Chapter 59 -- Apartment

"It is empty" Midge said, stepping to the side to let Scott shut the door.

"That's how they come, dear.  Let's explore!"  He grabbed Midge's hand and opened the first door off the living room.  "Bedroom -- let's see how the closet is."  He ducked over, pulling Midge along behind and opened it up.  "It's HUGE!!!"

"Who would need this much space?" he asked, walking inside and spinning.

"I would, and I do.  This one is SO mine!"

"That is fine.  I do not need a room anyway and certainly not two" he answered as Scott pulled him towards another door.

"Bathroom, boring.  It looks fine though.  Ooooh, here we go, your room."  He walked in, then went to the large window.

"This closet is even bigger" Midge said, walking in and going around the bend to reveal another section.

"No fair!"  Scott joined him and wrapped his arm around his shoulder, pulling him into a kiss.

"This is a very nice closet.  I am sure I can find some use for it." Midge said playfully, pulling at one of the bars to test its strength.  "Yes, I think it will work."

"You're testing... I.... damn boy.  It's not ours yet, we'd better look at the rest of it before she comes back and finds us here."  He placed one more quick kiss on Midge's forehead before heading back out into the living room.  "I like it, I really do.   Want to see the balcony?"

"Very much.  It would be nice to go outside and not worry."

"The railing is nice and high, and it's big!" Scott announced, spinning in a circle with his hands outstretched.  "No one would even see your tail and there's room for lounge chairs for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.  I may never leave."

"Your pale will burn."

"Pfffffffft fine.  You'd do my back, right?" he winked.

"I would."  He walked over, now that Scott had stopped spinning, and snuggled under his arm.  "Do you like it?"

"I do.  Do you?"

"I will be very comfortable here.  I just... I will miss you.  But I can still sleep with you sometimes, right?"

"Anytime you want Midge, don't worry."  He stared out over the balcony at the nearby buildings.  "It feels good, and I like the area.  I also like that it's away from that Steven jerk, not that I think he'd try anything now.  Hell, he probably still can't walk, or breathe."

"You may be right" he said sadly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad.  Let's go back in and look around again, okay?"

Midge was on the counter, his legs wrapped around Scott's waist, when he heard footsteps.  "She is coming, Scott."

"How long?" he murmured, not wanting to end the kiss.

"Now."

He stepped back and rolled his eyes.  "I could have kissed you for at least 8 more seconds.  So, we want it, right?"

Midge nodded and smiled, then jumped down off the counter and arranged his tail, leaving Scott to open the door and talk to the complex manager.

*** *** *** ***

Half an hour later, papers signed, they made their way back into the car.  "Okay little one, we need to talk about Thanksgiving.  I'm going to be gone on Thursday to do two shows, but I'll be back Friday and we can celebrate then, okay?"

"That is fine."

"But right now, I have a treat for you.  Sort of a going-away present."  Scott was so giddy he clapped his hands softly, a huge grin on his face.

"What is it?"  His curiosity was peaked.

"A surprise."  He pulled his cat-eared hoodie from the back seat and slipped into it, then got on the highway.

"A surprise like DisneyLand?"

"Not that big, but close.  Have you ever been to the zoo?"

"A zoo?  No, I have not.  The animals are in cages, right?"

"They call them habitats to make it sound nicer, but yeah.  Does that bother you?  I'm such a dumbass, I didn't even think about that."

"No, no, I just do not want to be eaten."

Scott laughed so hard tears rolled down his cheeks.  "Oh god Midge, you kill me.  You'll be safe, I promise.  The zoo's not the real surprise though, it's what happens once it's dark that I think you'll love even more."

Midge's mind started doing gymnastics.  "I like being in the dark with you" he said,  teasing.

"Grrrrr"

"You are a bear?" he asked.

"I'd rather be a lion, Midge, seems like we'd get along better."

"Ah, you are funny, my Scott.  Yes, you would make a very good lion."