Chapter 30 -- Bracelets

Scott woke up that morning with a plan. It was so obvious, and so simple, and he didn't know why he hadn't thought of it before. He needed a few things though, and that meant leaving Midge alone again which he hated to do. Speaking of which, where was he?

Scott wandered into the living room to find him snuggled in a blanket on the couch, his fingers tracing the words in his book, his mouth sounding out the words silently. "Good morning" he said, smiling up at Scott.

"Good morning Midgey. Need any help?"

"Yes, there is a word back here..." he flipped back two pages and held the book up, pointing. "It sounds like too many things, I'm not sure which is right."

"Bear" he said "like the animal. Bare like you are right now is B-A-R-E. Did you sleep okay?"

"Very well, thank you. Yes, bear makes sense. I will start again later. Would you like breakfast?"

"You sit and read, I'll make it."

"But NO!" he said hopping up, then stopped. "Unless you want to?"

"I do. Sit, please. I've got this. Won't be as good as your pancakes but I can handle eggs and toast."

"Alright, if you are sure."

"I am. It's definitely my turn. I need to do a few things before rehearsal. Will you be okay on your own for awhile today? Is there anything I can do, or that you need? I could take you somewhere, if you'd rather go to the mall or something, while I run my errands and then bring you back before rehearsal. Whatever you'd like."

"You said it" he answered, giggling.

"I said?" he asked, after putting the bread away.

"You said 'Whatever you like'. It amused me, it is nothing. I am happy to stay here the whole time, I prefer to not be out without you."

He sat the plates on the counter and grinned as Midge wrapped himself up in the blanket and waddled over. Scott poured him a glass of milk and grabbed a cup of coffee, then sat down beside him. "Are you excited about Thursday?" he asked, in between bites.

"Yes. Excited and nervous and happy all at once. I want to thank you, again. This is very kind of you."

"You're welcome. I'm happy to do it. I'm going to grab the quickest shower ever and get out of here. Do you mind doing the dishes?"

"Of course not Scott, I will clean up." Scott was out the door by the time he'd finished his eggs and he cleaned up the kitchen before going back to his reading.

Scott drove over to Sara's house, two hoodies in hand. He'd sent her a quick text when he got in the car and she didn't even bat an eye, she was more than used to Scott needing weird sewing jobs and odd fixes. "Hey" he said when she opened the door and let him in. "Where are the boys?"

"Off to school already. It's not exactly early for most of us, dear. Now, you want cat ears?"

"Yeah, on either one, it doesn't matter. One's lined and one's not, I wasn't sure which would be easier."

"How big? Want them to blend in or stand out?"

"Um" He imagined Midge's ears and held his fingers out about 3 inches apart. "This big and either flesh toned, well, my flesh toned, so white" he joked "or the color of the hoodie is fine too. Whatever you have."

"And you'll text me later when you're on the way to pick them up? No problem."

"Thank you! Seriously, this is super important, you have NO idea. You are literally a life saver today." He kissed her quickly on the cheek and was out, on his way yet again to Cartier.

He grabbed the bag with Midge's bracelet and went inside, looking for an associate.

"Hello, I'm Lindsey. Can I help you?"

"Yes, I bought this yesterday and I'd like to have it engraved. I also need one more, but different. Something simpler without the panther theme, but I'd like it to coordinate a bit. Not easy, I know."

"Actually, I may have just the thing. How simple are you thinking?"

"As basic as possible. I'm not a huge jewelry guy."

"Okay, let's get this sent to the backroom and I can show you a few things while it's being done. What would you like it to say?"

This was the hard part, and Scott still wasn't quite sure he was choosing the right thing, but he refused to put 'property of' or 'owned by' or any such nonsense. "Midge Hoying please."

"No problem, just write it down very clearly here and I'll take it back." She disappeared behind the door a moment and then returned, leading Scott towards a display in the middle. "Now if this isn't right, just let me know. I'm sure we can find something." She lifted out a soft silk cord bracelet with two interlocking rings made of black and white gold. It matched, without matching. It was perfect, Midge and he coming to meet in the middle. "I'll take it. It's perfect Lindsey, thank you."

"You're so welcome. Let me wrap this up and we can have you step over to the register. Afterwards I'll check on your Panthere engravement."

He made it through rehearsal although his head was so spaced out that Kelly started tossing things at him halfway through and everyone gave up on him a full 20 minutes before their normal ending time. "See you all Monday" he called, heading out and back over to Sara's. Finally, bracelets and hoodie in hand, he parked the car and headed up. He was ready now and wanted nothing more than to see his boy.