Chapter 46 -- Search

Scott hung up the phone and ran down the stairs.  Once he was on the street, he looked left and then right before calling Midge's name three times.  He took the time to slip on the shoes he'd grabbed and went to check his car.  On the way, he thought about calling everyone who knew Midge to look, but he didn't want them to panic.  Midge couldn't be far, he just had to find him.

There was no sign of Midge in the parking lot and he had to admit to himself that he'd really been hoping he would be curled up in the backseat.  Scott didn't understand, Midge had never left before and nothing had happened!  What had happened?  Why would he take off his bracelet and leave it?  It made no sense.

Midge had stayed with assholes who used and abused him, he'd stayed with a dying man who gave him nothing in return, but he'd left him.  HIM!  How could he give himself to me last night and leave me today?  Is that why he did it?  Was he planning it all along?  How much was true?  How could he leave me?

He took one last look around the parking lot and made his way towards the apartment via the alley he'd first found Midge in.  He stopped shouting, realizing that Midge would be able to hear him, and he'd have a better chance of finding him if no one called the cops.  The problem was, he didn't think Midge would answer.

He glanced at the apartment building and up the street and turned left.  He had NO idea where Midge would go.  He didn't have any money so he didn't need to check the restaurants.  He went 4 blocks before he turned up and went one block over, then made his way back home.

He walked into the apartment building and went up the stairs but Midge wasn't there, so he went back down and turned right this time, looking everywhere he could think.  He went down alleys and looked behind trash cans.  There was no sign of him.  Scott decided he needed help and called Zac, hoping he was home from Phoenix by now.  "Hey, are you home?" he asked.

        "Yep, got in an hour ago.  How's Midge?"

"Gone.  He slipped out of the apartment earlier and I can't find him.  I need help Zac, please."

        "I'll be right there."

"Thank you so much.  Check the apartment stairs and then head out.  I made a right, I'm almost at Prescott street and then I'm going to loop back and check the parking lot again."

        "Alright, I'll check in after I get there and look around."

Two hours later Scott was exhausted.  He and Zac sat in Starbucks, checking in with each other and trying to get a bit of energy back while they strategized.  "Thanks for trying Zac."

        "I'll keep looking, I don't mind.  I just don't know.... I feel like we've looked everywhere.

"I know, and it's going to be dark soon."

****  ****  ****  ****

Midge closed the door behind him and slinked down the stairs.  He didn't have a destination in mind and he didn't have a plan either.  He just had to go, somewhere, anywhere, so that Scott could be happy.  He could not repay his kindness if he could not bring him joy.  At least this time he had a little bit of food and clothes that fit, with comfortable shoes.

He made his way to the park he could see from the living room window.  Once there he found a good tree and climbed up, hiding in the branches.  He wished he had known of this park when he left Steven, it was much nicer than the alley.

He knew he should plan and try to figure things out but all he could think about was what he had done wrong.  He thought giving himself to Scott would be a good thing and would make his master happy.  But it was obvious that he had made Scott angry, or disappointed him.  He did not want him to share his bed any more, but why?

Midge was listening to a feedback loop of blame in his head and he couldn't break out of it.  It didn't really matter though, exactly what he had done wrong. It must have had been so, so bad for my Scott to not want me anymore.  And Scott had still been kind to him this morning, even though he didn't want him around.  He'd had to leave, he couldn't make his master unhappy.

The realization hit him like a ton of bricks.  He jumped so much he nearly fell out of the tree, only his quick reflexes saved him. I left my master!  Oh no, I can not.  What did I do?  I can not leave my master!

He jumped back down and ran the two blocks home, quickly climbing the stairs and trying the door.  It was locked though, so he knocked.  A moment later he tried again, louder this time but Scott didn't open the door.  I do not blame him, this is not done.  What have I done?

He went back outside and to the parking lot where he knew there would be mirrors and fixed his ears.  That taken care of, he went to the small coffee shop behind the lot and asked for a pen, scrawling a note on a napkin, hoping Scott would be able to read it.  He went to the door and knocked once more, then put the note under when it didn't open.

I am so sorrie.  I want to com home if you let me.  pleese let me in. 
Midge

He went back to the coffee shop to wait and wrote another note just in case Scott still would not open the door.  At the apartment he knocked but was not surprised when Scott didn't answer.  He stuck this note under the door as well, then went back to his tree to wait.

pleese forgiv me I am sorrie masture.  I promiss to be good.
Midge