Chapter 73 -- Moving

Scott decided that he didn't want Midge anywhere near the old apartment.  He didn't need to see the mess and destruction, and he definitely didn't need to be anywhere Steven could find him.  Avi, Esther and Kelly had agreed to sit tight at the new place with Midge to help unpack and get things organized.  They were going to handle all the food and be there for the cable installers to hook things up and the delivery guys to bring Midge's bed and mattress as well.

        "I've got it Scott" Avi said again, trying to get him to finally let Midge out of his sight.  "I'm not going to let anything happen, alright?"

"I know.  I appreciate you hanging here.  I just feel safer leaving him if there are people around and you know most of it, so.... okay, I'll be back in awhile with the first truckload."

        Avi turned around just in time to see the girls and Midge disappear into what he thought was going to be Midge's bedroom.

"This is my room, he says." Midge told them, walking in and over to the corner.

        "This is NICE!!  The bed would be perfect there." Kelly said, pointing to the wall across from his closet.

"That seems like a good place."

        "Why the sad face Midge?" Kelly asked while Esther checked out the closet.

"I would rather be with him but it is fine.  It is what he wants."

        Avi peeked his head in the door.  "Do you need me to save you from the girls yet?" he asked, grinning.

"No.  I am fine.  Kelly says the bed should go there."

        "Will do.  They just finished unloading Scott and Zac's cars so if you want to come sort this stuff out, I can haul it to the right rooms."

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur.  There were boxes and bags and lots of people wandering back, forth and through the apartment.  Esther arranged lunch and 5 pizzas disappeared in shifts as people took a break whenever they dropped off a load.  Midge spent most of his time directing traffic.

        "Okay Avi, you and Midge need to hold down the fort while we ladies go and get you some groceries, alright?" Kelly asked, list and keys in hand.

        "No problem, we're good.  Scott told me they were going to start cleaning up over there now, there's not much more.  Besides, I want to get a chance to talk to Midge." Avi answered, practically pushing them out of the apartment.

        "We'll be back soon!" Esther called over her shoulder.

        "So, Midge.  Mind taking a break?  I've been wanting to ask you something."

"Sure.  I will try to help."  He curled on the couch which had been delivered only an hour ago.

        "If this isn't okay to ask, or if you're not allowed to tell me or something like that because it's secret, or magical or something, just let me know, alright?  I totally get that."

"Okay?" Midge said, curious.

        "I have SO many questions."

"About what?"

        "You.  And other beings.  Can I ask... I mean, do you KNOW, like for sure, if dragons exist?"

"Today?  Do you mean are they still alive?  I do not believe so  I think humans would have found them by now.  After all, you can find Scott's car on his phone as it drives.  That is so amazing."

        "But they TOTALLY did, right?!!???!!  When?? What were they like?"

"I have never seen one, Avi, I only know stories and fairytales but they are not the same as yours.  Who is to say who is right?"

        "But you're.... you're magical so you must know, I think."

"I am not magic, I am just a Neko.  You are silly."

        "What about gnomes and trolls and elves and fairies and all those other things?"

"I have never seen them.  I think you must read a lot of books."

        "But YOU'RE real!  And before now I only saw Nekos in Anime so what if it's all true?"  he asked, eyes wide.

"Perhaps you are right" he answered.  He didn't want to ruin Avi's fun; he knew how much dreams were worth.

        "Okay, okay, so where did YOU come from? Nekos I mean.  You must know that."

"Where did humans come from?  I know lots of stories.  We were kept by the Pharoahs of Egypt; that is as far back as my knowledge goes.  There are also stories of us being from the North, where it is very cold.  They say we split from humans around the time they settled in Canada many, many years ago.  But as to how we became part cat?  Some say it happened while we were still in Asia, and that is why they still revere cats in some of their cultures.  The truth is probably neither.  I am sorry I can not help."

        "Do you have any, like, powers or abilities?"

"I can hear well, and see better at night although I do not see well far away anymore.  I have a good sense of smell.  I am told I can sing.  But I can not do magic, if that is what you are asking."

        "Are you telling me that because you're not allowed to tell me anything?  That's it, isn't it?  Are you allowed to tell me if.... you probably can't.  I get it.  I get it."  He nodded his head, a knowing smile on his face.  "Of course you can't tell me the truth and that is absolutely cool.  I get it man."

"You are an odd person, but I like you Avi.  You are fun.  Scott is back."

        Avi turned to the door but didn't see him.  He turned back at Midge who just tilted his head towards the door.  Avi grinned, taken aback when Scott walked in a minute later with the vacuum cleaner.

"Heeeey, we're finished.  Finally."  He collapsed onto the couch next to Midge.  "Comfy."

"You smell."  Midge said, leaning away.

"No shit.  Sorry.  Even I can smell it, it must be awful to you.  I'll get a shower as soon as I can get up.  Any chance we have towels and soap in there?"

"Yes, it is all ready."

        "Alright guys, if you're settled I'll head out.  Thanks for everything Midge, it was nice getting to know you a little better."

"You as well Avi.  I..m sorry I did not have answers for you."

        "I get it, I get it.  No worries man.  See ya Scott!"

"Do I even want to know?" Scott asked.

"Probably not.  He is a little weird but very nice."

"My thoughts exactly.  You've got him pegged.  Although, sometimes I think HE'S the normal one and just seems weird to me because I'm strange.  I don't know."  Scott slowly stood, exaggerating his movements as he rose.  "God I'm beat.  I'm going to shower and then not move from this couch until it's time for bed."

"Kelly and Esther are bringing back the food; I will open the door for them and put the things away if that is alright."

"That would be amazing" he answered, shuffling away in the wrong direction for a moment before remembering where the bathroom was.

Midge grinned with happiness and then spun in a circle with his arms outstretched before going in search of Marley.