Chapter 23 -- Afterparty

Scott stretched, rolling his head to the side and yawning.  Such a good nap.  "Midge?" he called when he realized he wasn't in bed.

"Yes?" came his voice from the floor.  He was sitting against the foot of the bed, staring out the window with his sketch pad in his lap.

"Midge, some friends of mine are having a party tonight to celebrate Chris' birthday."

"Yes, I know."

"Huh?"

"You and your boyfriend Zac will go have drinks?"

"He's not my boyfriend.  We dated, before, but we're not... we're just not.  How did you know about that?  Ooh.... you  could hear us, right?  Got it.  Yeah, I'd like to go but you can come too, if you want."

"To the party?  Could we not do it here, after?"

"Do what?  You want me to invite Zac here afterwards?  Why?"

"And Chris, of course with his boyfriend, if you want.  It is your choice.  Whoever you decide."

"Nervous about being in public?  I'll be there, it'll be okay.  We'll have a few drinks and then come home, no biggie.  But you don't have to come if you don't want to.  It's your choice."

"I....I have a question.  May I ask?"

"I've never stopped you before Midge, what is it?"

"After you and Zac have drinks, will you call me on the way home? How should I present?  Can I be prepared?"

"I don't know what you're asking me; you're not making sense.  I'm having flashbacks to the first night we met."

"I am just trying to understand what you expect from me because you are... everyone is different."

Scott just shook his head, confused.

"I just wondered if I should do anything special and if they are nice like you?"

"Nothing special required, oh, do you mean like clothes?  But yeah, they're all really good guys, you don't need to be afraid of them or anything.  Besides, I'll be with you."

"Okay, I will try not to be.  Will it be like with you and me or... will you let them use me?"

"WHAAAAAAT?  Wait, hold on.  Back up.  WHAT?"

"I just.... I would rather know, if it is alright with you, what to expect.  If I do not know I will think everything and worry too much."

"It is SO not that kind of party.  Come here."  He pulled Midge into his arms when he came to stand beside the bed.  "I... Do you think I'm going to bring a bunch of guys home and let them fuck you?  As if I COULD let them, only you can do that, but.... is that what you think?"

"Of course, I mean, if I do not have to go.  Someone else will entertain there, right?  Or?"

"Wait, please, let me try to figure out what the HELL is going on right now."  He cleared his throat and rubbed Midge's head, trying to get him to relax.  "Okay, so I mention drinks at a birthday party and you end up asking me if we're going to have an 0rgy afterwards.  More of a gang bang though, I guess.  Um, I'm not sure how we got from one to the other.  Has this happened before? Ah, it has, it must have.  Something like this happened before.  Jesus.  Can you help me understand without giving me any details at all?"

"It is a birthday so I thought.... I just, I am sorry.  I misunderstood."

"Understatement of the millenium.  Midge, I won't even use you, how could you think I'd bring a whole damn posse through the bedroom like a damn hooker Santa at Christmas?  And how could you sit there all calm and talk about it?  Like you'd actually do it?"  He stuttered then, trying to form words but he ended up just puffing his cheeks and blowing air out, instead.  "I don't understand you at all.  Are you really that broken?  I'm so sorry."

"I did not mean to make you sad.  I should not have asked.  I had learned to keep my stupid mouth shut but you make me think I am safe and I forget to protect myself."

"But that's just it, Midge, how can you regret asking but not the fact that you would have done it?  You would have, wouldn't you?  If I said, right now, for you to get on all fours on the bed so me and my closest friends could all come use you, you'd do it, wouldn't you?"  He waited then, refusing to speak again until he'd answered the question.  Seconds turned into minutes but still he waited.

"I do not know. Probably."

"At least there's some fucking doubt.  I guess that's something.  Okay, a few things.  1.  I'd like you to come to the party tonight.  Everyone will wear clothes.  There will be no entertainment.  Got it?  2. I would NEVER, quote unquote LET someone fuck you.  3. You are completely in charge of what happens to your body.  I... I hope you'll understand that some day.  4. I am sorry if I scared you at any point during this conversation.  What number am I on?"

"Five."

"5. I am so, so sorry that it happened before.  6. I promised you I would do my best to take care of you and not hurt you and I don't know how to get through your head that THIS would absolutely fall under that category.  7. I'm not mad, at ALL, at you, so please stop shaking."

*** *** *** *** ***

Midge stuck to Scott's side like glue and sipped his club soda, a little overwhelmed but completely fascinated by all the people, and the lights, and the awesome music playing.  He got brave eventually and they danced, and he even took a turn playing the stick and ball table game.  It wasn't nearly as easy to learn as checkers though.

When they were ready to leave, Zac walked them out to the car.

        "Midge, can I talk to you for a second?"

He looked at Scott who nodded and walked around to the drivers side.  "Yes, I think so."

        "Look, I know this may sound strange, and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about" he whispered.  "But, is there any chance you're a Neko?"

"Scott!" he yelled, backing up.

"What?  What did you do Zac?" he asked, coming over to stand between them.

        "Nothing, although that sure as hell answers THAT question.  Look, I'm cool.  It's fine.  I know one, actually, that's why I asked.  Does he know?" he asked Midge, nodding towards Scott.

"Yes, he knows.  Who do you know?  What is its name?"  Midge came forward, his curiousity compensating for his fright.

        "Her name is Misty."

"Does she look like me, with long hair with a white streak in it?"

        "Yeah, exactly, do you know her?"

"Where is she?"  He knew he shouldn't be so bold with a human but in that moment he didn't care.

        "With my uncle, in Arizona.  You know her?"

"Is he Sebastian?  She is my sister.  Can I see her?  I want to see her!"  He pulled on Scott's sleeves, begging.  "Or talk to her?  Please?  Is she okay?  Is she happy?"

"Calm down Midge, we'll sort it out, okay?  Wow, are you serious Zac?  You're not fucking with us are you because I would hate to kill you."

        "No, no, I swear.  I haven't seen her in almost a year, but yeah, my uncle is Sebastian so that must be her.  I can call him and see if we can visit, if you want."

Midge held his breath, looking to Scott and saying a million silent prayers.

"Make it so Captain Kirk."