Chapter 53 -- Steven

Steven swore to himself as yet another cart of pots and dishes made it back to his washing station. There was no way he was ever going to get caught up by the time his shift ended at 9 which meant yet another write-up. He wouldn't care too much but he'd only been here a week and had been lucky to get anything after being let go from Marco's. It wasn't his fault though, it was all because that stupid damn cat had run away.

He'd had plans, big plans for that Midge. It had take a little while but he'd found a buyer who was willing to pay good money for the cat. More money than Steven had ever seen and more than enough to let him never wash another damn dish in his life. He'd held him off an extra week though, and he'd paid dearly. All the fun he'd had with the little pussy cat hadn't been worth the money he'd lost.

He'd looked EVERYWHERE for him. Day and night, for over a week. He'd lost his cushy job from missing so much time and it was all Midge's fault. He still couldn't believe he'd escaped, he could have sworn he had chained him the same way he always did, the door locked to the bedroom and the alarm on the front door. He had been so exhausted that day though, having enjoyed him several times that night that he must have missed something, somehow.

When yet another cart was pushed over he threw down his towel and stomped towards the back door, wishing he could keep walking instead of coming back after his well-deserved smoke break. One of the waiters was coming in as he left, so he held the door and looked out towards the fancy dining room. Spoiled fuckers, cook your own damn food.

He turned to leave but glanced back, something he had seen niggling at his conscience. And then, when the tall man tilted his head he saw him. MIDGE! Oh, this was perfect. He'd spent hours searching all over the city and instead, that cat had walked right into his restaurant. How lucky could he get? He ducked back inside the kitchen for a minute to come up with a plan.

At their table, Scott pushed his plate to the side, thoroughly stuffed and happy. "So, think you're going to want some dessert when you finally finish?"

"I am sorry I am so slow. You can have them take it if you like."

"No, no, I'll wait. You're not really slow, it's the three bathroom breaks that are cutting into your progress. Don't worry about it."

"I do not know why I have to use the bathroom so much, it is not like me."

"It's the coffee. How many cups DID you have anyway? Three?"

"Four, I think. I may have forgotten one but it is at least four I think."

Scott just leaned back in his chair and smiled. "That'll do it. I don't mind waiting, enjoy it. It was good."

"It is delicious." He stabbed another scallop with his fork, using it to mop up as much sauce as he could balance.

When the waiter came by for Scott's plate he asked for a dessert menu and spent a few minutes looking it over while Midge finished. "They have oreo cheesecake. Tell me you like cheesecake."

"A cake made of cheese? It sounds wonderful, but not something humans would eat. I'm happy to try it."

"It's not.... well it is cheese but it's not like cheddar." He ordered a piece for them to share.

"I am sorry, but may I use the restroom one more time while we wait for the cheesecake?"

"Of course."

Midge stood and made his way down the hallway. He went inside and into one of the stalls. When the door opened a moment later he didn't pay it any mind until he heard a voice he had hoped to never hear again.

"Hello there, Midge" Steven said, smirking as he leaned against the door. "Miss me?"