Chapter 109 -- Texas

Zac was worried, really worried.  Scott was sitting on the couch, exactly where he'd been when he left yesterday, headphones still on, eyes still red.  He dumped the Starbucks and bag of bagels on the table and walked over, lifting off the headphones and putting them over his own ears instead.  It was... wow.  It had to be Midge, because it was definitely the QuarnerStones but that voice was....  He took them off, sitting them on the coffee table. "No" he said, when Scott reached for them.

"Give him back."

        "You need a break.  You need food, and a shower, and to get out of this house.  Aren't you supposed to be packing for Texas?"

"Are you fucking crazy?  I am NOT leaving L.A. unless it's with him.  He's out there, alone or probably much worse and I.... I can't leave him."

        "Scott, you always go home for Christmas.  Your mother will kill you."       

"Let her.  I don't care."  He reached for the headphones again, his only connection to Midge but his hand was slapped away as Zac scooped them up.  "I need to hear him.  It's the rough cut, it's not perfect yet but he's.... he's there.  This was Thursday, the day I lost him.  And the words, the song.  It's...."

        "It's hurting you more than helping, I think."  Zac replied sadly.  "I'm sorry I can't stay, I have to get to work.  You have to at least get in the shower before I go.  Please?"

Scott looked up, the weight in his chest so heavy that even moving his head felt like a battle.  "Later."

        "No, now.  I don't want to come back tonight and find you here, exactly the same.  Shower, shave, put on PANTS and then eat some breakfast.  Minimum.  That's the minimum, got it? Get up."

"I can't, okay?  I know you don't get it but I can't.  All I can imagine is him chained up somewhere, hurt and scared.  And I'm sitting on my fancy fucking couch drinking Starbucks and that is NOT okay.  I have to hurt at least a little bit, don't you see that?  I can't.... it can't be all him.  It's not fair!".

        "I know, it's not.  But you hurting isn't helping Midge.  He wouldn't want you to feel like this, it would make things worse if he thought you were like this.

Scott's phone rang and he let it go to voicemail before it instantly rang again.  He picked it up, glancing at the number.  "Texas?  Not in my address book though.  Probably some random relative.  I don't care" he mumbled before putting it back down.  The third time it rang he threw his head back in frustration and then answered.  "Hello?"

        "Scott?"

"Yes."

        "This is Agent Guy.  I'd like to talk to you about Midge."

"MIDGE?!!?"  He sat up and grabbed at Zac with his free hand.  "Do you have him?  Is he safe?  Where is he?" he asked.

        "He's with me, and safe.  We have a lot to discuss but he's told me that he would like me to contact you."

"Can I talk to him?  Please?  Is he there?  What happened?  Wait, you're Agent Guy?"

        "Yes.  He is here, and you can say hello once we finalize some details."

"Agent Guy?  A Guy?  You're 'A Guy in Texas' he told me about?"

        "Yep, that's me.  Those Nekos, always so literal.  Funny.  Now, we need to meet."

Scott knew it was completely inappropriate but the stress of the past 5 days finally broke and he laughed.  "A guy."  Finally he composed himself a little bit.  "Where are you?  Where do we meet?  I want to see him.  Please."

        "Midge tells me you might be willing to come to Dallas."

"You're in Dallas?  Absolutely, I mean, I'm in Los Angeles so it'll... yeah I can come."

        "When works for you?"

"Today.  Today!  I'm fuck...sorry!  I'm coming now.  I just have to get a flight and.... oh my god I was so scared.  I thought Steven had him or... god I didn't know.  What happened?"

        "LAPD got ahold of him.  He had a rough few days in jail but he's fine now.  You have my number, call me back when you have an ETA to Dallas and we'll plan where to meet."

"Can I talk to him?  Please?"

        "Yeah, hold on a second.  Midge, you wanna say 'hi?'

"Hello Scott.  I missed you" Midge said softly.

"Oh god MIdge.  I... I missed you too.  I was so scared."

"I am sorry I could not call you before.  I did not mean to leave but..."

"It's okay, it's okay.  Really.  Please don't apologize, I'm just so glad you're safe.  Are you?  Are you okay?"

"I am fine.  Are you coming to get me?"

"Yes little one, I'll be there soon.  As soon as I possibly can, okay?"

"Alright.  Thank you for coming.  I will see you soon."

"Music to my ears love, music to my ears.  I'll call Agent Guy once I have a flight, okay?"

"Good bye Scott."

"Good bye."  He stared at his phone a moment even after he had disconnected, then looked back at Zac.  "He's okay.  I'm going to Texas to get him.  Guy called me."

        "That's what he meant!"

"Huh?"

        "I called Uncle Sebastian, I was desperate.  I thought maybe, just maybe he could help, you know?  But he didn't, he just said for you to call Guy and I thought he was being an ass and ignored it. I didn't know..."

"It's so fucked up and funny.  Agent Guy, don't know who he's working for but I'm going to ask him a LOT of questions when I get there, trust me.  I have to go.  I have to shower and pack and get to the airport!"

        "I'll call Esther for you on the way to work and have her get you a flight.  You need to take care of the nasty.  Call me later, okay?  Let me know how it goes.  I'll cross my fingers."

"Thanks Zac, really.  I...."

        "Yeah, yeah, you owe me.  Buy me an Island."