Chapter 3 - Gaia Clan

(Wayo's POV)

After we get home from the hot spring, I go to my room to start packing things even though there is still a week left to do that. I am excited to go to study in neutral lands, so I use the energy to pack stuff. I don't really need to bring a lot of things but at least I want to make sure I bring my favorite clothes and other things. My figurines are here... my comic books are here... now, where are my glasses? There they are.

I take a look around my room to see that my glasses are there on the shelves next to the window. My body stops moving as soon as I see into the scenery. The forest, dark, with the moon light giving eerie light all over the place. I gulp, but I try to walk to the shelves. I think I forgot to close the window before we went to the hot spring. When I hear wolves howling, I jump and run to the window to close it. Phew, I almost had a heart attack.

My heart is beating so fast, and somehow I feel like crying when I see darkness. I can't bear being alone in the dark, not because I am irrational but this feeling is so weird and real. I get even more scared at night when it is raining. 

I know there is nothing to be afraid of but I can't help it. I don't believe in ghosts but I know that there are visible spirits roaming around. I should not be too scared of the dark, the deity of Gaia Clan is looking over me and protecting me from the sky.

"OMG! MING!!" I scream when I suddenly see Ming on the bedside.

"What? Why are you so surprised?"

"You scared the hell out of me, asshole! Knock the door first!"

"You will be startled even if I knock the door first, idiot."

"Why are you here?"

"Mom asked me to get you, everyone is already waiting for dinner."

"Right, let's go~" I slip my hand into his then he shakes his head as he chuckles.

Our clan is this warm. We always have meals together and mingle with everyone as we eat. In our territory, we have a huge dining hall where anyone from our clan can come to when they are hungry. There are other facilities as well but dinning hall is my favorite. They have a piano there on the stage.

Although the distance is not that close, we can easily go there. Every clan member can easily go there, because they usually come to the dining hall using magic. Only high leveled casters can use teleportation magic (neutral element), but as earth magic users, our clan members can manipulate the ground and use it to bring them to places really fast. Some people manipulate the ground to form a flying mat, some people use the ground to form a vehicle, and some people are even more creative than that.

This is earth magic users' territory, so we are free to use earth magic here. I also want to manipulate the ground T_T

Oh well.

"Do you want me to summon Byakko?" Ming asks me.

"Really? No shaky trip using the ground? We are going to ride Byakko?!"

"You looked down earlier so I want to cheer you up, asshole."

"Thank you, Ming! You are the best brother ever."

"As if you have any other brother to compare, haha."

When we get to an open field, Ming starts enchanting the spell. Byakko is a tiger demon, as big as it can be. A beautiful white tiger which can be summoned by earth magic users and wind magic users.

"Here, I open the gate to Valhalla. Thou art to abide by the words of your summoner. I summon thee: Byakko!"

Ming's mana flies around the open field, illuminating the dark night with his yellow colored magic. A big magic circle spreads around us, then a big white tiger starts forming as the magic circle shines brighter.

"ROOAAARRR"

I close my ears because Byakko always roars out loud. This is not the first time I meet Byakko because Ming has summoned him for a few times.

"Byakko, how are you?" I hug his giant paw.

"Little one, we meet again." He gently rubs my head with his other paw.

"Be gentle or you'll crush Yo, Byakko."

"Oh my, I'd be glad to crush you instead, master. Come here and let me do that."

"Damn you! I am your summoner! So disrespectful. Sigh."

"Hahaha. Don't bully Byakko, Ming."

Demons have the power to send telepathy to those they want to talk with. Byakko sends us telepathy, but I talk out loud because I can't use telepathy. Ming can send telepathy to Byakko, though.

"Yo, I'll raise you up using the ground. Stand still."

"Okay, Ming~"

Ming starts moving his hand as he controls the ground I am standing on, raising me high so I can reach Byakko's neck. I jump to Byakko then get a grip on his fur. Byakko is so fluffy. His fur is so soft. Ming joins me then sits behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning his chin on my right shoulder.

"Let's go, Byakko."

"Roger that, master. To the dining hall, again? I am a noble demon, but you use me as a taxi."

"Don't complain now, white tiger. Come on, we're hungry." Ming whines.

Byakko heaves a sigh that blows away the whole grass field in front of him. Then he starts jumping high and run as fast as he can when he lands on the ground. It's so fun! I scream and laugh out loud as I feel the cold breeze of the wind. I am scared of night, but not when I have companion. I guess I am just scared to be lonely in the dark.

When we get there, our parents are already sitting on the royal chairs. There are so many chairs around the big table. There is a stage in the hall and that is where my parents are sitting. There is one more thing there, a piano! I want to play!

"Ming, I'll play the piano now."

"Oh? You don't want to eat first?"

"Nah, I want to play first. Let Byakko sit outside, I want him to listen to me playing."

"That would be wonderful. I miss your music."

"Hey, don't butt in, white tiger. You are rude."

"I am not rude, master. I'll keep my mouth shut when Yo plays."

I am quite used to Byakko sending sudden telepathy to us, he is already a part of our family. Byakko can be summoned by the members of Gaia Clan and Aeolus Clan, but Aeolus Clan usually summons Seiryuu. Gaia Clan has a stronger bond with Byakko than Aeolus Clan does. We also summon Genbu time to time, but Genbu is quite scary and the bond is not that strong between our clan with her.

As I walk to the stage, people wave their hand at me and I wave back. As the son of the clan master, of course I am known by the clan members. I don't see myself as someone more special than them though. When I reach the stage, I give my parents a kiss on the cheeks before sitting in front of the piano.

My fingers start to slowly dance on the piano keys, left and right, up and down gently. The lively dining hall has now become quiet as they listen to my music. Closing my eyes, I spread the happiness to all the clan members by using a cheerful piece of music. I sway my body around as I start singing. Nothing else but my voice and the piano can be heard in the hall.

As I end the song, I open my eyes to see their smiling faces and they clap their hands as they call out my name. I am feeling so proud about my skill in music, that is why I chose to study classic music as my major in the college. I want to know more about music.

I will make the Gaia Clan proud of me.