Chapter 3 -- Reveal

Scott loaded the dishwasher, trying to get his brain to shut up.  This was the weirdest night he'd had in a very long time, hell, maybe ever, and it was all because of that little 'Midge' on his couch.  He glanced over to see him wrapping up in the blankets and laying down.  He had a beautiful smile, he had to admit.  When he heard a knock at the door he peeked through the hole and opened it gladly.  "Kelly!"

        "Hey sweetie, Olaf and I are out for a walk now that the rain is finally down to just a drizzle.  Mind if we come in and warm up before the trek home?"

"Of course not!"  He leaned down and scratched the puppy behind his ears, them moved back to let them in.  "I have a guest, his name is Midge.  Midge, this is....." he turned and stopped mid sentence because the couch was empty.  The pillow and one of the blankets remained, but there was no sign of him.  "I guess he's in the bathroom or something.  While I can, um, he's a little weird" he whispered. "If I end up dead tomorrow, his name is Midge.  I want you to meet him just in case I get robbed or drugged or something."

        "What!!??? Why is this guy in your apartment if you're worried?" she asked, obviously concerned.

"I'm not really *that* worried, and he needed a place.  I don't know, it's a weird situation."

        "Scott, this does not sound good."

"Just give him a minute, and you can meet him.  I'm pretty sure he's harmless, he's just odd."

"I am not coming out there!" came the small shout from the bathroom.

        "How did he HEAR us?" Kelly asked.  "You really need to move if your walls are that thin."

"Why not?  I want you to meet a friend of mine" Scott shouted back.

"You do not have to yell" Midge replied.  "I do not like dogs.  Nope.  Never coming out.  Hate them.  Sorry."

"He's just a puppy Midge, and he's friendly, I promise" Scott said, walking towards the bathroom door.

"No, no, please do not make me.  Please?!"

"Okay, okay, no problem.  Just give us another minute."

"I will wait, I do not mind" Midge said, the relief in his voice obvious.

        "Okay Scott, I guess Olaf and I will go.  But, you need to call me later and first thing in the morning, okay?  Get a picture of him and send it to me, too.  Alright?"

"That's a good idea, I will."  He walked with her back to the door and gave Olaf one last pat.  "Be careful."  He closed the door behind him and turned to find Midge resettled on the couch.

"Sorry if I made a problem for you.  Do you want me to go?"

"Nope.  Just move over unless you want me sitting on you."  He stole a bit of Midge's blanket and settled in.

"You are really nice.  Your couch is soft and the food was great.  Thank you."

"You're welcome Midge."  He turned his head when he felt the blanket being tugged lightly.  "Do you need anything else?  Is there something I can do?"

"I am really tired, so I guess I would like to pay you now, if that is okay?"  He rolled forward onto his arms and rested his hands on Scott's thigh.  Perhaps, he thought, he could get away with a small payment for the night, since he was offering.  This was by far his favorite way of earning favors.  He reached for his zipper but yanked back when Scott gripped his wrist.

"What are you doing Midge?  You don't... you don't owe me anything for the dinner, okay?"

"But.... the food and your soft couch.  I was so cold.  I want to thank you, it is only right."

"You DID thank me.  Several times as a matter of fact.  Are you a prostitute?  Did you run away from your pimp or something?"  He gripped Midge's shoulders gently to hold him away, silently begging him to make eye contact.  It made more than a little sense, although it didn't answer all his questions.

"I..... not really.  I mean, not...... I am sorry."

"Talk to me, please?  You're safe here, I promise.  Just talk to me."

Midge went through the mental gymnastics he always did when put in this position.  He so rarely got the chance to actually 'tell' someone that he wasn't very good at it, and didn't know if he should.  It almost always ended badly, but something made him trust Scott.  He smelled good, his energy was good, he was kind, but could he be trusted? "I am a Neko" he whispered.

"A Neko?  What's a neko?"

"I...... I am not human."

"Oh" Scott rolled his eyes and tried not to laugh.  "Okay.  Are you an alien, or...?"

"No, just a Neko."

"Which is... what, exactly?"

"I am part cat."

"Part cat.  Sure.  Okay.  I've heard weirder, although it usually involves several rounds of shots or drugs.  That explains not liking Olaf then.  So, do you need a litterbox?" he joked.

"No, of course not."

"Of course not." Scott mocked.  "Sorry, but dude, you are WEIRD.  It's all good though, but I think I'll go to bed now."  He stood up and rearranged the blanket over Midge.  "Sleep well."  He took out his phone and pointed it at Midge.  "Smile."

"Tell Kelly hi, and sorry about her dog."

"How did you know it was for Kit?  Oh, you and your crazy hearing.  That's a cat thing too, huh?"

"Yes" he sighed.  This had never happened before.  He could prove it, obviously, but somehow it felt better that Scott didn't believe him.  Maybe, maybe, this was better.  It was only one night, and it seemed that he was safe for the time being.  "Goodnight Scott."

"Night"  He made his way into his room and locked the door behind him.  He sent the picture off to Kelly and sent her a message about Midge's confession before stripping down and crawling into bed.  He wondered if he should have been more supportive of the boy's delusions, since he could burn the place down or something if he was pissed off.  That thought spurred a train of very bad thoughts which kept him up until almost dawn.  Every time he went out to check on things and use the bathroom, Midge was curled up on the couch in a ball, as nonthreatening as, well, a newborn kitten.