Chapter 34 -- Drive

Scott liked waking up with Midge still in bed with him although it didn't happen very often. He glanced at the clock and closed his eyes again, glad he still had 20 minutes before he had to get up. He planned on letting Midge sleep every one of those minutes but that didn't happen.

"Good morning" Midge said, stretching and rubbing at his eyes. "I will go make coffee. I am sorry I slept so late."

Scott tightened his hold. "Please don't go yet. There's no rush. Besides, that's what Starbucks is for, we'll stop on our way to Zac's"

"If you are sure, I would be happy to stay. I would be happy to have fun, too. May I?" He slid his hand down Scott's chest and teased him.

Scott didn't need any encouragement, he had just woken up and was more than ready to go. He said a silent thank you to the gods for waking up early. "Be my guest."

Two hours later they had picked Zac up and hit the road, Starbucks and breakfast in hand. They'd decided that Scott would drive the first half and Zac the second, since he knew his way around Phoenix. He'd tried to climb in the back but Midge wouldn't hear of it. Scott had almost put his foot down but had given in when Midge said he would like to lay down and nap.

"Zac, may I ask a question?"

"Of course Midge, what can I do for you?"

"I was wondering how you knew of Misty, and how much you know about her. Is there anything you can tell me?"

"Oh yeah, sure. To be honest, I don't know a ton but I'm happy to tell you what I do. Want me to start anywhere in particular?"

"It does not matter, I will be happy with anything you share."

"She moved in after my aunt died."

"That's a nice way of putting it" Scott quipped from the driver seat. "Sorry, I'll shut up now."

"Yeah, sorry if I say anything that offends you Midge, this whole thing is kind of complicated."

"I understand Zac, it will not bother me. Please, tell me more."

"So when she first came, Sebastian told us she was an exchange student. My aunt had been a teacher, so it made sense. After awhile I remember hearing that he had hired her as his personal assistant because she wanted to stay in the country. She always lived with him though, and I remember my parents discussing it.

"My family and I visited a few times and she was always polite, seemed sweet. She's absolutely beautiful. I always noticed her hair, it's amazing and has that gorgeous streak you mentioned, although it's not always white. Once it was purple, sometimes red. Anyway, I didn't really know her well. She mostly stayed away while we visited. I mean, she was there but she didn't hang out with us in the living room after dinner or anything.

"They hosted Thanksgiving one year while I was in college. I didn't want to go, I remember that. I had a boyfriend and he lived in Cali and I wanted to stay. I ended up going because I didn't really have a choice, but I was grumpy and honestly, a total bitch. After dinner I went out in the yard to take a walk and she was there, sitting on a bench.

"The weather was crap, it was actually fairly cold and it was windy as hell. We were sitting there talking when her hood blew down and I saw her ear. She tried to play it off, said her hair was a mess, hid it, you know. I ignored it, honestly because what do you say to someone who seems to have a cat ear?"

"I am sure she was worried, it was kind of you to not scare her" Midge said kindly.

"She was cold and we went inside, but I went with her into the library---"

"He has a library? Of his own?" Midge asked.

"Yeah, he's a lawyer and has a ton of books. It's a home office too, I guess, I know he works from there sometimes."

"I am sorry I interrupted, please tell me the story."

"No problem. So we went in because I didn't want to spend time with my family and she was too polite to tell me no. Hours passed while we played chess and talked. She was really easy to talk to and I had fun. Anyway, Sebastian came in later, I don't know if he was looking for her, or me, or something else entirely but he wasn't all that happy about me being in a closed room with her alone, that was obvious.

"I remember him asking me if I was 'completely gay' or if he should be worried about me. I joked it off, said he had nothing to worry about and that's when shit got a little weird. Are you sure you want to know everything? Maybe we should stop there. Scott?"

"If it's bad...... I don't know Zac, it's up to him."

Midge looked out the window. "I think you think I do not know what happens. How things are. I know much more than either of you, about this. I would like to know the rest please."

"You're right, I'm sorry. But Scott you've got to swear to not kill me, I didn't do anything. Okay?"

"Yeah, I'm cool. Go ahead."

"Alright, this was a couple years ago so I don't remember exactly but he said something about being able to fix that. Me being completely gay, I mean. He said she could cure a man of just about anything, and he was happy to share as long as he got to watch. I told him 'no', I swear. I was completely freaked out, I mean this is my uncle. I've known him since I was tiny, you know? He swore me to secrecy and then told me about her.  Being a Neko I mean.

"I saw her again the next morning. I couldn't sleep and she was up early, working on breakfast and to-go boxes of leftovers for everyone. We talked and she told me about being a Neko, answered some of my questions. She made me promise not to tell and I haven't, until now. I'm sorry Midge."

"It is alright, I thank you for telling me. May I ask how you knew about me?"

"You just reminded me of her. You look like her, and you talk like her. And you seemed so lost at the bar, so overwhelmed. I don't know, really. It just popped into my head and once it was there, I couldn't shake it."

"Thank you for telling me all of this. Is it okay if I take a nap now, Scott? I did not sleep well."

"Of course. I'll wake you up when we stop and stretch." Scott ran over Zac's story, more than a little worried about what was going to happen when they arrived. He was really glad now that he had done everything in his power to keep Midge safe and make him feel secure but couldn't help but feel like he was way out of his league here. When they stopped at the rest area he typed Zac a quick text to make sure Midge didn't hear him.

Scawt: Whatever happens, promise me you'll help me take care of Midge.

Zaclor Swift: Absolutely.