Chapter 87 -- Wyatt

Scott wasn't quite sure why Midge was so attached to his hip. It had been this way since he'd woken up this morning and it wasn't bothering him, but he was curious if there was a reason. The only time MIdge had been more than 2 feet from him was when Scott went to the bathroom and he hadn't been sure he'd be able to do even that alone. When he turned from the fridge and bumped into Midge, he finally asked. "Are you alright?"

"I am fine. I did not mean to be in your way" Midge answered, backing up a bit.

"No, I mean, with everything? You're very... clingy today. Do you need something from me? Comfort? Are you worried about something?"

"Oh, you are worried about me? I am not used to..."

"To being loved?" Scott closed the distance and pulled him against his chest, his arms resting lightly on Midge's shoulders.

"Yes" he whispered.

"Is it about last night? Are you unsure or worried about what happened?"

"No, I had fun last night and you are happy, I can tell. I guess.... I guess I am a little bit lonely from the weekend and I know you will go again soon and I understand that you must but I just want to be close to you while I can."

"Maybe you need a pet. I know you have Marley to keep you company when I'm gone but maybe... I don't know, would you like a kitten or a hamster or something? Or would you eat a hamster?"

Midge shot him a dirty look. "You did not ask me that. You are kidding, right?"

"About the hamster, yes. But I was kind of serious about the cat, unless that's offensive in which case I'm kidding about all of it and just forget it."

"You are funny." Midge said, watching Scott blush and squirm a bit. "I like cats. Maybe it would be fun to have something to play with when you are gone."

"Maybe we should go to the pet store and see if someone wants to come home with us."

"Today?"

"No time like the present. Besides, tomorrow we have practice and studio time. You're still in for the song, right?"

"Yes, I will do my best. I hope I will not disappoint you all."

"Your best is breathtaking, so don't worry about that. Want to stop by the pet store?"

"Sure. Is it near the park?"

"Oh, your friend. Yeah, we can stop there, it's not far. Why don't we get her some McDonalds or something and take it over after we kitten shop?"

"That would be nice. Thank you Scott."

***** ***** ***** *****

Midge was a little anxious as he walked through the door Scott held open. The first thing he noticed was the smell; so many animals in one large room. The next thing that hit him was the noises. He heard the rodents chewing and running in their wheels, several things scratching, and the birds all screeching and cawing.

"Wow, they have a ton. Let's find the kittens." He took Midge's hand and pulled him further back into the store with him.

Midge knew immediately when Scott saw one he liked. He peered out from behind his arm and smiled at the little calico kitten in front of him. She was rubbing herself against the front of the glass cage while her two littermates slept in a ball in the back. She walked up and headbutted against Scott's hand, her face split in two by a cute patch over her eye.

"She's adorable. Do you like her? Or him? I have no idea."

"She is cute." He wandered down to the next set of cages, his eyes immediately drawn to the bottom cage where a single kitten lay in a ball, shivering. "He is hairless."

"Oh my god. WHAT is that??"

"It is a cat, Scott. He needs a home, he is cold."

"But he's... um... I guess they're cuter with fur."

"I do not have so much. Well, more than you of course. Do you like me?" he asked.

"I more than like you, boy, and you know that. You are fishing for compliments."

"You are obsessed with me and fishing. He is perfect."

"Well, it is for you so you should love whatever we get. Want to hold him?"

"YES!"

"Wait here, I'll go ask for some help."

A few minutes later Midge was seated on the floor with a now non-shivering kitten curled up in his lap. "I love him."

The salesperson seemed pleased. "I'm so glad. His brothers and sisters have been gone for two weeks but for some reason, no one wanted the last one. What are you going to name him?"

"I would like to name him Wyatt" Midge offered.

"Wyatt it is. Wyatt Blue, after Beyonce's daughter" Scott added.

"Do you guys have a litterbox, food, toys, all the stuff he'll need?"

"Nope, can you help us with all of that?"

"Sure, let's get you and Wyatt all set up."