to the weekend, just to him being there tomorrow. There are dogs in the world, honey, and you can't be afraid of them forever. Just get to know him. I'll be there, she will be, Kevin and Avi too and Olaf will be on a leash and a harness, okay? He's not going to hurt you. You haven't called me that in awhile, why now?"

"I... I was trying to be respectful. To ask politely. I am sorry, it is a habit."

"I know, I know but it makes me crazy. One of these days I'm going to go around calling you 'Sir' and see how you like it. Come up here, please. You don't need to kneel on the floor like your sister. Shit, I'm sorry."

"It is fine."

"No it's not. I get so on edge when you call me that, it just throws me for a loop. I feel like I'm missing something. Why did you say it? Why did you need to be respectful? It only comes out sometimes, when you're scared or nervous usually. You're scared of seeing Olaf, right? Or of me?"

"I thought it more likely my request would be granted if I was polite. It is usually true. But it is up to you, of course. I will meet this dog if I must."

"I'm totally making decisions for you aren't I? You're calling me Sir because I'm acting like... Right. I'm so fucking sorry. I'll call her, you don't have to do it. I'll tell her to not bring him and that you can't watch him. Okay? That's what you want, right?"

"I will meet him if you want but I do not want to be alone with him."

"Sounds like a compromise to me" Scott answered, running his hands through his hair. "Hey, would you cut my hair? This scruff on the sides is driving me crazy."

"Certainly. Do you have a buzzer razor?"

"Yep, let's go in the bathroom and do it up!"