Chapter 105 -- Flight

The excitement of getting out of the cage was starting to fade but Midge didn't have much time to think about everything that was happening once they dropped off the car and made their way into the airport.

"Hold onto my elbow and don't let go. Do not say anything to anyone, do you understand?" Guy asked.

"Yes Sir." He wrapped one slim hand around Guy's arm and followed him towards the security line. He didn't want to go, he didn't want to be near anyone with a uniform but he had no choice but to hope Guy would keep him safe so he simply zoned out as was expected and did as he was told.

"Exempted under 19-201... Bypass required... Yes" and then Guy found himself signing yet another piece of paper. What is the point of having technology if the government still requires all these stupid pieces of flutter? A moment later he was buckling Midge into the window seat and sending nasty looks to anyone who even thought about sitting next to him. He didn't really have a LOT of experience with males, they seemed to be the first ones to be, well, disposed of. This was only the second he'd come across. Fuck that Williams and the mess he left me! "We'll be in Texas in a few hours. Just sit tight and we'll handle things once we get there. You can talk but just to me and do it softly -- no big questions until later, alright?"

"Yes Sir" he whispered. He was doing it, he was leaving. I promised him I would not leave but it is not my choice. He will understand. He will come to Texas for Christmas and I will see him. He will forgive me and take me home. It sounded nice, but even he didn't believe it.

The engines roared to life and he saw Midge flinch. "Oh yeah, it gets really loud. Sorry. Hold on."  Guy rummaged through his bag and grabbed a pair of ear plugs. "Here ya go. I never leave home without earplugs and a hat. They come in handy."

"Thank you." Midge stared out the window, grabbing the armrests when the plane started to back up from the gate. He watched the safety briefing with awe, doing his best to actually follow along in the brochure. "I do not swim, I do not like the water" he said as she explained the floatation devices.

"We're not going to be over any water, don't worry about that. Planes are very safe." Every single one of them hates the water. Every. Single. One. At least this one was talking. The last boy he'd rescued had shivered and practically cried the whole way back. Of course, he'd had reason to. He pulled out the copies of Midge's psych eval and physical to read during the flight, wanting to know what he was up against with this one. He skimmed it over quickly before take-off. Yes, Mark Lehman, jackass. He'd known of him, had followed Midge's trail on to Jose Vasquez. After that, he'd fallen off the radar. He'd contacted Jose to get him to bring Midge in for registration but Jose had sworn he'd run away. Guy figured he'd have to find out later, although Lord knows the damn Nekos didn't like to talk. Knowing Jose, Guy didn't exactly blame him even though it made his job a lot harder. "How you doing over there?"

"I am fine. These are.... clouds?" he asked, looking out the window.

"Yep." Smart, this one. "We're pretty high up now. How do you like it?"

"I do not like it... I am sorry. I did not mean to be rude. I am thankful for your help."

"I don't like flying either, honestly, but I like driving 26 hours a hell of a lot less. So, here we are, riding a sardine can through the sky. Nevermind, you don't get that, I'm sure."

"It is amazing, even though I do not like the feeling. To go so far so quickly is wonderful. Scott flies for work a lot, he went to New York City for Thanksgiving and to Chicago last weekend. He said he will take me once we get my papers."

"You think so, huh?" Yeah right, a master letting his Neko run around the country on a plane? Of course he never thought he'd see the day when grown women carried dogs in their purses, either.

"I do. He does not say things he does not mean. I miss him" he said sadly

"I know." In their warped, brainwashed minds they actually do. Doesn't make it any easier to send them back though. "So, I'm going to take you to my house and get you settled for the night. I'll send the Missus shopping, we're not really stocked for a male. Sunday we'll talk, get things planned out and situated, and then Monday you'll come into the office with me and we'll get the ball rolling. I know you're curious, but that's going to have to tide you over until tomorrow."

"I will stay at your house?" he asked as the stewardess pushed her cart next to their aisle. "This will be my third night from home."

"For the time being, yeah. We'll sort all that out soon enough. Hey, you want some peanuts?"

"Yes please... and do they have---?"

"Milk, yeah, one milk please" he asked the stewardess. "And a Coke with two bottles of JD, for me."