Chapter 60 -- Zoo

Midge was in overload. He'd seen a lot of the animals before on television but actually staring them in the face was a totally different experience. He held onto Scott's hand so tightly he'd been chastized twice when Scott had pulled his hand away and pretended it was broken. He was pretty sure Scott was mostly joking though since he'd wrapped his arm around Midges shoulder after the second warning.

Scott practically dragged Midge to the Rainforest of the Americas. As they wound their way through the paths, he couldn't help but notice how interested some of the animals were in Midge. He was used to a lot of them being almost impossible to find, or sleeping. Today, many of them walked right up to the edges of the enclosures. It took him a few minutes to figure out why, but once he did it tickled him. It also made the day of the families walking near them. "Okay Midge, let's get some dinner while we wait for it to finish getting dark."

"Are there going to be fireworks?" he asked, looking around the sky.

"Nope, but it'll be pretty and bright and I think you'll get a kick out of it." He let his arm drop and took his hand instead, leading him towards one of the main food courts. "Maybe I should have someone keep an eye on you, or maybe you could stay with someone" he mumbled, weaving his way through the crowd.

"What?" He pulled his hand back, then threw it over his mouth. "I am so sorry. I should not have said that. I just...Why? Because I held your hand too hard? I did not...."

Scott took the few steps necessary to close the gap and put one arm on Midge's shoulder. "What is it? Wait? What I said? I was just thinking... it's nothing." The look on Midge's face was anything but reassuring but he wasn't sure at first what was wrong. A moment later it hit him. "I mean while I'm at the shows on Thanksgiving. Not forever. Is that what you thought? I'm just worried about you being alone."

"Oh." A blush crept up his cheeks as he raised his head. "I misunderstood. I am sorry."

"Let's get some dinner, and we'll talk about it, okay?"

"Of course." He followed along with Scott, guilty for making him worry. "I am sorry I am so much trouble."

"You're not." He squeezed his hand gently then glanced over out of the corners of his eyes. "See, no damage done." Once they went through the line to get their giant hamburgers they found a small table tucked to the side and sat down. "I'm worried about that Steven fucker. Besides, you shouldn't be alone on Thanksgiving. I wish you could come but we have to fly. I wish you could see New York. How are we going to get you some identification?"

"I know of a guy, but I do not need it. Papers are expensive and I am owned." He took a big bite of his burger as if he hadn't just spit out the answers Scott had been looking for.

"Wait, a guy? You can get a license and birth certificate and shit?"

"Of course, but I am not free."

"YES you ARE! How? How do we do it?" he asked, his words tumbling out.

Midge looked up, his eyes wide. "I did not realize it was important. But there is a man, a politician in Texas, who gives papers for a fee. My mother has them."

"And that's why she's free? Because she's legal? Ohhhhhhh" he sighed. "So we just buy you papers and then no one can buy or sell you?"

"That is mostly true, it is much harder. With papers come friends who will protect you, try to help."

"So we can go home at Christmas and make you a real person? That's amazing."

"I will still be Neko, Scott. But I will have a card and papers."

"That's all you need!" He jumped up and pulled Midge into his arms. "Why didn't you tell me this in the first damn place?"

"I did not know..... it is not often done. I did not mean to withhold information. But Scott, I can not breathe."

He finally released his hold a bit and grinned as Midge sat back down and ate his burger as if nothing was going on. "This is SO amazing!"

"Yes, it is a good burger."

Scott tilted his head back and rolled his eyes. "You'll never let me lose sight of what's important, will you? Nevermind, don't answer that." He slid into his seat and stuck a cold french fry in his mouth. "It's dark enough, we can head over the entrance and see the lights whenever you're ready."

"I am very ready."

"Remember you said that when I show you the 20 foot giraffe. And Midge, no matter what, no climbing. Okay?"

"Okay. But Scott, it would be fun."

"No fun for you until we get home, Mister. We still need to figure out what to do with you on Thanksgiving."