Chapter 89 -- Nanny

She put on her coat and headed out, glad for some fresh air. She'd missed her walk yesterday due to the storm and was later than usual today but a short walk was better than none at all. She hadn't been sure anyone would be home in time to relieve her, they'd been working more than usual the past two weeks, but she had been pleasantly surprised when her employer had blown in a few minutes ago and told her to head out.

She glanced at her watch and decided to do the short loop around the park. It could be a bit scary but seeing the trees was worth it. There were a lot of people out tonight, so it felt like a good risk.

She was grateful that these past two years she'd been allowed to come out alone, that she was trusted. She'd done her job well, and was proud that she was rewarded with this freedom. But there were times when instead of filling her heart and making it lighter, seeing others made her wish for things she didn't have. Ungratefulness was not a comfortable emotion for her and did not sit well, so she soon left it behind.

She had three wonderful children to look after and she had grown to love them very much. The first year had been hardest; the worst was the transition, leaving her family and getting used to caring for another. When Jacob was born six months later her hands were more than full with all three children home and under her care. Claire had started school this year though so there was only Jacob who didn't go to school during the day now. It would be very quiet around the house next fall when he went to Kindergarten as well.

Her gaze landed on a homeless girl throwing away trash into the can with a huge smile on her face. The smell of McDonalds hit her just before a scent she had not smelled in many, many years. She took a few steps forward, unsure and nervous but pushed by her curiosity.

Could it be? The girls' hair was the longest she'd ever seen, even longer than her sisters'. She was smiling, content in the midst of her filth and that smell, it was..... she took another step before the girl saw her and shot her a nasty look. "Hello?" she asked meekly.

"What do you want?"

"You... are you?" Words failed her, she could not come out and ask, she had to hope the girl would smell her as well and understand the connection. There was no hint on her face either way, just a well-practiced poker face.

"You look like just like the parade boy. Did he send you?"

"I do not know a parade boy." She took a few steps closer and realized the scent wasn't getting stronger. "I made a mistake, I am sorry. I will be on my way."

"Whatever floats your boat. Weird day" she mumbled, heading back towards her gear stashed at the bottom of her tree.

She quickly made her way back to the apartment, rapping on the door quickly twice before putting in her code and entering. She hung her jacket up and listened, the sound of a bedtime story being read by Mister Brian upstairs answering her question.

She walked into the kitchen, surprised to see her employer snacking on the leftover chicken. "May I make my plate now?"

"Absolutely, and thank you for dinner, it was wonderful as always."

"Thank you Miss Lydia. I will clean up and go to my room for the night if you require nothing else?"

"That's fine. Ricky seems a bit congested, you will keep an eye on him tonight?"

"Certainly. Would you like me to sleep in his room?"

"I don't think he's that bad -- just keep one of your famous ears open. I'll see you in the morning."

She washed the dishes and then wiped down the dining room. She picked up toys on her way through the living room and up the stairs, always amazed at the mess one family could make. Tomorrow she would clean their bedrooms after she got the baking out of the way. Hopefully Ricky would not be sick and would be able to go to school.

She found herself humming softly to herself, startled when she recognized the song. It was a lullaby her mother had once sang to her and her brother, but she had not heard that song in at least ten years, probably more. She couldn't remember the words but the tune was still there and she smiled all the way to her room.