Chapter 36 -- Standoff

And then all hell broke loose. Zac grabbed Scott's arm and tried to pull him back while Misty jumped in front of Sebastian.

        "Want to have a cat fight, do you?  Not what I was planning on today, but I do love to be entertained" Sebastian said, grinning while cradling his jaw.

        "No.  Misty, sit down, it's okay now" Zac begged.  He pulled Scott a step further back but she didn't move.

Midge was on his feet too, already standing between Misty and Scott, finally getting to look into her face although it was filled with rage towards his master.

"Sit down Midge" Scott said, worried he would get hurt.

"I... I can not let you come to harm.  You are in danger.  I am sorry for my disobedience Sir." Then, under his breath softly enough that he hoped no humans would hear "I am sorry Misty.  I love you, no matter what happens.  I only meant to bring us joy."

        "He doesn't know how this works, does he pet?" Sebastian said to Midge.  "Explain to your master all about cat fights and what's about to happen.  You're a boy, I'm sure you've been in plenty of these.  Tell him what he's started, here.  Oh never mind, I'll do it.  I don't want to hear your smart mouth anyway.  This is easy, Scott.  Misty will defend me, all I need to do is nod my head or say the word, and she will attack you.  Midge will try to stop her and we will have one HELL of a cat fight on our hands."

"Midge, don't fight her.  No matter what."

"I will not stand by while you are hurt, Sir.  I can not do such a thing."

        "Uncle Sebastian, please!" Zac demanded.  "Don't do this, she's his sister!"

        "They're just Nekos and I'll do whatever I please, Zachary.  How dare you take advantage of my hospitality this way?  I am doing you a favor and THIS is how you thank me?  Your friend has HIT me and you stand there reprimanding *me*?  Get the hell out of my house.  Right now.  All of you."

"NO!" Midge yelled, grabbing out for Misty's hand.

        Quick as lightning Sebastian's hand flew and smacked Midge across the face causing his entire head to jerk to the side.  "What did I say to you about that mouth of yours?  SHUT UP! You don't get to touch my property!"

Midge fell to the floor on his knees and Scott lunged for Sebastian, breaking free from Zac momentarily.  The split second it took him to figure out how to get around Misty was all Zac needed to stop him and bring him to the ground.

        "Don't make this worse Scott, get Midge out of here!" Zac begged.

"He fucking HIT HIM!" Scott spat, pushing at Zac.

        "You told me to take care of Midge and he NEEDS TO GO!  I can't hold you and Sebastian.  Get him OUT!  GO!"  He watched Scott's eyes flash in anger and then resignation as he accepted his words.

"Fuck, you're right.  Okay, let me up.  We'll go"  He lifted Midge and ushered him ouf the door and put him into the car, crawling into the back seat with him.  "Are you okay?  Midge?"

Midge said nothing, he couldn't.  He stared out the window towards the house, his hand pressed to the glass, tears running down his face.

        A moment later Zac walked out and slid into the driver's seat.  "I'm so sorry.  I swear I had NO idea he would... that it would... shit.  Thanks for waiting for me.  Where to?"

Scott heard him but didn't listen, his focus on Midge.  "Look at me, let me see your face."

He turned obediently, his eyes lowered.

"Are you okay?" he tried to see but it was too dark in the shadows of the evening.  "Turn on the lights Captain."  They flicked on and he tilted Midge's head to the side, then up.  "You're going to have a nasty bruise, I'm afraid.  We need to get you some ice."

Zac knew where to find that, at least, so he put the car in drive, dimmed the lights, and headed towards his house.

Midge turned back to the window, pulling away from Scott's touch.  After they passed, he sat up backwards in the seat and watched until the house disappeared when they turned a corner.

"I'm so sorry Midge."

"It is not your fault Master."

"Please stop calling me that.  I know you wanted to do it in front of him but please, no more."

"Whatever you like."

"Come here, please?" he asked, moving towards the middle and pulling Midge close.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to fuck it up.  Forgive me?  Please?"

"There is nothing to forgive."

"Of course there is.  Midge?  I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have hit him, I just.... the shit he was saying, how he was treating you, and her, I just couldn't stand it.  Did you hear what he said?  He thought I would leave you with him!  Like the two of you are fucking interchangeable or something."

"We are.  We are just Nekos."

"Don't say that, you are not *just* anything, little one."  He gently wiped a tear from Midge's cheek but there was nothing he could do to stop their falling.

Zac parked the car in his driveway.  "Be right back."  A few minutes later he returned with an icepack.  "Scott, do you want to drive?  I programmed the gps for the closest decent hotel.  Or I can, and I'll get a cab back once you're settled."

"I guess I should.  I think we need some time alone.  Thanks, for everything."

        "I'm really sorry Scott, I am."

"I know, and it's not your fault Zac.  It was mine."