Chapter 2 -- Warm

Scott grabbed two plates and two bowls from the cupboard and some crackers.  Once the bowls were full and crackers and spoons nestled beside them on the plates, he carried them out to the living room and sat them on the coffee table.  "What would you like to drink?"

"Do you have milk?" Midge asked, hopeful.

"I don't..... I don't know.  Let me look."  He reached into the fridge and pulled out the expired milk.  He opened it to pour it down the sink before catching a whiff and dumping it into the trash instead.  "Nope.  I have cream but that doesn't help.  Sorry."

"Cream would be great."

"No, I mean, like for coffee.  I have water and a bottle of wine and I could make coffee, or tea, oh and a couple of  Red Bulls."

"Oh, water is fine" Midge said, chastising himself.  Stupid, stupid.  People don't drink cream. He slid onto the floor, kneeling in front of the table and picked up his spoon awkwardly.

Scott had sat down on the couch and balanced the plate in his lap.  He watched Midge with fascination.  He is a weird, weird guy.  Also adorable, and funny.  I wonder where he's going to sleep tonight.  Definitely someone's sub, who else would eat like that?   Maybe he's from some weird cult?   "Look, I know this is awkward" he said, putting down his spoon "but, if you need somewhere to stay tonight, you can borrow my couch."  He couldn't believe he was offering to let a stranger sleep in his apartment but something told him it was the right thing to do.

"I..... I do not know."  If he stayed, he would be used, and he really wanted one night to heal, and rest.   But Scott was feeding him, and being so nice that he had to do something for him as well, it was only right.  It was expected.  "I can sleep in your bed, I do not mind."  He said after contemplating his options.  Scott seemed nice, maybe it would be okay.  It was always better for him to go willingly, he'd learned that the hard way.

"Oh, you don't, do you?" Scott chuckled.  "Well I sort of mind sleeping on my couch -- I don't fit all that well.  It's not bad though, I've crashed on it before after some late nights.  Sure beats the street.  I'll get you a pillow and blankets later."

Midge was confused but he focused on his crackers, nibbling them in between bites of soup.  He watched as Scott grabbed the remote and watched him press the buttons, trying to memorize the pattern.  He knew that most people seemed to have no trouble with those things, but he'd never been able to figure them out beyond getting lucky every now and then.

"What do you like?"

"I like the cartoons."

"Deal."  He flipped until he found Adventure Time and turned the volume down low enough that they could talk.

Midge relaxed, thankful that Scott didn't like his TV as loud as most.

"Okay, I hate to ask, but can you take the towel off?  I really can't even think straight looking at that crazy thing.  It's like the Leaning tower of Pisa, or... I don't know, whipped cream."

"I can not until my clothes are dry."  He was so, so bad at this.  He was always found out.  It wasn't his fault though, he was bad at lying.

"Sometimes you don't make any sense, Midge.  Is that really your name?  Midge what?"

"It is the only name I have."

Scott stood and took his plate to the kitchen, then came back and looked down at Midge's, still half full.  "Want something different?"

"No, no, it is good.  Can I keep it, please?"  He still held one cracker in his hand and he put the other protectively around his plate, pulling it towards his chest.

"Wow.  Yeah, of course.  But if you don't like it, I have other food.  Didn't mean to rush you."  He sat back down and turned his head towards the TV, trying to keep one eye on Midge.  He couldn't tell how thin he was, under his clothes.  The boy acted like he was starving on one hand but also ate the slowest he'd ever seen.

"I can see you looking at me.  Why are you hiding it?  Are you mad that I am going slow?  I am not trying to be a problem." he almost whispered.

"I don't know what you're talking about half the time, Midge.  I'm sorry I was staring.  I was trying to not be rude, but obviously failed.  You're not a problem.  Take your time."  He was really, really rethinking the whole 'letting this guy have access to my apartment all night' thing, but he'd already offered.  "Hey, do you like ice cream?" he asked, his scratchy throat reminding him that he'd bought some earlier for this exact reason.

"I LOVE ice cream!" Midge said, jumping up. "What do I have to do?"

"Do?  Um just finish your dinner, if you want any more, and then I'll get us some.  I'll grab blankets and a pillow for you while you eat."  He stood and walked into the hallway, returning with a pile that he placed next to the couch.  "I'm going to check your clothes so you can get that turban off your head."  He came back with the black hoodie and handed it to Midge.  "The jeans are still wet, but maybe this will help?"

Midge grabbed the shirt gratefully and dashed to the bathroom.  He took off the sweater and towel and arranged his hair, then put the hood up and tied the strings.  He checked everything in the mirror before heading out.  When he got to the living room, Scott was bringing back two huge bowls filled with ice cream.  "Do I get one?" he asked, bouncing slightly on the balls of his feet.

"Of course, I'm not THAT big of a pig."  He sat down on the couch and put one of the bowls down in front of him, then gasped as Midge launched over the back of the couch and landed on the cushion next to him.  "Okay then...."  He bit back his curiosity as Midge let his bowl sit, his attention seemingly focused on the TV.  When he finished with snack, he stood but this time he knew to ask first.  "Finished?"

"You want the bowl?  Okay, I understand."  He picked it up but instead of handing it to Scott, he tipped it back and drank the now mostly melted ice cream straight from the bowl.  When he finished, he licked his lips.  "Thank you so much."

Scott reached out and took the offered bowl, shaking his head the whole way to the kitchen.  What the HELL have I gotten myself into?