Chapter 88 -- Contact

Scott loaded about 429 pounds of cat stuff in the car and opened the door for Midge so he and Wyatt could slide into the seat.  He grinned to himself at how careful Midge was being and how quickly he'd fallen head over heels.  This was literally the best idea ever.

Midge hated to keep him in his travel carrier but he knew that Wyatt was scared and didn't want him to run away and get hurt.  Stay still, we won't hurt you.  He knew he should help Scott with the things but also knew Scott wouldn't let him so this time he didn't waste time offering.

"Let's get him home and situated, and then we'll handle dinner for your friend."  He pulled onto the road and was parking less than 10 minutes later.  "You going to bring him up?"

"Yes.  I can help with the rest if you would like."

"No, I'll get it.  I'll bring the food up later, she said not to feed him right away."  He followed Midge up the stairs, thankful he'd held the door.  "Keys in my pocket.  Go fish" he offered, grinning.

"Fish again?  There are things better than keys in there, but it is what we need" he answered, grabbing them and unlocking the door.  "Where should I put him?"

"Why not your room?  She said somewhere quiet and small so he wouldn't be too afraid.  Just leave the door cracked and he'll come out when he's ready, I guess."

Midge settled him into his room and set up the litter box, calling to him softly to coax him out of the carrier.  Wyatt was more than eager to jump out and onto Midge's lap but ran under his bed when he laughed.  "I am sorry I scared you kitten.  I must go check on my Scott but I will come back soon" he whispered.

"How is he?" Scott asked, patting the couch next to him.

"Wyatt will be fine.  He is out of his carrier now and exploring."

"We need some dinner, and you want to try the park, right?  I'd rather do it before it gets too dark.  I know you can see, but I'd feel better if I could too."

"Oooh, nuggets.  Yes please.  We will be back soon Wyatt" he called softly as he stepped into his shoes.

They went through the drive-thru, Scott ordering for the 3 of them and then heading towards the old apartment.  "I can't say I love this idea Midge, but if it's important to you we'll do it.  Just stay close, okay?"

"I will" he answered, stepping out of the car, her food in his hand.  He took Scott's with his other hand then headed towards his tree.  "This is where I came when I was bad.  I do not know if she always comes here, but.... Hello!" he called, spying her leaning against the trunk.

        "What the hell do you want?" she asked, defensive.

"I have brought you dinner to say thank you.  Do you remember me?"

        "No.  Do I know you?  Just throw it over here."

"Your drink will spill but here is your food" he said, tossing it.  "I was in your tree a few weeks ago.  You said I could spend the night but I went home."

        "You're the parade freak!  Yeah, yeah, I remember you.  So, he let you come back eh?"  She opened her bag and dug into her burger.

"Would you like your drink?"

        "Yeah, but just you.  Not your freaking daddy or whatever you call him."

Scott shook his head and rolled his eyes as Midge walked over towards her.

        "So, did he punish you?  Are you okay?" she asked.

"No, he did not.  He was very worried about me.  I was worried about you during the storm."

        "Shit was intense.  I rode a bus through it, I'm too smart to stay outside in that."

"I am glad you were safe.  Oh, I brought you a few granola bars to keep."  Midge reached into his hoodie pocket and pulled out 4 bars.

        "You're sweet, really."

"What is your name?" he asked.

        "It's Ashley.  What was yours again?"

"Midge.  You have beautiful hair Ashley, I have never seen any so long."

        "Yeah, if I let it down from the ponytail it's past my ass.  Your master is looking grumpy."

"Yes, I should go now."

        "Hey, thanks for the dinner.  You didn't have to do that and I... well.... thanks."

"You are welcome.  I will try to come again if that is okay."

        "You bring me food you can come anytime, kid."