Chapter 10 -- Loss

Scott finished chewing his third piece of pizza and leaned back, content. He had watched Midge pick off each piece of meat and eat them separately before going in on the slice. He was still finishing up his first piece. Scott had come to love how much the boy enjoyed his food, how he never took it for granted. He hated the reasoning behind it but loved watching his joy. "Okay, we'll do your clothes after you finish your pizza, but you have to finish that piece first."

"Thank you, I am so excited!" He tried to finish quickly, he had been bugging Scott since they got home to try on his new things and now it was finally time. It had been so hard to stop asking, but he'd tried to be patient. He put his plate and Scott's in the sink and then grabbed his kitten, arranging her carefully on the couch so she could watch. Next to that he placed his bags and started pulling things out, one at a time. He placed every piece around the couch so that he could see at least a little bit of each item. "What should I try first?"

"Maybe we should get the jeans out of the way and then we'll start cutting up the sweats and shorts."

"Okay." He unzipped his jeans and pushed them down, standing in just his hoodie. "Which pair first?"

"Um" He tried to look away, up, down, out the window, at his fingers, wherever, but he had a hard time not peeking. "We forgot underwear, huh?"

"Oh, I am sorry, does this count as naked? I am sorry. I know you do not like to look at me, I am so sorry. Please." He grabbed a pair of sweatpants and pulled them on hastily while backing away.

"It's not that Midge, it's just awkward."

"You do not like me, I understand. I did not mean to break the rules. I am so stupid."

"No. Midge, no." He stood then and walked over, pulling him into a hug and relaxing when the boy melded into him. "I do like you, and you're not stupid. I like you too much, okay?" He tried to pull back but Midge had his shirt fisted in his hands and was stuck to him like glue.

"Too much? I do not understand." He looked up at Scott, his eyes sparkling green, his expression confused but hopeful.

"There are lots of things you don't seem to be able to understand, but this is important. I won't be like them Midge, I won't. I'm your friend, and seeing you naked makes it really difficult to not hold you, and other things."

"But I like being held, I am so lonely. I do not mind if you use me if you hold me too. It is more than fair."

He couldn't explain to him how wrong his thinking was, how it stabbed like a dagger every time he thought that his only worth was what he could do to please others. "Step back so we can see how those fit, okay?"

He hesitated a moment but then let go, moving back towards his pile and doing a spin.

"Great, are they comfy? Let me grab a pen and we can mark where your tail is." He grabbed a marker and knelt behind Midge but suddenly got nervous. It seemed too intimate, even though Midge seemed fine with it. "I think you'll have to do it."

"But I can not see. I do not want it to be wrong."

"Fine, fuck it. Hold still a minute." He ran a finger along the top of the bulge, finding the top of his tail and drew a mark. "Okay, all good."

Over the next hour Midge tried on every single thing they had bought, in every single combination he could think of. He wouldn't rest until he'd tried on the pajama top with his jeans, each different pair of socks with different pants and shirts, and his hoodie with everything he now owned. Scott sat in the chair, cutting tail holes while Midge changed and grinning every time he spun. When they had finally finished the fashion show and their alterations, Scott helped him fold up everything they were keeping and emptied out space in the hall closet for him to store his things.

"I'm sorry we didn't make it to the movie, but we'll do it another night, okay?"

"Of course, thank you so much. I have had a wonderful day. The best day, really. You have been so nice." He grabbed his new kitten and curled up with her in the blankets Scott had spread over the couch.

"I can't believe how much she looks like you, it's adorable."

"She does not look like me, she looks like Marley. Can I call her Marley, even though she is not?"

"Who's Marley, Midge?"

"My sister. My twin sister, my favorite. We slept together every night, so maybe tonight I will not be so lonely."

Scott's face fell and he turned his head, not wanting to upset him. A stuffed animal was a poor substitute for family. "Goodnight Midge. Sleep well." He turned off the light and shuffled to his room, his heart simultaneously fuller than it had ever been, and breaking.