Chapter 31 -- Collared

***** I'm so nervous about posting this, I want it to be great, and right, and .... Aaaargh. I may come back and add or change later, but I know you've all been anxiously waiting. So, without further ado.....

Scott slipped on his newly cat-eared hoodie as he walked upstairs and unlocked the door. This apartment had never felt so much like home. "Hey Sweetie" he said as Midge slinked up to him. He leaned down and kissed him on the cheek, then pulled Midge close. "Can we go in the living room?"

"Of course, would you like me to take your shoes or your jaaa... you have ears!"

"I do, do you like them?"

"It is......" His smile was so wide he couldn't talk. "You are cute" he giggled.

"Hold this while I take off my shoes but no peeking. Promise?"

"No peeking." He held the bag down at his side and watched Scott take off his shoes, then followed him towards the couch. When he held his hand out, Midge handed him the bag and sat down. "How was your day?"

"Busy, but excellent. How was yours?"

"Fine. I spent a lot of time reading. I am very slow, it takes a long time."

"That's because you're learning. You're doing amazing, really. I admire your determination more than I can say. We'll get you some more books whenever you're finished with those."

"Thank you, that would be... helpful, and kind."

Scott wiped his hands on his jeans, they were suddenly rather clammy, and then took one of Midge's hands in his. "We should talk. About us."

Midge nodded, but stayed silent. This was it. He didn't think Scott would ask him to leave, at least he hoped not, but he knew that he had a lot of problems with the arrangement Midge needed. He hated talks and hoped Scott would let him know what was going on quickly.

"I ... I want you in my life, Midge. I want you with me. And if we need a symbol to make that happen, that's what we'll do. But this isn't going to be one-way. A relationship takes two, and that's what this is. It's not you following me, it's us together, heading wherever the hell this is going."

"Are you saying you will?" he asked, amazed at his forcefulness.

"I will if you will." He pulled the box containing Midge's bracelet out of the bag. "I don't know if I'm supposed to say something specific, or if there are certain things you need to hear. All I can do is tell you how I feel and I can barely do that because I've never felt like this before. I want to take care of you, and help you learn to take care of yourself, if you'll let me. But it's your choice. You have to want this, Midge, you're free to choose. What do you want?"

"I would be honored. I will do my best, always, to bring you joy." He watched as Scott opened the box, the stones glittering in the light. "Oh" he gasped. "Oh" He panted quickly several times, then ran a finger out along the edge of the panther's head. "It.....It is perfect. I can not believe you .... you found this. It looks like me."

Scott took it out of the box and undid the clasp, holding the inside towards Midge. "Can you read the engraving?"

"It says.... Midge....Hoying. My name and your last name."

"No, your name. I know you told me that Neko's don't have last names, but my partner should and I would be honored if you'd use mine. I hope it is enough to show you belong with me."

"I..." Tears started flowing down his cheeks as he held out his arm towards Scott, and his collar. He shook, but not out of fear.

Scott closed the clasp, a perfect fit around Midge's slim wrist.

"Thank you... Scott."

"You're so welcome little one. Now, my turn."

"Your turn?"

He pulled the second, slimmer box out of the bag and handed it to Midge. "You accepted my bracelet, and in doing so you made a lot of promises to me. But I have promises to make too, Midge and this will be a reminder of them."

He slowly opened the lid a bit, peeking inside, then closed it. "This is... not normally done."

"I didn't think so, but we are not normal either. I want to be yours, too. Please." He held his arm outstretched, waiting.

Midge gently took out the bracelet, then looked up at Scott. "Are you sure?"

"I would be honored and will do my best to bring you joy" he answered, doing his best to repeat Midge's answer. Scott watched Midge's lean fingers tremble as he slid the cord over his hand and then tightened it around his wrist. "Thank you."

He put the boxes back in the bag and placed it on the coffee table, then crawled into Scott's lap. Midge nuzzled his neck, placing tiny kisses there before curling further down into his chest and wetting his shirt with his tears.

Scott leaned back, pulling him along until they were both laying down, Midge resting on his chest. He rubbed circles on his back until he calmed down.

"Thank you for the comfort, but I am not sad."

"I know and I'm glad. I enjoy comforting you though."

"Scott?"

"Yes?"

"I love your hoodie. It was very nice of you to go to so much trouble. You made us the same."

"We may be different, but we're equal, Midge. And you have to admit, I look good with ears."

"Yes, yes you do."

"Do you like it?" He held Midge's hand, turning his wrist left and right to see how the bracelet looked.

"My bracelet?"

"Yes. Is it okay?"

"It is the most amazing, beautiful thing I have ever seen and the fact that it is for me is... impossible to describe. But I love it because it is from you."

"You would have been happy with a rubber band around your wrist, wouldn't you?"

"Yes, because the joy is not in the thing."

"No, no it's not. And that, Midgey, is one of the reasons I love you so much."

"But Scott?"

"Yes?"

"This is much more sparkly than a rubber band."

*** For those of you who like smut, there is a chapter 31 and a half. It's in the Excerpts book, so look for it under my works.

Now, for those of you who DON'T like smut, no worries. There is absolutely no real story in it. It doesn't affect the story at all, so you are absolutely NOT missing anything. Okay? Okay.