Chapter 6

"Hey buddy, you ready to go shopping?" Xander asks as he walks into the room pulling on a button up shirt, he kisses me gently before ruffling Ariel's curls. "Looks like you need a haircut hm?" He teases and Ariel sighs.

"I like his curls, makes him look like his father." I say defensively as I shrug and Ari smiles at me as Xander furrows his brows, he never met Harry. I started dating him over a year after I last saw him. "Ari and I make you some pancakes." I smile as I present him with a plate.

"Oh thanks guys but I'm on a carb fast, gotta stay in shape for postseason. Coach thinks we have a shot at the World Series this year." He says slapping his firm abs and I frown.

"Ok, more for us then Ari." I say trying to keep the mood light, I grab his hand and bring him over to the table before setting plates in front of both of us. Xander makes some gross smelling protein shake with fish oil while we eat, remind me not to kiss him until he brushes his teeth.

"So what do we need to get today?" Xander asks looking over at us. 

"He needs clothing, pajamas and some toys." I shrug hoping he won't make too big of a deal about it.

"You handle the clothes and I'll take the toys." He smirks as Ariel smiles at him. One thing about Xander, he is a kid at heart. He may not care for them but put a lego set in front of him and he'll build it with them.

See why I feel like I could change his mind?

**

Hours later were were exhausted and my savings account was hurting but Ariel had everything he needed, I just don't know how I'm going to do this long time. I mean I'm used to buying him stuff here and there but now I'm his mother basically. 

The next few days flow well, Xander had some intense training so it was mostly Ariel and I. I still haven't talked to Xander though, I'm nervous.

It's been just over a week since Ariel came to stay with us, Xander had just gotten home and we were tangled together in a heated exchange when there's a knock on the door.

"Angel, I had a nightmare." Ariel cries, Xander huffs in frustration as he pulls himself off of me.

"This is only for a few more days right?" He asks as he tugs on some pants, I bite my lip nervously and look down. "Angel" He warns and I cave.

"They left him Xander, I'm all he has." I whisper and his brows furrow.

"What do you mean they left him?"

"They sold the house, we had to buy all that stuff for him because they got rid of most of his or it didn't fit." I rant, Jerica's voice can be heard soothing Ariel and I'm so thankful so Xander and I can hash this out.

"So what? you're adopting him?" He asks in disbelief and I sigh before pulling on a shirt and some shorts.

"I'm his legal guardian." I say softly, Xander runs his hand through his hair as he paces the room.

"And you've known since you got him? Why the fuck didn't you say something?" He growls as I play with my fingers.

"I know how you feel about kids."

"How WE feel about kids Angel, I'm not the only one that doesn't want children in this relationship." He points out and I look at him as tears threaten to spill.

"I don't know what I want Xander, I mean I know I want you... I was just hoping that maybe you'd change your mind as we got older. It wasn't until recently that I realized I actually might want kids." I shrug and my gaze falls from his beautifully angry golden brown eyes to the floor.

"Change my mind? Angelic you know what my childhood was like!" He seethes.

"Yea so don't you want to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else? Especially my brother for fucks sake." I retort pleading desperately.

"Look he's a good kid and all, I'm just not the one to help raise him." He says grabbing his jacket.

"What would you have me do then Xander? Surrender him to CPS?" I sneer and he sighs.

"Angel, you're only 23. You're in school, have a part time job and you're about to pose for Maxim. You are in no shape to raise a child." Xander chides and I can't help but take offence.

"I'd break the cycle and be a better mother then my own at least." I snap and he hangs his head before grabbing his shoes.

"What about his dad? Shouldn't you see if he can take him?"

"I'm not going to hand my little brother over to someone he doesn't remember Xander plus my mother completely destroyed him financially, I don't even know if he lives here still or is even alive." I rant as tears stream down my face. 

"Well I guess you should find out." He sneers as he grabs his wallet before tossing some clothes into a bag.

"Where are you going?" I sob and he huffs.

"You need to figure this all out Angel, let me know when you do."