Chapter 55 -- Cheesecake

Scott sat down on the couch next to Midge and opened his arms, inviting him in. He was shocked when Midge didn't move, he couldn't remember him ever turning down a hug or a snuggle. "Honey?"

"Yes?" His eyes lifted to look at Scott but he didn't move. "Do you want me to come to you?"

"Only if you want to. But yeah, I do. Do you need some ice for your hand?"

"No, it will be fine." He unclenched it and looked and although it was swollen, he hadn't broken the skin. Then he scooted over and into Scott's arms. The familiar warmth overtook him. Scott's smell. Scott's arms weighted around his shoulders. Scott's heartbeat. These things were good, were safe, were right. He tried to think of his face to replace that of Steven's in his head.

"What do you need? What can I do?" Scott asked, worried. "Do you want to tell me what happened? Do you want to talk? I'm so sorry I didn't come for you earlier. I worried, I thought it was taking you too long but I didn't want to be too.... I don't know. I should have come sooner. I'm sorry, I know he probably scared you. Hell, he scared me. But you were amazing, I mean, you kicked his ass!"

"I do not want to talk. I want to forget. Can you help me forget?"

"Oh little one, I'm so sorry. What would you like to do? Hey, do you want to try the cheesecake?" he asked, hopeful.

"You are a strange man. Sure. I will try this cheesecake." He watched Scott walk into the kitchen and tried to focus. Scott didn't seem mad, of course he almost never did. "Scott?"

"Yes?" He walked over with the cheesecake on a plate and held two forks in his hand. "For you" he said, handing over a fork.

"I did things tonight I should not have done. I am sorry."

"You mean roundhouse kicking him in the face?" he asked, taking a bite. "Oh my GOD this is good!" He put another bite on his fork and held it out to Midge.

"No, I smacked him and bit his hand before he attacked you." At Scott's insistence he opened his mouth and licked the cheesecake off the fork. "Ooh it is.... creamy" he said, licking his lips and looking down at the plate. "May I have another taste?"

"Of course. Help yourself. You should have done anything and everything you needed to do to stay safe, Midge. Why shouldn't you have smacked him? I'm missing something here." He took another bite while he waited for the answer.

"I may only strike in defense."

"And how weren't you? He was fucking dragging you to his car."

"Defense of you, not me" he answered, still amazed that his human knew NONE of the rules.

"That's stupid. You'd better defend yourself; apparently I'm too stupid to realize when you need help. Whoever made up that rule was a bastard." He waved his fork in the air. "By the power invested in me by this fork, I now pronounce that you may protect yourself against any asshole who threatens you in any way, shape or form." He brought the fork down and broke off a bite of cheesecake, then shoved it in his mouth. "Good enough?"

Midge didn't know whether to laugh, cry, try to explain, or give up and eat another bite of cheesecake before Scott finished it all. "You are very good, Scott. And I understand your meaning, so I thank you." He watched Scott grab yet another bite and reached out and took the plate from him, eyes twinkling.

"Oh, so you like it, do you? All yours, enjoy. I can't believe you took it out of my hand."

"Oh my... shit I am so sorry!" He thrust it back towards Scott but he had put his hands up in the air and was shaking his head 'no'.

"I'm proud of you. That made me very happy. Now eat your dessert, okay?"

"If you are sure?" he asked, balancing the plate on his lap and taking another small bite.

Scott watched, amused. Midge put the fork in his mouth to eat the piece, but then put it back in to lick off the remaining bits that stuck. It was adorable.

"Is it okay if I get a shower now?" Midge asked, standing to put the plate in the kitchen.

"Random, but yes, of course."

"I can smell him and I do not want to. I will wash and try to forget."

"Want some help? I'm happy to help you shower and even more happy to distract you for awhile."

"It is about time you caught on to my request, I thought you did not want to have fun with me. Yes please." He stripped on the way to the bathroom and looked back over his shoulder, grinning to himself when he saw the look in Scott's eyes.