Chapter 14

"Ari, I'm back!"

"We're in the kitchen." Jerica's voice sounds as I bring in all of the toys Harry bought him. After it's all inside I tuck Teddy behind my back and walk into the kitchen where Jerica was cleaning and Ariel was dressed in some new pjs eating some chicken noodle soup.

"I have a surprise for you." I smile, Ariel's eyes light up and he jumps out of his chair.

"What is it? Oh I can't wait, I CAN'T WAIT." He squeals and I chuckle before presenting teddy to him. "TEDDY!!!! How did you find him?"

"Well I found out where he was from and got you a new one." I explain and his face drops.

"But MY teddy was from my dad." He mumbles sadly and I kneel down to his height.

"So is this one." I assure him, he looks up at me with his bright green eyes full of wonder. "That's why I've been gone all day, I found your dad."

"You did? But mom told me he didn't care about me-"

"We both know that mom isn't the best person in the world, right Ari?" I say cautiously and he nods. "Well sometimes people, especially people who aren't kind, they lie. Your dad is a kind and caring man who never stopped thinking about you."

"Does that mean I have to go live with him?" He asks in fear of being moved again.

"No sweetie, you will stay with me. What it does mean is that you have a chance to get to know and have a relationship with him."

"What if he doesn't like me like Xander?" Ariel mumbles and my heart breaks.

"He's your father Ariel, he's loved you since the day you were born." I assure him and pull out my phone to pull up the photo of Harry and the bear. "See how much you look like him Ari?" I whisper as his eyes widen.

"That's him? That's my dad?" He whispers and I nod, Ariel pulls his teddy to his chest and breathes in the lingering scent of his father. "When can I meet him?"

"Tomorrow if you like." I reply and he nods his head enthusiastically. "He may of gotten you some new toys if you want to go into the living room and check them out." I inform him and his eyes widen, he hugs me before running into the living room.

"OH MY GOSH, IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS." He squeals as I stand up, Jerica plates some food for me but I rub my stomach.

"I'm so full, thank you though." I smile and she nods.

"So it went well?"

"Extremely, Jer he is nothing I expected." I reply sighing as I lean back against the counter.

"Why are you all starry eyed? Reminds me of when you met Xander." She teases and I roll my eyes.

"He's just.... Ugh I don't even know."

"Let me see him." She says holding her hand out for my phone, I load up the photo of him with the teddy and hand it over. "That's Ari's father?" She says gasping.

"Yea..."

"He's hot as FUCK, what the hell?" She says as she scrolls through my phone.

"He's so different then I remember, he had shorter hair that was always kind of unruly and he wasn't as tall." I explain as she narrows her eyes at me.

"You're into him." 

"Jerica you're crazy, he's my stepfather." I roll my eyes and she huffs.

"EX-stepfather and Angel, he's definitely into you." She chirps as she shows me a photo a worker had taken, Harry was gazing down at me as I looked up at him. "You can feel the chemistry oozing from this photo girl." She adds and I take my phone from her. 

"You're delusional plus I'm with Xander and Harry is.. Well Harry. I will admit I don't know what the fuck my mom was thinking cheating on him with Jaxon though, major downgrade there." I add with a smirk.

"That's for damn sure, he'd be an upgrade for you though." She says winking and I sigh.

"I thought you liked Xander." 

"I did until yesterday, he's on my about to lose his dick list." Jerica retorts and I giggle.

"Maybe Harry being in Ari's life will help ease his mind and we can go back to normal." I shrug, she shakes her head and goes back to cleaning as I head into the living room. I chuckle as I lean back against the door frame and watch Ariel play with all of his new toys.

"Come play with me Angel!" He squeals and I nod before joining him.

Ariel was the happiest I had seen him in a long time, one small gesture from his father made him so happy and I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow when he meets him again for the first time since he can remember. I must of lost track of time, before I realized it was already after 10 and past Ariel's bedtime.

After a few books he was sound asleep curled up on the pullout surrounded by his new toys, I couldn't help but feel a little bad seeing the toys Xander had bought him cast aside for the gifts from Harry. Once in my room I stripped down and took a long, hot shower as I try to deal with the emotions of the last week. 

It's like my body is numb, I know over time Xander and I will be fine but there's a small inkling there.... What if it's not meant to be ok?

My eyes feel heavy and swollen, I want to cry but my tears are all dried up. All I know is that Ariel will be ok, that's what's important. 

Once I was done with my shower I go to pull on one of Xander's old shirts but it didn't feel right so I tugged on a tank top and some pj shorts instead. After I'm dressed I fling myself on my bed and try to get some sleep but after twenty minutes or so of tossing and turning I huff before reaching for my phone. My eyes land on the business card underneath it, before I know it I'm punching in the number and texting it.

"Hey Harry, it's Angelic. Just wanted you to have my number and to say thank you for today." I type quickly and send it off, seconds later my phone lights up with a reply.

"It was my pleasure love, isn't it past your bedtime?" He replies with a winking face and I roll my eyes.

"My bedtime is whenever I please and for your information, I can't sleep." I retort and toss my phone to the side only for it to begin to buzz. "Hello?" I answer without looking at the caller ID.

"You know I was just teasing right? I can't sleep either." Harry's rich voice sounds through the phone.

"What is some long legged blonde keeping you awake?" I tease and Harry chuckles.

"No, nothing like that. Just excited for tomorrow, did Ariel like Teddy?" He asks.

"He loves him, won't stop hugging him. He loves everything you got him Harry, it's like the toys Xander had gotten him don't even exist now."

"Well I'm sure each toy will get equal opportunity." He chuckles and I smile. "How are you feeling about everything?"

"I feel good about tomorrow if that's what you mean." I reply and he sighs.

"You can talk to me about things unrelated to Ariel, you know that right?" Harry asks. "I mean I know we just reconnected but I'm a good listener and a fairly good advice giver." He adds without letting me respond.

"Thank you Harry, it means a lot. Honestly I don't know how I feel, I just want this feeling to be over and everything back to normal." I explain.

"It will be ok Angel, everything happens for a reason."