Chapter 42 -- Tattoo

The next morning they went out to breakfast and came back to have a lazy Saturday afternoon at the apartment.  "Hey Midge, I DVR'd The Voice, want to watch?" Scott asked, grabbing the remote.

"I would be happy to."  He curled onto the couch next to Scott and waited while he went through the menu screen.

"Have you seen it before?"

"I have not.  It is people singing?" He asked, watching the intro.

"Yep, a competition.  They have to be chosen and then they split into teams.  It's fun to hear them sing, some of them are really good.  Not as good as you are, obviously, but good."

They watched in content silence, Scott commenting about the contestants he had been watching the past few weeks and the ones he was rooting for until he noticed the drool practically dripping down Midge's chin every time Adam Levine was on the screen.  "He's hot as hell, is he your type?"

"Type?  I do not have one.  He is handsome, I agree, but I love his tattoos."

"Is that what you're staring at?  I find that hard to believe, but I'll roll with it."

"I love them" Midge said wistfully.

"Ever think about getting one? Or a whole sleeve?" he asked, surprised that Midge would want ink.  It didn't seem to go with what he knew of him and he was interested in this new peek into his personality.

"Not really.  I think they are beautiful but I may not have one.  Unless you desire it, of course."

"Why not?  They're not my thing but it's your body."

"It is not.  Why would you say that?"  Midge really didn't understand the things that came out of his Scott's mouth sometimes.  He looked down at his bracelet and smiled.

"Because it's true.  Ever notice how there are two bodies on the couch and two of us?  That's because I get one and you get one.  Works great that way."

"I can not alter my body, that must be your decision." Midge said, shaking his head at Scott's silliness.

Scott tensed up a bit and felt Midge shift, knew he had noticed.  "No, I would never... I don't know how to say it so I guess I'll use your words, alter your body.  Those choices are yours.  How you do your hair, whether you let this cute beard grow, if you want piercings or tattoos, the clothes you wear, that's all stuff you have to decide.  I have no say in any of it."

Midge knew his automatic response would be wrong, so he rolled the words around in his head awhile.  How do I explain this?  "I will most likely be worth less if I have a tattoo, so if it is your choice, it is also your loss.  I do not have the right to...  I do not know how to explain it."

"I don't care how much you're worth because you're never being sold again."  He pulled him closer, suddenly not nearly close enough.  "So what would you get?"

"Get?  Do you mean as a tattoo?"

"Yes."

"Whatever you wanted."

"No, try again.  What would you LIKE to get?"

"If it was my choice?  I do not know.  I think I would like a cat."

"Where would you put it?"

"On my arm, I think, so I could see it" Midge answered, extending his arm and rotating it as if looking for the perfect spot.

"Are you sure you would really like one?"

"Yes.  I have wanted one for a long time.  I would like many, truthfully, like him, Adam."

"If you're sure, we'll go get one" he said, planting a kiss on his head.

Midge turned and lifted up so he could see Scott's face.  "Are you joking with me?  You said you did not like them."

"I like YOU and I can deal with a cat.  A huge flaming skull on your face would require a hell of a discussion, I think, but I'm not going to get upset over a cat on your arm.  And we wouldn't discuss it because I control you, we'd discuss it because I don't know if I could stand to look at it all that much and I would hope you would take my feelings into account before you made the decision."

"But I should take your feelings into account now and you do not like tattoos."

"I said they weren't my thing, and I don't plan on getting any more, but I don't mind them on other people.  We should get online and you can look for what you want.  They'll have books and things, but there will be more online.  I'll call and ask Lia where she gets hers done.  She has a ton and they're gorgeous."

"I can not believe you will let me get one.  Are you sure you do not want to think about this more?"

"Don't need to think about it, you do.  It's going to be on your body" Scott answered, booting up the Ipad and handing it over once he'd googled 'cat tattoo'.  He pulled out his phone and called Lia, catching up and asking about her ink.  "Okay, she says to go to Allie and she'll text me the info.  Should I call and make you an appointment?"

"If you are sure, yes."

A few minutes later he was hanging up.  "She sounds awesome, and she'll fit you in tonight at 7.  You're all set, so now is the time to panic if you're going to."

"If it is alright, I will just be excited instead."