Chapter 98 -- Eval Pt. 2

Midge stirred when he was told by the guard to come out of his cage. He glanced briefly at his uneaten breakfast and ran his fingers through his hair before making his way through the door and down the hallway.

"Right here, inside you go." He peeked his head in at the doctor. "Want me to stay ma'am?"

"Has he been violent?"

"No, meek as a mouse. Funny since he's a cat. But no, no trouble."
"Wait in the hallway then, please" she answered, opening the blinds on the window between the hallway and her office so the guard would have a clear view. "Have a seat Mr. Hoying."

Midge looked at the metal chair briefly before sitting down and putting his hands in his lap. He watched her take out the tape recorder and turn it on.

Smith: I'm Doctor Smith, and all we're going to do today is have you take a few tests and then talk awhile, alright? You are being recorded. This will be easiest and most helpful for you if you cooperate and tell the truth. Do you understand what I've said to you?

Midge: Yes.

Smith: Are you fully fluent in English?

Midge: Yes, I think so.

Smith: Are you literate?

Midge: Can I read?

Smith: Correct, can you read?

Midge: I... yes but not well.

Smith: Alright, I'll help you with the tests then, it's not a problem. I will ask you a question and you tell me if you think it applies to you never, sometimes, or often. Do you understand?

Midge: Yes but I do not know your rules. I do not know what is proper or how I should act.

Smith: Just tell the truth, there are no rules.

Note: Two hours break for evaluation tests. Patient was allowed a bathroom break and given some water before he took the final two tests.

Smith: Now, can I get you anything before we have our talk?

Midge: No. I am fine

Smith: Please tell me your name and age, for the record and my report.

Midge: My name is Midge, I am 20 years old.

Smith: And how are you feeling today?

Note: Patient often takes up to 30 seconds before answering.

Midge: I do not feel good.

Smith: Physically or mentally? Please explain.

Midge: I am tired and cold and hungry. I am scared and very sad and want to go home.

Smith: And where is home?

Midge: With Scott.

Smith: Who is Scott?

Midge: He is.... I live with him.

Note: Patient often rubs wrist, including now, although he is not handcuffed.

Smith: Please explain what happened yesterday, and how you came to be here.

Midge: I was at the mall with Scott and Kelly but I went into a store alone. I should not have done so. I touched a bracelet but I did not know it was wrong. The guards were very angry although I gave it back. They found out about me and brought me here but I did not do anything wrong.

Smith: Were you going to steal the bracelet?

Midge: No. I was just looking at it. I wanted to see what was inside and it was a watch. It was beautiful but it was not mine. I have a bracelet, I do not need another. I wish I could have it back.

Smith: You did not see a problem with taking it out of the case and putting it on?

Midge: No, but I understand that it must be wrong. The guards were angry with me.

Note: Patient was shivering and given a blanket which he wrapped completely around himself. He seemed slightly more relaxed.

Smith: Can you tell me about your tail and ears please?

Midge: What do you want to know?

Smith: Does anyone else in your family have the same mutation?

Midge: We are all Neko.

Smith: What is Neko?

Midge: What I am. I do not understand.

Smith: Do you mean you describe someone with your mutations as Neko?

Midge: I think so.

Smith: Are you a Neko Human? For instance, I am a Caucasian, female human. You are a Male Neko human?

Midge: No, I am a boy Neko.

Smith: Do you know of anyone else with this mutation? Other than your family?

Midge: Yes, there are others.

Smith: You hide yourself, as I'm sure you feel you must. Do you fear people finding out about your tail and ears?

Midge: I am here because of it. I do not understand. I have done nothing but you will not let me go home.

Smith: Tell me about your childhood, growing up. Did others know?

Midge: Only my family and other Nekos. I did not see humans very much. Some knew, I am sure but not many. The man who bought my sister knew, he saw me.

Smith: The man who bought your sister?

Midge: Yes, Misty's master Sebastian knows of me. More now but he knew then and that is your question, correct?

Smith: Explain how your sister was bought?

Midge: My mother received money and he took Misty. That is how you buy things.

Smith: Were you also bought?

Midge: Yes, later.

Smith: By who? What happened?

Midge: I do not like to speak of it, he was cruel.

Smith: Abusive?

Midge: He owned me, he could do with me as he wished. But I did not... I did not like my time there.

Smith: Are you with him now?

Midge: No, he sold me.

Smith: Please explain how you were treated.

Midge: By my first master?

Smith: Yes.

Midge: I was used. He hurt me for fun. He kept me in a cage much smaller than this one. I was hungry, sad, alone. There was no comfort.

Note: Break for lunch. Patient seemed to have no concept of how inconceivable his experiences were and relayed them without emotion until he spoke of his first master. Then he showed physical signs of distress including sweating, shaking, rubbing his wrist and halted speech. He is very guarded and thinking carefully about each answer. I have no way of knowing how much of this is factual or if it may be psychosis, especially given his lengthy pauses. In a human who presented physically correctly I would mark him as highly psychotic immediately. However, with his physical mutations I am unwilling to form an opinion without more information and more extensive examination. Possible schizopsychotic disorders can not be ruled out.

Part 3 will follow on the next page.